Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Fun 160mm FS frame?
  • _tom_
    Free Member

Well I’ve been loving hardtail for the past few months but for some reason I’ve got the itch to get a full sus again. Something awesome about the way they feel round berms and stuff I think, and that feeling of being able to get away with anything. Plus I have a 160mm fork I can’t seem to sell, so the logical thing to do is build a bike around it, right?! 😛

Anyway I mostly ride jumpy DH stuff like the trails at Woburn, Chicksands and the new one at Aston Hill. So I want something that’s going to be fun and “poppy” (sorry for magazine terminology) rather than soak everything up and keep the wheels stuck to the ground. I’m thinking something with short chainstays/wheelbase, low standover and not too slack. I really think the Bottlerocket would be ideal, and I’ve wanted one forever, but they’re always so expensive over here. Same goes for the NS Soda, looks awesome but far too expensive. I don’t really want to spend more than £500 2nd hand if I can help it..

And has anyone ridden a DMR Bolt, if so any good? I’m trying to get a demo ride on one but can’t find anywhere to have a go.

edit – yes I realise I posted pretty much the same thread a year ago, my needs have sort of changed a bit in that I’m not really arsed about being able to pedal it back up hill now.

aye-aye
    Free Member

160mm is the sweet spot for DH/Big Jump fun IMHO and I love big jumps.
    Bottlerockets are tons of fun, classic bike.
    I’ve had 2 and ridden Whistler/A-Line/Alps etc blah blah but they’ve got “un-plush” 140mm rear travel, they don’t really soak up any chundery nonsense on DH tracks and you have to concentrate more on the run-in to un-groomed big jumps rather than relaxing and enjoying what’s about to happen.
    Also they don’t give you much confidence to hit 30ft+ booters until you’re comfortable hitting 30ft+ booters, if that makes sense?
    Mad pop though, y’all.
    After trying loads of bikes (and I mean loads) I’ve settled on a Scott Voltage FR until I can afford a TR250.
    Short chainstays (16.7 or 16.4), low BB, nice low leverage suspension, loads of fun and easy to whip due to low centre of gravity.
    Should be able to get used frame for £500

geetee1972
    Free Member

The 2005 Enduro would be a great choice. Yes it’s now quite old but its a classic design that works really well and it’s age means you’ll be able to pick up almost half a complete bike for that price.

A very good friend of mine has a mint one in anodised brown that he’s been talking about selling for ages it has never got around to because he’s do busy. If you’re interested I can put you in touch. This bike has fox 36 Van rc2 forks and a fox DHX five coil shock.

_tom_
    Free Member

Geetee I might be interested in just the frame and shock, as I said I already have a 55 RC3 that I can’t get shifted so I don’t need another one lying around!

Cheers for that aye-aye, the Voltage FR was the other one I was looking into. Are they not designed for 180mm though?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Tom – I misread your original post; I am sure my mate would be up for selling the frame on its own.

Is your fork an RC3 Ti?

chiefgrooveguru

Something that’s designed for 180mm forks may work better for you with 160s because you’re after a less slack head angle and a low BB (which means you could run the rear sus firmer without it being too tall).

_tom_
    Free Member

It’s not a Ti, it’s a 2009 55 RC3. Doesn’t really feel that heavy though but obviously the Ti one would be lighter.. I didn’t do my research when buying and was led to believe it was 2010 RC3Ti but it doesn’t seem to be 🙁

CGG, I did think that but my experience with my Bullit was that mismatched travel feels weird. Not sure if all bikes would be like that but 180mm rear/160mm forks never felt quite right.

edit – whoops just seen the Voltages are all travel-adjustable 160-180. Now someone sell me one! What’s a good s/h price for the frame?

BoardinBob

Reign X

Love mine

banks
    Free Member

I went for a covert for exact reasons above, some very good deals going on older frames & I know of a dmr bolt for sale – email in profile

messiah
    Free Member

This Nicolai Helius FR frame is far sale cheap by Yetiman who hangs around on here sometimes.

Tracey

Ive got a Medium Enduro frame with a DHX5 Air shock thats for sale with headset, seat clamp and mech hanger. £300 posted

ndthornton
    Free Member

I have a great fun, bomb proof 160mm frame about to come on the market.
    It’s a Norco Six (2006 I think) but will be well under your budget. I’ve also solved the 2 problems with the original bike that stopped it being a truly great bike.

1 – Interrupted seat tube – You could never drop the seat by more than a couple of inches. I had the seat tube professionally reamed from 30.0 to 30.9 to allow me to fit a dropper post (KS i900) which is included. The seat tube was massively over built so no problems with strength and has survived 2 trips to the Alps no problem.

2 – Weight – Changed to an air shock of same length and stroke. The air shock recently packed in so replaced with a brand new one.

I’ve also just changed all 8 frame bearings 2 rides ago – so it feels like new.

I’m looking for £400 with hope headset, dropper post and almost new XT front mech.

Let me know if interested – It will be up for sale soon.

twohats
    Free Member

I’ve got a medium black Ano mk1 Nomad with a DHX 5 coil and King headset for sale.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Tom, sounds like an Orange Blood is just the frame you’re looking for. Low, slack, chuckable and hours of fun. Mine has been built up and stripped down many times over the winter but never made it out the door – due to the cr@p trail conditions I’ve been riding my BMX and singlespeed a lot more. I’ve just spent 10 mins or so composing an email to you, got as far as attaching pics, realised my madness and now it’s about to be rebuilt again – somebody slap me!

Keep an eye on pinkbike and ebay as they do come up for sale from time to time.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I had alot of fun on my Mongoose Khyber~ certainly very capable on jumps and plenty chuckable… don’t just take my word on it:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/51486/

and a review to back it up…

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-mongoose-khyber-elite-08-30445

and yes, I’m selling it, but only because I got my dream bike to replace it.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1246549/

I_Ache
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member
    The 2005 Enduro would be a great choice. Yes it’s now quite old but its a classic design that works really well and it’s age means you’ll be able to pick up almost half a complete bike for that price

I’m going to break STW tradition and suggest not getting an Enduro at all despite owning one. You want a bike that will pop and not suck things up, I have always found the Enduro a more suck it up sort of bike. Sure if I turn the compression up it pops more but the bike doesn’t feel right with that setup.

I am looking to change my Enduro to something that is more in the middle of how it feels and how my BFe is. Bottlerockets and Bloods are on my watch list on ebay. My problem is I am 6ft and need something long.

_tom_
    Free Member

I thought that may be the issue with the Enduro. Thanks for the suggestions guys. The Voltage does actually seem like just what I’m after so looking out for one of those!

cyclewerx

You can’t go far wrong with a Santacruz Blur LT and if you’re feeling very flush a Blur LTc. It’s a shame you don’t have a smaller fork because then you could buy the new Santacruz Blur TRc…check out the Bryceland video and see how he totally shreds a trail on it. Now that would be a very ‘poppy’ bike. All the characteristics of a hardtail but with 5″ of lively rear travel to take the sting out of things.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Mamadirt – think you might have taken the “poppy” requirement a bit literally…

cyclewerx

I’ve just read your post that says you want a Voltage….forget what I said about the Blur, I’m well off the mark 🙂

mamadirt
    Free Member

Mamadirt – think you might have taken the “poppy” requirement a bit literally…

😆

Sheesh, 11 November – that was the last time it was ridden 😳
    All rebuilt so I’m off out to rectify that right now 😛

_tom_
    Free Member

I was actually considering something like the Blur but its “trail bike” (whatever that actually means) status kinda puts me off – probably wouldn’t have enough confidence in it to do anything big!

Oh and I do have a Pike I could take off my hardtail and use if needs be as I still find it hard to justify more than one bike!

chakaping
    Free Member

Have you considered the Saracen Ariel? Only 140mm but works v well with a 160mm fork and makes a brilliant play bike.

Super low standover, 67deg HA, feels very balanced in the air.

Sold my old frame (because I did want to pedal up stuff) for about £350 IIRC, mint with rp23, so don’t pay more than that.

_tom_
    Free Member

Yep I really wanted one of the old models a while ago! Have heard they’re quite flexy but if its fun to ride I guess its not a problem!

chakaping
    Free Member

It was the previous version I meant, yeah. I never noticed the alleged flexiness myself.

Wonder if it could have been the stock wheels people were feeling wobble? I had Crossmax SX on mine and it felt rock solid.

mamadirt
    Free Member

YGM Tom – for real this time 😉

cyclewerx

Tom – check at the Josh Bryceland video on his Blur. That should put your mind at rest regarding if it can handle bigger stuff! ,;)

_tom_
    Free Member

Haha too much choice! Im also looking into getting a full 2013 Voltage FR30 through the C2W scheme at about £80/month- reckon its worth while? Bearing in mind theres the frame only on ebay for £350 at the minute..

aye-aye
    Free Member

Voltage is a very adjustable bike, It will be fine with 160mm fork, probably give you a 66 degree head-angle.

Loads of info Here
    The guy who helped design it posts there too.

The good thing about getting a new one is you’ll get a warranty as the only problem i’ve seen is that some have snapped at the head-tube (only a few and they sell loads of V FRs)
    A guide I know in Whistler BikePark used one for a season and had no worries about hitting everything there.

_tom_
    Free Member

Cheers, pretty sold on the Voltage now tbh, just gonna watch the ebay one and see what happens!

Anyone in the woburn/chicksands/aston hill areas got a voltage I could have a quick play on? 🙂

aye-aye
    Free Member

Voltage will be ace on Surface to Air.
    Only seen the vid but can’t wait to ride mine there.

How tall are you Tom?
    I’m 5’10” and the Long is perfect for me, I found the Short was too twitchy at speed/landing fast jumps.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’m about 5’8″-9″ ish – I currently ride a Blender which has pretty much the same tt length as the short Voltage (and not even much longer than my bmxs!). Think it would be ok for me.

aye-aye
    Free Member

Yeah, short would be good for you I reckon.
    Enjoy!

_tom_
    Free Member

Well I got the small 2011 one off ebay, went for the bargain price of £370 in the end 🙂 thanks for all your help everyone!

mamadirt
    Free Member

Excellent and a bargain Tom! Make sure you post pics once it’s up and running.

aye-aye
    Free Member

Nice one, that’s a bargain. Loads of fun for £370!

The Manitou swinger shock will be better than the standard FR30 shock too.
    Btw it has the 222mm shock mounts so you’ll have 150mm/170mm rear travel

BearBack
    Free Member

Was just going to suggest a voltage..

I have mine built with 180 float, dhx air and ex1750 wheels.. with a 500mm seatpost, I can pedal at full leg extension and have enough post drop to ride the park all day. 33lbs for a Whistler DH’able bike is pretty awesome..

Super versatile bike.
    My prior one with 160mm float and RP23 was a perfect fun bike!

160mm was the sweet spot, so you’re on teh right track!
    Enjoy!

_tom_
    Free Member

How do the shock mounts work exactly? Looks like the side plates have holes for long/short travel but do you need a different length/travel shock for each travel length or does the bolt position just limit the travel of the shock you have fitted? If that makes any sense 😆

aye-aye
    Free Member

Hey Bearback
    JT Huck seemed to be enjoying his in the park last summer too.
    Another reason why I went for one, great bikes.

transporter13
    Free Member

Not read the rear of the replies but…. Tom. As you live so close to me and I have a voltage fr, feel free to give me a shout. You’re more than welcome to have a bash on it. I have a few springs that may do your weight. Plus it set on either 180 or 160 mm so exactly as you want it. I also ride at Woburn and wouldn’t want anything else

Email in profile bud

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Fun 160mm FS frame?’ is closed to new replies.