Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Fun trails for young kids?
  • janesy81
    Free Member

So, on hols and took my daughter (5 yrs old) riding at Laggan Wolftrax yesterday. She loved it so much that we ended up going again today and spent most of the day there. It’s currently officially her favourite thing ever, and she’s desperate to go again. I’m obviously thrilled by this level of enthusiasm and keen to keep the momentum.
    However, I think the thing which made it so much fun is the quality of the green trail there. It’s like a proper little trail, with a little climb and a genuinely fun, twisty single track descent, albeit relatively short (3.5km) and smooth. A lot of green/family trails at other centres seem to be fairly dull fire road type affairs (e.g. FoD), and so I’m struggling to think of anything similar near where we live (just north of Bristol).
    So, does anyone have any thoughts on anywhere in the South West or South Wales with anything similar we could try?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Brechfa blue and green are lovely. Rolling, fun trails.

janesy81
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Will give it a try. Now just need to work out a way of getting a loop of Raven/Gorlech in whilst I’m there…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t rule out the blue and green for yourself. Taken at a nimble, they’re great beginners routes, taken at warp speed…… 8)

MoreCashThanDash

If you’re ever in the East Midlands, the blue at Hicks Lodge is great for kids – of all ages.

janesy81
    Free Member

Good shout! My brother in law lives in Ashby, so do head up there from times to time

janesy81
    Free Member

And the blue/green at Brechfa – will definitely give them a proper go next time I’m there. Unfortunately I have to ride really conservatively when I’m with the little one, following a couple of “incidents” when she’s tried to copy me

nolan
    Free Member

If you live near Bristol you could try the blue trail in Leigh Woods which is relatively short at around 4km and nothing too difficult. Also have a slightly longer trail over the road in Ashton Court. See loads of kids out at the weekends.

slightreturn
    Free Member

I like Ashton court. My outlaws live just down the road. So I always take my bike when we leave gods country of Yorkshire to go visit. It’s the only way to keep my sanity, when you spend five days together
    Pretty fast and not to technical.

janesy81
    Free Member

Thanks. Used to ride at Ashton a lot myself. My main concern was that it’s often really busy (always used to be anyway), so we’d be constantly stopping to let people past.
    Could be fun when quiet though – as long as I make sure she takes the chicken lines – not quite ready for consecutive drops into tight a tight left hander just yet 🙂

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Amazed nobody has suggested haldon near Exeter. The easy route there is great. Really sinuous and interesting. Most of the uphill is in one nasty section so can be sorted with a tow rope.

Really good kids trail. ( which is weird as the other trail (s) are shit.

janesy81
    Free Member

Thanks – will give it a go next time we’re down that way.

Am intrigued by the tow rope idea – does it work? Most times we go out together I leave my bike home and just run with her – that way I can give her a little push to help up anything too steep, and it’s good training trying to keep up once the trail starts going downhill!

hatter

If you’re Bedfordshire way Chicksands bike park is great for little ones.

There’s a few pump tracks, a mini BMX course and a few descents that are dooable for tiny ones.

My 5 year old loves it there.

Probably would try and avoid busy Sundays though.

matt_outandabout

The only real answer is to move north, where Laggan is only a taste of what fun there is to be found…

janesy81
    Free Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will give them a go and hopefully keep her hooked!
    Apart from moving to Scotland anyway. If I could persuade my family to decamp and find a job up here then I’d do it in a flash though. Will definitely be back – someone has to keep the midges well fed!

Sent from the cafe overlooking the start of the Fort Bill WC DH

matt_outandabout

😀

IHN

Have you tried the Croft Trail in Swindon? (in the woods near nationwide, obvs)

Only about 5km long, but proper twisty-turny through the trees, has ‘red’ sections that aren’t really that gnarly, most of it is ‘blue’ and sound like what you’re looking for.

mikeys

I wouldn’t write off FoD. The green is no fun for the kids as it’s just a flat loop, but my little six year old loves the kids practice loop over the bridge from the cafe and the new pump track they’ve built. He’s also alright for messing around on a few bits of the blue trail once he’s been given a bit of help up the opening sections. I don’t think it’ll be too long before he is doing more of it (with the right chocolate incentives!).
    Enjoy Fort Bill – I hope your daughter enjoys it :D.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Fun trails for young kids?’ is closed to new replies.