Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Fundrasing for Maggie's Centres – I'm on the mooch for sponsorship.
  • glupton1976
    Free Member

I’ve mentioned this before – I’m doing the Snow Roads 300km audax on the 25th of May this year and following it up the next day with running/hobbling the Edinburgh Marathon. The purpose of this inevitably painful stupidity is to raise money for Maggie’s Centres. I’m doing it in memory of my father who died from cancer almost 8 years ago – he was also a George.

The link to my justgiving page is given below if any of you have a couple of spare quid to donate to a worthy cause. Another way of looking at making a donation would be thinking of it as ensuring that I am unable to quit no matter how much pain I’m in.

https://www.justgiving.com/George-Lupton1

That’s me on the left of that picture…

Cheers,
    George.

scaredypants

can’t you think of a really long swim for the 24th ? 😉

glupton1976
    Free Member

Scaredypants – you’re not the first person to suggest that.

aa
    Free Member

i’ll donate a little later.

Your challenge makes my charity thing look like a walk in the park!

glupton1976
    Free Member

Thanks. Challenges are relative.

I’ve done both events a couple of times before and they werent too bad individually. The two on consecutive days should be interesting – especially as I’ll probably have to go to work on the monday.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Wee bump.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Anyone else willing to donate to a worthy cause?

glupton1976
    Free Member

10 weeks to go. I’m starting to get worried as my training is not going as well as planned. I’ve had a cough that just wont go away.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Something like 5 weeks to go now. Still not as fit as i’d like to be. Beginning to think that maybe it wasnt the best idea. But hey ho I’m committed now.

sc-xc

I’ll bump this – and donate a fiver if you can acknowledge that the faces on the magazine cover suggest that cycling is anything but ‘fun’….

flap_jack
    Free Member

like the bike on the right – cross brakes and a bar bag.

glupton1976
    Free Member

sc-xc – the faces in the picture tell the true story. There wasn’t much fun being has at that point.

Thanks for the donation.

AlasdairMc

I like your style. Why break yourself once when you can do it twice in close succession…

crikey
    Free Member

😉

glupton1976
    Free Member

AlasdairMc – a few years ago my father died from lung cancer two days before I did the Edinburgh marathon for the first time. So every year when I am injury free I try to do something endurance based to remind myself of the long journey that he had to fight his way through, albeit unsuccessfully. This year the Snow Roads audax and Edinburgh marathon are scheduled to be on consecutive days, so I thought “why not”. I’ve completed both events individually before in decent times, so we’ll see what we can do.

Thanks Crikey.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Less than 3 weeks to go for this now.

Any further sponsorship is much appreciated.

aP
    Free Member

How’s the training going George?

glupton1976
    Free Member

Erm – training was going reasonably well up until a week or so ago. I picked up a couple of injuries which have put the stop to any running training though. I’ve pulled a hamstring, I have a tendinopathy in one of my peroneal muscles which makes it a wee bit sore to walk and I’ve a got a wee bit of ligament damage in the same area.

But I’m still going to go through with the events because no matter what pain, discomfort and psychological battle I have to go through it is nothing compared to that which those who have cancer go through. I’ll sort out the injuries afterwards.

Thanks for the sponsorship.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Less than a week to go now.

Any of you other kind souls care to sponsor me?

300km hilly cycle followed by running a marathon the next day. Raising funds for Maggie’s Centres.
    https://www.justgiving.com/George-Lupton1

epicyclo

Done.

Don’t wreck yourself if you’re not fit. Happy to donate anyway.

glupton1976
    Free Member

http://trafficscotland.org/map/?x=317124&y=818744&scale=198088&itemtypeids=1,2,35,43

The Lecht road is closed due to heavy snow – hope that shifts before Saturday…

s13joe
    Free Member

I am also fundraising for Maggies,

If anyone is feeling double generous

I am doing a half Iron man

http://www.justgiving.com/Joe-Pickup

glupton1976
    Free Member

Tomorrow is the big day on the bike for me.

Please sponsor me at : https://www.justgiving.com/George-Lupton1

glupton1976
    Free Member

******* ******* ****. In Scotland you cant train for the sun and yesterday we had temperatures of 29C at points. Had to pack it in at the 237km mark yesterday due to sunstroke. Legs are absolutely fine this morning, but still cant get cooled down.

Will try again with the Loch Ness Marathon later in the year.

Absolutely gutted.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Fundrasing for Maggie's Centres – I'm on the mooch for sponsorship.’ is closed to new replies.