Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fun in the Lakes!
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Just returned from a great week fell-running, mtb and walking in the Lakes. I have been going to Lakes for almost 40 years and never fail to enjoy myself. But what struck me this time was the helpfulness and generosity of spirit from the people I met:

Whinlatter Forest Centre – the lovely ladies in the shop, the cafe staff and the guy in the bike shop. All incredibly welcoming and helpful. The ladies were thoughtful re parking and advice on the trails and a coffee shop that sells HOT coffee to take away – note to national chains, hot not lukewarm!

William at Biketreks Ambleside – thanks for the advice and time. I will be back!

Wearing’s bookshop A’side – still a fave and love the way all books are so neatly wrapped

Keith from A’side – great to meet you at top if Iron Keld and thanks for driving me hard over the rest of the route. I learned a lot and you gave me a lot of confidence on the bouldery stuff

Two days mtb – one at Whinlatter. Well worth the trip. Did all the routes (tiring!) and enjoyed them all – if not some of the exposure on the north trail near the start. Am I getting vertigo? Loved the decents on both N and S trail and great finish to the N. Also enjoyed the blue trail despite crash on the bridge and smashing my helmet.

Second – followed most of standard Iron Keld/Loughrigg route. Started at Ambleside – over L’rigg, Skelwith, Arnside climb to Iron Keld (wow -steeper than expected and very wet and slippy on the grass!), great descent and then link to Hodge Close, Tilberthwaite, Little Langdale, Elterewater (via LH deviation after the gate to take in quick pint at the Wainwright – great technical descent into quarry), Red Bank, L Terrace and home. Great ride.

But as for MTB not creating more erosion than walkers – go and see the track past Arnside farm to Iron Keld. Bike scars in the wet are not a pretty sight!

Nice change to swap off-camber roots of Surrey Hills with the scree and boulder challenges of the Lakes. Can’t wait to get back up north!

IvanDobski
    Free Member

Good in’t it!

I’m sorting my kit for a bit of an easy ride around claife…

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s addictive riding up there, so watch out.

Here’s a not-very-good video of me riding a popular descent near Grizedale a couple of weekends ago, known as “Grandad, Dad and the Dentist” I believe…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkdh4wSKDy4[/video]

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    5spot
    Free Member

Glad you enjoyed it,those bike scars are from the recent trail work thats made it a bit of a mud bath,fun when going down 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

5 spot – bet its much more fun going down. I didn’t make it up without a few short walks – including the start! Shame that descent thru IK is so short but the bridleway back down to the road was surprisingly good fun!

I felt embarrassed by my tire marks from skidding on the way up – and the mess on the side of the trials with people avoiding the rocks/wet patches 🙁

erny
    Free Member

That descent looks really good chakaping where is it?

chakaping
    Free Member

Sorry I couldn’t give reliable directions to the start, but if you go there and ask about the three-stage descent to Satterthwaite I’m pretty sure you’d find it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fun in the Lakes!’ is closed to new replies.