Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Funding residential care – advice needed
  • offpiste
    Free Member

Situation is as follows – Dad had hip replacement op in September, Mum has had increasing dementia and went into a local home for respite care. Dad has been staying with us but will probably go home soon. Mum is now too far gone to go home so will need permanent care. Dad was going to downsize and pay for care out of that, but apparently local authority can fund care up to a point, although not surprisingly they don’t make it easy. Apparently it’s something like, if spouse is using the house then they don’t count the house as an asset that could potentially be sold. We’ll obviously get some professional advice but wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience and has any pointers? Thanks in advance

mrsfry
    Free Member

Sorry no, but you could try talkint to the ‘citizens advice’ in your area. If there is a way to make things easier and save money, then they will find a way 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Talk with Social Services at your local Council. I’ve found them to be extremely helpful and knowledgeable with much empathy at such a difficult time.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

As cinnamon girls says, the system may feel difficult and unhelpful but most of the actual staff really are there to help.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Dunno where you are but when my dad became too infirm to be looked after by care nurses at his home, Durham social services were awesome & got him into a nursing home where he was looked after till his dying day. I couldn’t thank them enough.

lesgrandepotato

Call the BUPA care services line, they offer plenty of advice and assistance whether you are looking at a BUPA home or other.

Drac

Social Service will help you with this it’s what they are there, I’ve seen them setup emergency care in similar situation to what happened to your Dad. I contacted them and within 30 minutes they arrived at the house and had a place for the client’s partner.

versysrider
    Free Member

funding is means tested so what you say is right. they will not use your dads house as long as he is living there. any savings he has will determine the amount of funding, i think we were told that if my father in law had more than 23,000 in savings, he would have to fund his own care. he had substantially more than that so his savings dwindled rapidly for the last few years of his life. dementia can be heart breaking to deal with, but the care home he was in looked after him fantastically. my wife arranged power of attorney in order to deal with his finances so it may be an idea to talk to your dad at this stage. it’s not pleasant but necessary, i think.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Wife is a social worker 🙄 doing this all day. Basically all of your mums own savings and half of any joint savings are liable for care costs. The house is untouchable whilst your dad lives there as are his assets. I believe ( Mrsccm has just gone too work) that there is 7 year rule that stops you putting all assets into your dads name today!
    Look up CRAG rules on web.

ratherbeintobago

I believe ( Mrsccm has just gone too work) that there is 7 year rule that stops you putting all assets into your dads name today!

Isn’t that to do with inheritance tax?

taxi25
    Free Member

Isn’t that to do with inheritance tax?

Similar rules apply with nursing home costs, otherwise people would give everything away just before they needed to go into one.

joeegg
    Free Member

About 4 months ago my mother in law went into a dementia home. She had been living in her own home with her son,who’s 59.
    Initially the social services said that they would pay the first 13 weeks ( £500 a week )allowing this time for the house to be sold.
    However,the son applied to be classed as a carer for the previous 3 years the mother was in the house. The council accepted this and have now allowed him to stay in the house and the council will contribute £230 a week after he reaches the age of 60 and the house does not have to be sold.The mother has pensions and benefits totalling £200 a week but leaves a shortfall of £70 a week.The council asked the son to sign a form to say that he would pay that,but after speaking to a solicitor he refused.This top up figure cannot be paid out of the mothers savings.
    It seems that if you are a dependant living in the house over the age of 60 then the house cannot be used to fund the care home.
    There didn’t really seem to be any set rules,and the care homes pricing policy seemed to be set on your ability to pay.

steve-g
    Free Member

Hang on, so if you are over 60 and your parents need to go into a care home you can just move in to their house and then it doesn’t need to be sold?

br
    Free Member

I believe ( Mrsccm has just gone too work) that there is 7 year rule that stops you putting all assets into your dads name today!

Which is the last thing you should be doing…, your name (and/or the other children/grandchildren) would be far more sensible. 😉

mattsccm
    Free Member

taxi25 has it.
    Start now to transfer as much as you can, in any way possible, any funds away from, firstly your mum and then dad. “Spend” lots of cash etc 😉 Without being morbid you have to think about inheritance etc as well.
    I know I am slightly biased but I bet you will find that the local social services will be dead helpful. I am allowed to have my own opinions as long as she gives me permission first

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Funding residential care – advice needed’ is closed to new replies.