Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Funniest mistake or faux pas in an email?
  • scud
    Free Member

Posted this a reply in another thread but thought it might bring a funny replies..

I work for a large insurer and get update emails that often comment on weather, as number of claims tends to go up on both household and motor with adverse weather unsurprisingly, we got an email at the end of last week with:

“Get your willies out” quickly followed by a very quick retraction of the email once we’d all read it, she’d meant “get your wellies out..”

funkmasterp

An old colleague of mine once told a customer that she’d applied a discoc$&t to their order instead of a discount. She was known by that name until she left.

cubist
    Free Member

Sent a female customer an email saying “I am just chasing you for the blow”

Not the first time dropping an e has got me in trouble 😀

ferrals
    Free Member

My somewhat niche industry has a mailing list for general job adverts / announcements / conferences /questions.

A few months ago someone posted up a job advert for one of the big consultancies. Someone responded (presumably accidentally) to the entire mailing list with “xxx contacted me last week saying he was unhappy at his current place of employment and did I have any vacancies – you could contact him. Here is his CV/details”

I can imagine that was a bit of a ‘doh!’ moment!

stumpy01

My Wife sent me a text not long after we started going out.

She was out with a mate, quite drunk & sent me a text to say she’d be home soon and had just treated herself to a ‘man sandwich’, rather than a ‘naan sandwich’.

I never did get a full explanation….

DezB
    Free Member

I blame Lotus Notes for this – I sent a woman I was saucy messaging (thats what we call it, isn’t it?) the following words:
    “I thought you liked it rough”
    “Er, MrB?” came the words from the other side of the desk, from my female boss.
    😳

rs89
    Free Member

I once managed to setup my email signature so that rather than saying “regards, xyz”, it said, “retards, xyz”.

Went several weeks before I realised and no one told me (or didn’t notice!)

Gary_M
    Free Member

I once managed to setup my email signature so that rather than saying “regards, xyz”, it said, “retards, xyz”.

Our ops director sent a company wide, so approx 3000 email users, ‘thank you’ email and signed off with ‘Best Retards’, oh how we laughed 🙂

mechanicaldope

The spell checker changed my email from “Hi Nazier” to “Hi Nazi”. That took an apology and the adding of her name to the custom dictionary.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My sister in law heads a recruitment company in Edinburgh

They were at an interview stage for the new Rector of Dundee University. She sent a group email to the girls in the office that she was off to interview the “hot” Brian Cox.

Imagine her surprise when it wasn’t the astrophysicist but the Dundonian actor.

Her nine year old daughter face palmed her.

Thankfully her employer is blissfully unaware that she doesn’t know the difference between the British Legion from the Foreign Legion

While I’m on a roll, she returned from a trip from the garden centre handing my brother an Aquatic plant saying pop that in somewhere darling. My brother, bemused said, ‘We don’t have a pond!”

Alex

Someone responded (presumably accidentally) to the entire mailing list

– would that be HE by any chance… I saw that 😉

Been there, done that!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’ve replied all instead of forwarded an email, completewith (fortunately written in acceptable language) disparaging remarks about the sender and how he was going out of his way to make life difficult.

By all accounts he carried a copy of said email with him to meetings for some years when we’d been spec’d in order to dissuade potential clients from using us.

Northwind

I did “Best retards”, in an email to Scope UK.

lunge

I once sent a pic of Super Hans with the title “this crack is really moreish” to a client who had a very similar name to a colleague of mine. Thankfully he was a Peep Show fan and found the e-mail rather amusing. Had he not been a fan the pic and quote would have taken some serious explaining.

ratherbeintobago

Had an email from a colleague; replied along the lines of ‘FFS, not this again, don’t worry, will explain when I see you’. Only problem being it wasn’t my colleague (called Christina) but her brother in law (called Christopher) who works in a different department.

Two colleagues at a different organisation contrived to have an email spat sufficiently awful & public that their organisation removed ‘Reply All’ as an option from their email clients…

chakaping
    Free Member

Instant messaged a female colleague (who I’d not actually met IRL) in the Yorkshire office to see if she was free to help with a job.

“Are you busty?”

jamesfts
    Free Member

Incorrectly set up my out of office/auto reply in a way that kept bouncing emails back and forth to the point where it killed the company’s email system – I had something like 35,000 emails to delete when I got back from holiday.

Also, kisses.

scud
    Free Member

I have also emailed a guy in a solicitors we use in London called Kim asking where he’d like to go for dinner, instead of my wife Kim. To be fair, he was up for it!

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Working for the NHS the address book tends to be quite large, I have received an email from a Nurse in Wolverhampton telling me “love you”, I sent one back saying “That’s nice, but I think you emailed the wrong person”.

Still nothing on our Ros though…

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3935198/NHS-email-servers-paralysed-bungling-staff-trigger-mass-spamming-health-worker-Britain-186million-messages-sent-out.html

Cougar

The spell checker changed my email from “Hi Nazier” to “Hi Nazi”. That took an apology and the adding of her name to the custom dictionary.

Lotus Notes again. We worked with a woman called Smeena, whom the inbuilt spellchecker insisted was called Semen.

franksinatra

A few years ago about two weeks after my wife started a new job I emailed her telling her exactly what I thought of her new boss. Completely explicitly I managed to send it to her new boss.

I was in a lot a of trouble.

yunki
    Free Member

My mum and a girlfiend were next to each other on my contacts list so that my mum received a message that read-

Don’t bother coming round for dinner on Sunday unless you’re planning on giving me a blow job

Gary_M
    Free Member

Classy

yunki
    Free Member

Aye… she was a fun lass 🙂

Mister-P
    Free Member

My colleague sent an email letting us know he was going to be on holiday for a couple of weeks but would keep an eye out for impotent emails. His spelling can be a touch limp.

flaps
    Free Member

I had to write a reference once for a guy and i’m not the kind of person to use a signature so started by writing that first, I then started the email and must have found a shortcut to send it shortly after. It read

‘Dear XXXX

I have known XXXX for eight months.

If you need any more information please contact me at xxxx@XXXXXx.com

Yours sincerely

Mr Flaps

BobaFatt
    Free Member

A guy at work accidentally emailed an intimate conversation between himself and his boyfriend to the whole company

Nobody cared

He still dines out on it 5 years later

Still nobody cares

Cougar

I had to write a reference once for a guy and i’m not the kind of person to use a signature so started by writing that first, I then started the email and must have found a shortcut to send it shortly after.

I try to remember to add email addresses after writing an email rather than before it, but it’s a really good idea not to add the recipients until the end if it’s going to a large group of people.

johnx2
    Free Member

meant to type: “would you please now do this”

actually typed: “would you please not do this”

outcome: sub-optimal

metalheart
    Free Member

There was a guy at a place I worked who signed himself up to a (gay) dating thing on his work email account despite being told that the secretaries and the big boss were all copied into EVERY single incoming email….

There was a steady secretarial update on progress, and IIRc recall he didn’t last long in post.

Mind you, I don’t know what else they expected, he was from Dundee…. 😉

bearnecessities

Me, just now. Asking my boss to find out favourite flowers of a member of staff, that has an interest in all things death related.

jimplops

Not me, but a recruitment agency sent my cv to my then current boss asking if there were any vacancies as I wanted out of my job, that took some explaining!

scruff9252

I received an email from a company offering their excellent services in “analytical intelligence to use our data smarter yada yada….” or similar bullshit.

Only they managed to get my name wrong, Job title wrong and the company I worked for wrong… Not exactly confidence inspiring!

wiggles
    Free Member

“Ok I’ll pass that message on to her when i get a chance but it can be difficult to talk to her because she is such a busty lady”

Talking about the head of my department… Was supposed to say busy.

The other thing was true though

ratherbeintobago

Only they managed to get my name wrong, Job title wrong and the company I worked for wrong… Not exactly confidence inspiring!

There is a locum agency who keep emailing me, addressing me by the name of a colleague, despite the facts our email addresses are firstname.surname@organisation.nhs.uk, and that neither of us have anything to do with recruitment or HR.

This hardly inspires confidence they are anything other than a bunch of scalping charlatans.

jamj1974

We used to have an office ‘manager’ who used to send emails that were a little bit unique…

One of our favourites went like this:

“Now what is this I here(sic) about some people being afraid of a little prick”

This related to the arrival of the blood donation unit to the office….

Another was also a genius mail about the scheduled arrival of the digital security camera for ID photos – this was 20 years ago.

“Brush your hair and teeth next week, the security cameras back in town.”

thekingisdead
    Free Member

My mother was CEO of a charity, and after a crisis somwhere sent me + some family an email with a link to make a donation.

I replied (to all) with a one word email of “Chugger”

Only afterwards did I notice she’d also sent it to her entire organisation 😯 😆

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

A certain prison officer called Russ left our establishment a year or so ago to work in a womens prison not far away. He hadn’t had time to go round the wings & say his farewells to staff so he sent an email to our governors secretary asking her to pass on his regards to all the staff he’d worked with at HMP W, which she did.
    My daft mate Chappers read it but not properly & didn’t notice it was actually from the No 1’s secretary, he thought it was from Russ, so he replied & told ‘Russ’ what he expected him to be doing with female prisoners in his custody! (Russ was a right perv anyway) The secretary went along with it & emailed Chappers to say that his email had gone out to every recipient that she’d sent it to, even the No.1 governor! He was crapping himself for ages till she owned up & said it had only got to her.

sparksmcguff

Sending a group email along the lines of “Sandy is now not to be included as he represents competing interests” and not checking the recipient list. Sandy sent me a very nice email with a link to email for dummys 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Funniest mistake or faux pas in an email?’ is closed to new replies.