Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • fully rigid at Mayhem
  • rOcKeTdOg

Apart from the mud clearance bonus (check forecast) will I die? Previous rigid 24hr veterans comments welcomed

gringojimi
    Free Member

You’ll be fine.

The mud provides all the cushion you’ll ever need 😀

twinklydave

No.
    You can get on the podium if you try hard enough 😉

(All this is based on previous MM courses, obviously, but I doubt the new one’ll be more technical than something like the Strathpuffer course, for example…and even that’s still raceable on a rigid)

rOcKeTdOg

You can get on the podium if you try hard enough

Fully intend to vomit at the top of every climb*

*Thru alcohol not effort

twinklydave

Fully intend to vomit at the top of every climb*

*Thru alcohol not effort

Rock on then, you’ll be reet 🙂

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I used a full ridged single speed in 2008. Trained like mad before the event and felt good on it. Did one lap and was fecked, I think I just got carried away with the race thing and pushed to hard. Fortunately we were in a group of 10 (well 8 as it turned out) so I had lots of time to recover, borrowed a mates hard tail with gears for the rest of my laps. Bike sold on return home…..

That’s not to say it would be the same for you, I saw lots of people on them, flying past me on all the climbs.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The lighter your bike is for carrying the better 😉

crazy-legs

I used fully rigid a few times. Mostly in the mud though; I much preferred using my FS in the dry.

tinsy
    Free Member

Did a rigid SS 12 hour once D2D at Thetford so ideal for SS, but with 400mm steel jump forks on a frame designed for sus forks it hurt.

I assume you mean you doing the whole 24 hours solo?

titusrider
    Free Member

you read the stw article on the front page about the new course right?

they said there is far more rock and bedrock than before and you might want a full sus…..

Toasty

I went fully rigid on my first one, with big tyres, absolutely loved it. Tons of clearance for mud and things as well.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I rode a hardtail solo at the only completely dry Eastnor race in 2006 and had the saddle print on my backside for a week or so afterwards.

Rigid should be fine if it’s wet.

The difference the weather makes to solo riders is huge. I finished 23rd on 22 laps in the dry. The following year a friend finished 22nd on 12 laps in the wet.

emac65
    Free Member

Wow rigid,how very original of you………….gosh I hope you won’t be SSing it as well,& no don’t tell me,let me guess…..you’ll be on one of those common as sh!t 29ers everyone rides these days as well………….

8)

rOcKeTdOg

Old fashioned 1×9 I’m afraid, love to ride 26″ but haven’t had one for 5 years #aheadofthegame

emac65
    Free Member

Me too fella(amongst other bikes),what’s this game you were ahead of & is it really anything to brag about ………… 😉

rOcKeTdOg

Well 26&29″ are dead now 27.5″ is here so more a lantern rouge anomaly

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘fully rigid at Mayhem’ is closed to new replies.