• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Kip.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Fully private route-tracking android app?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Can anyone suggest a decent app I can use to create route maps over Google earth images or similar without broadcasting stuff on strava etc?

Thanks

Bez

I use MyTrails. There are a bazillion others, though, all slightly different. The devil’s in the detail of what you really want.

Cougar

My Tracks?

druidh
    Free Member

Doesn’t strava have control over who can see your routes then? Endomondo certainly does (though I’d not recommend them as they are a shower of crooks).

If your tracking app/device creates GPX files then there is a whole host of apps that can be used – Google Earth itself, Garmin Connect, My Tracks, Map my Ride….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Strava and make ride private.

scaredypants

depends on what you mean by “fully private” I’d think

If you upload data to any site, clearly they have potential access to it and you’d have to check their privacy policy to be sure exactly what they may do with it

On the other hand, if you just don’t want joe public seeing what you’ve ridden, it’s easy on virtually all of them (e.g. strava lets you designate any single ride as private and you can also force it to ignore a specified area around any number of points (house, lock-up, mistresses house etc) so that that bit of any route isn’t recognised by the site)

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I didn’t know you could make strava rides private, but I did see the privacy within 1km of home one.

I just want to create maps of a local area for myself, might try my tracks and see how it goes 🙂

Thanks

DickBarton

Mapmytracks.com as the site for logging the routes. Oruxmaps for the recording and then uploading of route.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

OsmAnd is my favourite. Bit of a learning curve but well worth it once you’ve the hang of it. It saves direct to memory card if you’re using a phone and then you could upload it to a site like GPSies for further editing. I don’t use the 1KM privacy feature on Strava as it means I can’t do segments within that area so I use the cropping feature.

DickBarton

Cropping feature?

MrGreedy

druidh – Member

Endomondo certainly does (though I’d not recommend them as they are a shower of crooks).

Care to elaborate on that? The crooks bit I mean – first I’ve heard of it.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Did a first ride today using mytracks, which has produced a good quality trail, but when I export it to Google maps it splits it so I can’t see the whole ride on one map. Did a good 3hrs ride and battery life only dropped 15% so that’s another query answered. A bit of tweaking required to try and get the full trail on Google maps, or even better might be overlay on an os map, but it seems like the kind of thing I was after. No lost GPS signal either.

DickBarton

Export it as a .gpx and then upload it to Google…Google Maps and MyTracks does something funny with a ride by breaking into segments so you don’t see them all in a oner. Only fix I found (other than moving to another ‘service’), was to export the track to .gpx then upload that to Google Maps.

RAGGATIP
    Free Member

DickBarton – Member

Cropping feature?

this…

Kip

Bit late to the party but…I use Sports tracker which allows you to sync but not share. Works well for me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Fully private route-tracking android app?’ is closed to new replies.