Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • funkin diy service gone wrong … rev content
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

so the old leaky revs got a service today.
    got a £9 seal kit from evilbay and the oils etc and set about servicing it.
    I’ve done loads of lower leg services/wiper seals etc so that part was fine, took the internals out following the sram guide, popped new seals in and reassembled.
    cycled through the travel with no air in and all felt good.
    inflated +ve chamber all good
    put pump on -ve valve pressure was strangely the same as the +ve pressure id just put in..mmmmm cycled fork through travel at 100psi massive clunky feel and almost no resitance in stroke it went through all its travel to the crown with hardly any pressure on the fork…

took apart double checked everything.

re assembled and inflated +ve chamber, max of 125mm now on fork instead of 140mm and no change in any of the above problems…

any ideas? looking at the internals all laid out i fail to see where Ive gone wrong (apart from buying a £9 seal kit!!)

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Occam’s razor says that the seal kit you bought is crap.

carlphillips
    Free Member

just googled the razor thing 🙂

i think that too…oh well mat as well bite the bullet on a £30 set of o rings.

Green

Its all down to the order you put the air in, I had the same issue with mine. I can’t remember which way round is right, but try emptying both and doing the opposite way to what you did before.

carlphillips
    Free Member

+ve 1st neg last isnt it?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Sounds like the seals on the air piston aren’t sealing, letting the air go straight past & into the negative chamber.
    Get better seals-repeat repair-job done.
    *edit* yes, pump the +’ve up first, so you did it the right way round.

julianwilson
    Free Member

carl’s revs are older shape maxle 140mm air u-turn btw/fwiw.

Carl, did you offer up the old seals against the new ones as you replaced them to check they were the same thickness etc? Methinks the seals for my old air u-turns were not all the same, (or maybe there were more of them) than normal dual air ones.

carlphillips
    Free Member

yes jules they looked about right but obviously aren’t.
    it guts me to spend £30 notes on some bloody o rings.
    oh do you have a 24mm socket as my molegrips are wrecking the top cap!!
    need to finish them before the weekend as got a fathers day ride down the camel trail..dont fancy pedalling the 224 11 miles!!

julianwilson
    Free Member

Ring mr loco and see if he will do you just ones for the air-u turn gubbins (since the others are ok), I can’t see him wanting 30 sheets for three or four correctly-selected o-rings.

I do have a 24mm socket but it’s a star shaped not six sided one: gently with a big adjustable is a bit less slippy than that socket in my experience. You can borrow one of the wilson bikes this weekend if you like.

LoCo
    Free Member

Hi Carl got the message to ring you today bvut phone went to answerphone, off to Champery in a couple of hours, will be back in the workshop Tuesday. Cheers Simon. The official RS kits with all the bolts bottom out stops etc are only ~ £22 too 😉

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

gently with a big adjustable

bit of insulating tape on the jaws of the big adjustable and bobs your immaculate damage free top capped uncle.

carlphillips
    Free Member

@loco thanks simon, was panicking about the weekend so just got tf to send me a pack in the end :oops:, (used your lower leg service kit though :-))

job is just finished and worked a treat (so far) although a tiny mishap checking the +ve seal before installing into the lowers I pumped it up and the circlip mustve slipped and the -ve rod etc came shooting out of the unit!! was pretty funny, anyhow all installed now and seems well. install back on the bike and friday shakedown ride before the fathers day ride.

insulating tape worked a treat cheers ctm

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘funkin diy service gone wrong … rev content’ is closed to new replies.