Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fungle Road or Firmounth Road?
  • sporteus

I’m thinking of doing a circuit to include Mount Keen and the map suggests that the Firmounth Road might provide an alternative route to the Fungle Road between Deeside and Tarfside. It seems to be a shorter (about 10 Km) alternative to the route described in Phil McKane’s book.

Any views?

Steve_B

Always gone by Fungle to include the singletrack near the end of the descent. Firmounth is shorter – tho the initial climb from the split goes 100m higher but then there is more rise and fall on Fungle.

If you are fit enough to do the circuit then the extra 10k won’t be a problem – Fungle down to Birse Castle (and beyond)is now a surfaced track so fairly fast. Just watch you don’t miss the s/t path. The extra distance back to G Tanar is easy pleasant riding.

This assumes going anti-c/w – going c/w I would probably consider climbing Firmounth rather than the steep built path on Fungle. No doubt other more local opinions will be along soon.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Why you’d want to go anti cw is beyond me I’ll plot a Map when I get on a laptop!

IA

As per TR, clockwise, and back via Fungle road FTW.

Fungle road would be better the other way, but trying to climb Mt Keen that way (N->S) would be nigh on impossible, especially if you go for the summit. Whereas it’s fine the other way.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Clockwise for sure, ace descent. I’ve ridden the Fungle but not on that loop – could be worth a try if it makes the second half easier/more rewarding.

Steve_B

The OP s question was Fungle vs Firmounth – I think I have confused the topic 😀

I have done it both ways but did Fungle ascent when it was s/t and waste of a carry

I agree descent N of M Keen is “ace” – tho not for everyone can deal with the rough eroded terrain!

sporteus

Thank you all for the helpful posts. It was my intention to go clockwise as it seems the best option.

trail_rat
    Free Member

more to the point …. with the recent thaw – chances of getting round the cock cairn loop near by!

i do have a fat bike for itand i do live about 15 miles from it so ill probably investigate anyway !

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve always ridden the Mt Keen and Fungle route anticlockwise. Yes, riding up from Glen Tannar is a bitch but it’s possible to get pretty far up. Then hike over the boulders to the top and get rewarded with a stonking loopy descent to Esk (recent punterisation has removed some of the magic, as have the big bikes, it was epic back in the rigid days). I’ve ridden down this way as well after a rear mech died while traversing the summit, it was a very entertaining descent. Climb out of Tarfside is a drudge but all doable with the reward of Fungle to Birse descent (better pre the punterisation in my opinion – but there are other options…), then the last leg screaming climb back up towards the antler hut (have a look in) for the last sweet descent to Aboyne. The Firmounth on the other hand would not I believe make a particularly great descent, it makes for a horrible climb… which can be ridden up if you’re a legend.
    It’s been a few years since I’ve bothered with this circuit, the descents just don’t justify the climbs for me when I know of better stuff… but perhaps it’s time I revisited… and tried it clockwise 🙂

The thought of riding up the Firmounth… *shivers*

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fungle Road or Firmounth Road?’ is closed to new replies.