Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Full suss gremlins won't stop whispering.. Nor the 29er fairies.
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

I love my bike, it does what I need it to do and does it well.

However, my skills are average at best and I keep spooking myself silly in technical drops/rooty rocky sections. So two years since building my Cotic Soul i can’t help be seduced by the full suss lure, and if taking the plunge i may as well go 29er, right?

Or is one of those beautiful Solaris temptresses my destiny?

It’s driving me nutty. I love my Soul, but will I enjoy the above even more? (And save breaking my neck in the process)

I need the voice of reason guys. Possibly not best to ask for it here but Hey Ho..

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Solo

z1ppy

Try it you might like it.
    I did, annoyingly

slimjim78
    Free Member

Cotic Rocket is right up my street (being a steel fanboi) but if I’m gonna splash the cash I at least need to look at the promise of ‘smoother rolling’ that a 29er supposedly delivers. I think.

toppers3933
    Free Member

im sure i read somewhere that 650b brings the trails alive….

slimjim78
    Free Member

Lol.. Yeah one at a time please, I have other boxes to tick first

roverpig

First off a full suss probably isn’t going to stop you breaking your neck. It will probably increase the chances if anything. It may make you feel more confident, but that just means that you’ll go faster, making the consequences greater when you do crash, as we all do sooner or later.

Second, a 29er isn’t necessarily any better in rocky rooty droppy terrain. It might be, but there are too many variables there to be sure. For example, it may roll over the roots and smaller rocks a bit easier, but may be harder to loft the front wheel over the larger rocks and drops. A 29er is generally faster on gentler terrain than a smaller wheeled bike, but once things get technical all bets are off.

IA

There’s more difference between different types of bike than there is between two similar bikes with different wheel sizes.

I.e. an AM full sus is more different to an XC hardtail than a 29er HT is to a 26er HT.

So getting a new type of bike is the bigger deal here, don’t get hung up on wheel size!

Having said that, proper size wheels are ace 😉

(also, new bikes are ace, that’s a good enough reason IMO to get one.)

dukeduvet

er, go on a skills course and improve your skills? Surely better than forking out on a new bike and keep the one you seem to really like

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I just ride my bike more when this used to happen.

It’s just like when you have problems with your girlfriend. You have to go back to first principles and find out why you’re with them in the first place.

Or just get a mistress.

Seriously? I have the use of a lovely 120mm full suspension bike and an equally lovely 100mm carbon hardtail. They’re both great, but for different things. Either way, it’s nice to have the choice. Go for it if you can afford it.

kimbers

kona process 111 is the only 29er thats tempted me so far, Id like a test ride!
    http://www.bikemag.com/gear/bike-exclusive-konas-2014-process-line/

reviews at the bottom

johnellison
    Free Member

Bear in mind that there are also murmurings among the major manufacturers (particularly Giant) that they may quietly shelve 29″ wheels in the next year or so – at risk of getting shouted at by the beardy sandal brigade, 650b (27,5″) seems to be the way forward…

mangatank
    Free Member

Neither. Get a good dropper seatpost.

Deveron53
    Free Member

650b is NOT 27.5 It’s barely 27.

ratherbeintobago

Bear in mind that there are also murmurings among the major manufacturers (particularly only Giant)

FTFY

chestrockwell

Go for it!! Full suss is ace and better then HT in my opinion (I have both). You will notice the difference.

My two main riding pals went back to HT and also went 29er. One would go back to FS in a heart beat if he could (and if he was honest). The other really likes his bike but admits if money was no object he’d go FS.

I also have the naughty 29er goblins in my ear and think I’ll end up having a look.

hora
    Free Member

OP are you middled aged? I’ve noticed alot of 29’er riders are middle/crisis-types.

ratherbeintobago

I’ve noticed alot of 29’er riders are middle/crisis-types.

You’ve got a bit of a thing about this, haven’t you?

hora
    Free Member

Abit of a realisation. Have a look around.

Most of the people I know who are moving to 29’ers are 40+

Ps.. this is only the 2nd thread that I’ve said it on.

slimjim78
    Free Member

No, I’m not middle aged yet. ?.

The suggestion of a dropper post is something I’ve been strongly considering also so I may give that a closer look. I decided today whilst on the trails that I just don’t qualify for an expensive new bike as I simply cannot do one justice (let’s see how long this state of mind lasts)

To other comments above, I’ve had a skills training course and it was excellent – I’m going through a rough patch though after an awkward off that nearly split my kneecap. I think I may book myself in for further training.

And that Kona Process 111 write up certainly sells the bike well!

I think overall that I just need to get out and ride more. And try a 29er.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Do it. I got my first full susser last year and that came in the big wheeled variety (and hora I am younger than 40 although arguably been in mid-life crisis since my teens). It was a tallboy Lt and it really is a lot of fun, my descending is certainly faster and it isn’t slow up either. It does mean I have an abandoned rather nice hardtail at the moment that I am not sure what to do with.

johnellison
    Free Member

650b is NOT 27.5 It’s barely 27.

Yawn.

rOcKeTdOg

Saw a Five 29er side by side with a Five (27.5) and the smaller wheeled one looked spot on (for a filing cabinet)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Full suss gremlins won't stop whispering.. Nor the 29er fairies.’ is closed to new replies.