Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fun and affordable trail frame?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

All being well I will have my Voltage sold soon so I’m on the lookout for a new all-rounder frame. I’m still on 26″ and will be for the foreseeable future so hoping to pick up a bargain somewhere. I don’t need masses of travel as I want to be able to pedal it around trail centres and not feel limited to Dh only like I am now, but still want to have fun and confidence on jumps and the dh stuff. My fork is a 160mm Lyrik (tapered) which I’d like to keep using, maybe lower it to 150 if I can. I was looking for a Nukeproof Mega TR but never seem to be able to find the frames for sale, otherwise they look ideal – anything else similar to that? May go back to hardtail but ideally FS if there’s anything good in my price range.

Budget will be about £300, up to 400 at a push. Obviously going 2nd hand.

momo

Orange 5 would be on my shortlist, late model with tapered HT and 30.9 ST

jam-bo

bandit.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Would you get a Bandit or an Orange 5 on that budget?

If you’re looking for a full sus 26″ then I’d just be patient and see what pops up. Sometimes bargains come along.

jam-bo

easily a bandit, maybe a scruffy five.

bandit is betterer. I sold a five to get one via an ST4.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Just had a quick browse on Pinkbike and saw a reasonably priced Bandit frame in Cardiff.

I’d have been tempted myself if I hadn’t just bought an Aeris…

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1996778/

bigjim

What size frame do you need?

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m about 5’9″ so a 16-17″ would probably be about right.

chakaping
    Free Member

Saracen Ariel? I had one, it was a lot of fun.

I’d consider getting a full bike on the cheap and flogging the bits you don’t need.

Here’s a cheapish one…
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1955515/?page=0&lastredirect&directtofirstphoto

Whatever you’re getting, it might be worth sizing up if you can live with the seat tube length – to get better handling.

Kamakazie

Tom, a large Bandit would be fine I’d expect. I am on a medium but in modern terms it’s quite a short effective TT.

Pretty good price as well. I just bought a sh Bandit and am seriously impressed with the stiffness and build quality.

_tom_
    Free Member

Cheers for the suggestions. I always liked the look of the Bandit and the original Ariel,think I’m strictly a medium though ! Only have a 29″ inside leg and still want some standover haha.

Someone has emailed me about an Ibis Mojo HD, what do you lot reckon to that for what I want?

chakaping
    Free Member

My young riding pal is on a Mojo HD and he rides it hard – big jumps, drops to flat and lots of DH tracks.

It seems to hold up OK and he likes it well enough. I found it frighteningly short when I had a go, but I’ve gone pretty long with my bikes now.

wilko1999
    Free Member

One of my riding buddies has a Mojo HD too, and does absolutely huge stuff on it. He’s had it for years and its bloody solid and reliable too considering how hard and often it gets ridden.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I might have a 16″ tapered headtube/30.9mm post/Maxle’d rear end Orange Five going soon. Would be looking for £400. Bare, stripped frame by Orange with 2015 decals.

Could do it with a Works slackset for a little extra and it’ll come with offset bushings…

_tom_
    Free Member

That sounds like a good endorsement of the Mojo HD! If he’s close enough and still has it when I have the cash I might take him up on the offer. Davy I’ve always found Orange a bit odd looking but could be interested as they must be popular for a reason, will send you an email 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fun and affordable trail frame?’ is closed to new replies.