Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Full suss bike weights .
  • oldfart

Before i start can i just say it rides great so this is probably irrelevant but just wanted some feedback.Got a Kona Four Supreme .I supplied the bits and LBS weighed it at just over 29lbs .I’m using Pro 11 / Mavic wheels XT drivetrain Hope Mono M4s so how come quite a few full sussers at about a grand weigh about the same? The only hefty bit of kit is coil Revelations but even they are less than a pound heavier than air forks?Just wondering why it weighs that much?As i say don’t notice in the riding and i’m pleasantly surprised at how well it climbs.So is 29 – 30 lbs about right without going scarey light?
    One other thing how come it rides better through gloopy mud than a hardtail?

mboy
    Free Member

Kona’s ain’t the lightest full sus frames. Coil Revs will add almost a lb like you say. What rims (you say Mavic, but which?) and tyres? This can make a massive difference.

For reference, my hardtail is 26lb, and that’s got mostly quite light kit on it, so I wouldn’t worry about a 29lb full sus bike!

druidh
    Free Member

From any previous discussion into this, I think we can safely say that manufacturers are a bit “economical” with their bike weights – i.e. don’t believe anything you read in their brochures/websites. I’d say 29-30lbs is OK.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

My coiler weighs in at 38lbs. Mostly due to my own choice of wheels, DH tyres and uber inner tube in the rear (relic from when that wheel was on a hardtail – haven’t removed it yet). My hussfelts and howitzer bb probably ain;t helping either.

But the frame is fairly hefty for it’s size and travel.

MrNutt
    Free Member

my hard tail is built up heavy at 31lbs, I could get it down to way under 29lbs if I changed the forks & rims but I think 31lbs is about bang on for hurtling downhill. That said I rode the Merida One-Five-0 the other day and that comes in at 32lb but rode feeling a lot lighter, I think it was down to the rims?

forge197
    Free Member

Big-T 40lbs/Specialized Pitch 30.5lbs

I’d say 29 – 30lbs is spot on neither too light or heavy.

CHB

I have a stumpjumper 2005 with vanilla forks, hope and Shimano XT kit and that comes in a 29lb. So yes, 29lb is about right for a good full sus without going for a scott scale or spesh epic with carbon everything.

oldfart

So a Spesh pitch weighs about the same.So what is the point of buying more expensive kit to hang on a frame.The frame is RACE LITE Scandium (depends what you class as Lite i guess)

forge197
    Free Member

To be fair I have upgraded a number of items on the pitch but I think it was about 32lbs out the box, it was the Comp not a Pro to begin with.

coffeeking
    Free Member

2004 NRS, items of weight…2001 Z1 drop-off coil-oil forks, Titec thickwalled DH risers, D521 rear rim, hope DH4 4 pot front brake, DDG heavy hubs. 28.5 lbs. Feels heavyish to me still but went from 31lb to 28.5 just from changing tyres lol

ac282

Plenty of expensive kit isn’t light.

bomberman
    Free Member

Just under 30lb is great for a full sus if you want it to last a while, besides if you’ve got a silly light wheelset/forks/tyres you only get flat spotted wheels/flex/flat tyres and you just have to pay out more to get it all fixed! At around 30lb youre getting the best of both worlds.

Offroading
    Free Member

Trail Full sussers are that weight if you’ve got money 27lb is good whilst retaining “trail” ride strenght etc.

Personally my XC Race bike Full suss with Sram XO/Sram Red etc carbon, alloy frame, SIDS etc is 9.8kg or 21.8lbs

IWH
    Free Member

Just got mine down to just under 28lbs and it’s 6″ front, 6.5″ rear and bombproof(ish). It’s been everything from 31lbs to silly light but I reckon around 27-28lbs is good and tough without being too weighty (or costly).

mtbtomo
    Free Member

What handlebars and stem? If they’re relatively ‘stock ‘ items then they might not be that light? You can save a pound in weight on tyres quite easily unless they’re already light (500 – 600g)? ‘Daft’ things like foam grips will save 50 – 100g on a pair of lock on ones.

Manufacturer bike weights are normally quoted without pedals too.
    Stans wheels and Magura Menjas save a good amount of weight over the more popular Mavic and Fox/RS competition. Attention to detail saves weight, it doesn’t have to necessarily mean buying fragile kit that doesn’t last.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

My 5spot is 29.6lbs. Any lighter and I’d have to compromise on strength, robustness or durability. If I was lighter, I could get away with lighter kit, but at 14.5st, I feel that thats acceptably light for a trail bike. It ain’t exactly a cheap build either.

I could easily shave a pound straight away by putting weaker (lighter) tyres on, or save another pound by putting a set of Revelations on it instead of the Pikes it has, but that defeats the purpose.

onewheelgood

This thread prompted me to go and weigh my bike. I found that my 10 year old Marin Mount Vision is 25lbs with pedals, mudguards and computer. Progress? Pah!

emac65
    Free Member

I have no idea what any of my bikes weigh,if they ride light then that’s light enough for me….

taka
    Free Member

about 8 stone lol no realy its hard to push on the flat letalone hills !

coffeeking
    Free Member

Frankly the only weight changes I ever notice are tyres and rims. I’ve swapped loads of components over the years, including frames, and bearly noticed the weight changes. As soon as I swap tyres or rims the feeling is really noticable. And so is the flatting – I’ve not had a puncture in AGES on the full sus but as soon as I went to summery tyres I shredded the sidewall and pinch-flatted on the first trip out lol.

pitcherpro
    Free Member

I’m going to have to weigh mine at work tomorrow now after reading this !!( i’m not really a weight watcher when it comes to bikes – just love riding ) think my pitch pro is just over 30lbs standard but i’ve upgraded so will be interesting to see …..

chico
    Free Member

If you weigh 170 lb of lean muscle and the bike is 33 lb. and your mates bike is 30 lb but hes a hefty 190 lb of podge whats it matter. surely fitness is what matters as long as the bike is not extreamly heavy.

MrFannay
    Free Member

28.8lb for my standard Rocky Mountain ETSX50, and climbs better than my 24lb HT !

Paceman
    Free Member

Agree with Cofeeking, 29 lbs is not heavy for a full susser, and the rims, tyres, and spokes will have the most impact on how heavy the bikes feels and rides out on the hill – what’s important IMO.

If you’re really concerned about overall weight on the scales, check things like the saddle (you’d be surprised for some saddles!), stem and bars, and change for some lighter air forks (don’t four supremes come with Fox F100’s as standard – this would knock a big chunk in weight off). 😉

oldfart

Paceman had a chance at the time to have frame and forks but didn’t fancy the scored stanchion fandango! 😈

duckman

Stop moaning, your bike will be a pound lighter by the end of the week…

matt_outandabout

I found that tyres / wheels had a much bigger effect on ‘speed’ and feeling of light weight – rather than saving weight through lighter forks/kit/frame.
    Me at 14st is far more of a weight than my bike…but I do think tyres can have a massive difference in rolling resistance, and a lighter weight of tyre/rim can mean that you can feel the lower resistance to acceleration.

WipeOut
    Free Member

23.9lbs for my Scott Spark, 120mm at the front, 110mm at the back. Strong enough for me.

squiff
    Free Member

My trance comes in at 30 lbs, I could get it lighter with air forks, lighter tire’s and inner tubes, but i am happy with the setup/weight.

druidh
    Free Member

Ty[/b]res. That’s a Y and no apostrophe.

squiff
    Free Member

thanks, but not well today, but you get wot i mean

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Full suss bike weights .’ is closed to new replies.