Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Full Suss rear play – Alu spacer/washer likely to be the cause? And Where From?
  • pedlad

Hi

I have some lateral play in the rear triangle (specifically with the chainstays on the main bearing) so I have swapped the bearings, but the wobble is still very noticeable by hand in the stand.

There are two alu spacers which fit between the bearing and the main frame itself so I’m thinking maybe this could be the problem.

Are they sacrificial consumables that need replacing periodically to sort this (a bit like the mounting hardware for a shock)? I can’t seem to see them for sale from orange or bike web shops.

Any thoughts?
    ta.

pedlad

Any thoughts anyone?

I don’t even know what these alu rings are called in order to search for them – are they bushes or washers?

pedlad

One last try (sorry)

I’ve stripped out the bearings and “washers” at lunchtime and there seems to be some small wobble movement just with the axle in place which goes through the frame (without the bearings in place).

So this small movement seems like it may equate to the bigger lateral play when the bearings/chainstay/wheel is connected. If so does that mean the frame hole itself has enlargened given as the axle seems to be steel…..so is the frame knackered:-<

d45yth
    Free Member

What kind of frame is it? Is there not a bearing kit available that comes with more than just bearings?

bigyinn
    Free Member

The washers are more than likely there to ensure that when the securing bolts are tightened up, they dont put stress on the wrong part of the bearing (inner or outer race depending on setup).
    My 2004 Enduro has SS washers between the inner race and the fixed part of the frame. They dont appear to wear.
    When you say swapped the bearings, do you mean replaced with new or changed over the existing ones?
    New bearings are pretty much essential IMHO.

pinetree
    Free Member

Probably is just down to washers, although it depends on the frame. If you’ve changed the bearings and not put the washers back in, it will not allow the shock hardware to tighten up properly against the links/hardware, causing play.

I came across this with a bike recently, in an almost identical situation. An apparently trained and experienced mechanic had replaced all the bearings in a frame and couldn’t get rid of the play in the back end, despite putting in new shock hardware, bolts etc. Turns out he’d simply forgotten to put the washers back on behind the head of the shock bolts, meaning that they were fully tightened before they were able to bind the whole area together. This was on a cheaper Mondraker frame (a Tracker to be precise) which doesn’t use threaded holes in the upper and lower linkages.

Best bet if you’re unsure is to take it to your nearest decent bike shop. It’s probably a very quick fix.

d45yth
    Free Member

Best bet if you’re unsure is to…

look on the manufacturers website and see if there are any exploded tech diagrams to look at or download.

EDIT: Sorry, I’d missed the bit about your frame being an Orange. I take it must be a downhill model or Alpine 160 if it’s got the washers? Best bet would be to contact them and see if they’ll send you some out.

pedlad

Thanks all.

Bigyinn is right the washers basically lock the inner race to the main frame so the chainstay rotates with the outer race

It’s an Orange st4 but the orange website has no exploded diagrams or spare parts that match in order to know what to search for ,

I’ve definitely put them back in right so either they’ve massively worn or as I’m more worried about now the axle on its own displays the slight slack wobble inside the frame. Not sure how to eliminate this.

pedlad

Quick update in case it’s any use to other Orange st4 owners.

I spoke with a guy at Orange about the play in the axle that connects the rear triangle to the main frame, and he suggested swapping it seeing as I’d already swapped the bearings. He then very kindly offered to send me one FOC! Got home tonight and popped it in and it’s a much tighter fit than the old one with no movement.

So it’s not completely rebuilt yet but I’m hoping and fairly confident this is the solution. Last thing I suspected to be honest but glad to not to have to finance a new frame and great service from Orange.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Full Suss rear play – Alu spacer/washer likely to be the cause? And Where From?’ is closed to new replies.