Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Functionally as good but lighter?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Zee clutch mech
    Superstar nanos
    2012 XT brakes
    Chunky monkey tyres

or do you put up with weight as the trade off for great performance?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

If it’s functionally as good what would the performance difference be?

Are you talking about price? Weight?

Northwind

There’s lighter Nanos- I’ve got a set of mag/tis on one bike, they’re something like 200g lighter but perform the same. Bit less tough as you’d expect though, they shed pins a bit easily. But they’re very good pedals. TBF the steel/alu nanos aren’t overweight for what they are

rob-jackson
    Free Member

mosey -read the thread and the post – functionally as good but lighter?

I_Ache
    Free Member

XTR Cluch Mech
    Ti Nano axles
    2014 XTR brakes
    That should save you a whopping 100g or so.

My usual approach is to buy tough reliable stuff that will last and then worry about the weight. I am more than happy to put up with the weight of something rather than spend loads of money replacing a lighter part more often.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i buy stuff that works – like charge spoon saddles.

if there’s a lighter version, like a spoon with Ti rails, i’ll consider it as long as it offers a 1g/£ (or better) weight saving.

a Ti spoon costs an extra £40, but only saves about 20grams, so i don’t bother.

But, i can buy a thompson carbon handlebar for £100, and it’ll save me 150grams, so it’s on my shopping list.

nedrapier

I think mosey’s reading “functionally as good” as “equal performance”, so if it’s lighter and just as good, there’s no trade off.

Or is your last line working on the possibility that there isn’t anything lighter that performs as well?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Basically i am saying are there any parts that function as well as those in the OP but are substantially lighter and as durable.

E.g. i know that nukeproof electrons are 130g lighter than nanos but perform worse.
    The list in my OP are the only bits that could be changed for a weight saving (i.e. the only really heavy parts), got a reverb but thats going nowhere, gone from spoon to charge knife. Works ring from E13xcx and stainless on-one ring, Superstar excel to ESI grips. All of these changes are functionally as good but lighter.

stevied
    Free Member

Not sure on the weight of either but:
    Xt brakes – Formula R1’s ?

The RO’s knock the spots off my old Tech M4’s and are a bit lighter

Junkyard
    Free Member

must be a tyre lighter than the Chunky monkey that is easily within £1/1g – its about 800 g is it not?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

950g i think

DanW
    Free Member

Zee clutch mech -> Tuned XTR clutch mech ~200g
    Superstar nanos -> ?
    2012 XT brakes -> XTR 444g or R1 355g (levers and calipers only)
    Chunky monkey tyres -> Must be a million tyres lighter and equally functional!

stevied
    Free Member

Chunky Monkey – Maxxis Minion DHF 2.3″ 3C/EXO 845g

ahwiles
    Free Member

rob jackson – Member

i know that nukeproof electrons are 130g lighter than nanos but perform worse.

mine have been faultless, still smooooothe after 2 years – in which time plenty of other stuff has died, worn out, fallen off, begged for a service, etc. sometimes twice.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Charge. Knife has saved 107g over my spoon

ndthornton
    Free Member

I don’t like the sound of a saddle called a “knife”!
    How about a Charge Sponge …..that sounds comfortable and lightweight

andyl
    Free Member

But, i can buy a thompson carbon handlebar for £100, and it’ll save me 150grams, so it’s on my shopping list.

how does the weight compare to an Easton carbon havoc? Not the lightest carbon bar but 750mm and very strong and you can often pick them up from Merlin for £80 so worth considering. Go with a Haven stem too and save a few grams more over an X4.

nicko74

rob jackson – Member

Zee clutch mech
    Superstar nanos
    2012 XT brakes
    Chunky monkey tyres
    Functionally as good but lighter would be rob jackson minus a 1lb dump before riding.

Beyond that, XT mech and that’s about it, really.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Or just think I could save weight on my bike AND do a shit

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I think mosey’s reading “functionally as good” as “equal performance”, so if it’s lighter and just as good, there’s no trade off.

I was. 🙂

Are you taking price into account? I’m sure there are loads of products lighter but cost three times as much.

To be fair your thread wasn’t particularly well written.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

it was rushed but still better than your reply 😉

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Rob read your post again mate, the great performance line negates the lighter weight.

Does the heavier component perform better? Or the same as the lighter component?

Hence why I asked about price 😉

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i know what i mean!!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

i know what i mean!!

Well I’m glad for you then 🙂

Northwind

It’s pretty obvious what was meant tbh

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Well obviously I read it wrong which is fine. I apologise for my misunderstanding.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

lol

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Enve carbon rims FTW… 😉

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

Specialized Butcher Controls maybe. I put a set on last weekend for the Foxhunt and was impressed. Big and aggressive, reasonably priced too. 670g I think on my crappy kitchen scales.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Well – ordered and fitted the Pedals recommended by northwind 🙂 They look ace and are 140g lighter!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I use my weight/cash more wisely these days
    Carbon Frame over Alu – performance and weight saving
    Hope Brakes over lightweight crap – function/performance/longevity over weight
    Wheels – light enough for what I do – spares for heavy duty
    X0 Shifters but X9 Mechs – one is consumable

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Thats kind of what i was getting at – as good but lighter is a rare commodity and sometimes not worth pursuing. E.g. a lighter mech will probably function as well but be weaker ergo a waste of cash!!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep pick your battles, was advised not to bother with upping Shimano Cranks as weight saving as cost wise it’s not worth it but have the LBS on the lookout for some run out SRAM carbon ones.

The only major savings I would do is XX1 and Enve wheels apart from that I’m happy

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Functionally as good but lighter?’ is closed to new replies.