Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Full Suspension for around 450 – 500, what should I be looking for?
  • astura
    Free Member

Not got a lot of money but want something that will handle at the 7 stanes, I currently have a kona five o which I think I’m guna struggle with over the big rides. What can you suggest I can get for this sort of money or what should I be looking for?

stevomcd
    Free Member

That’s not a lot of budget. You’d have to go second-hand to get something decent. Maybe something like a 2-3 year-old Specialized Pitch.

patriotpro
    Free Member

stevomcd – Member
    That’s not a lot of budget. You’d have to go second-hand to get something decent. Maybe something like a 2-3 year-old Specialized Pitch.

😆

OP – for that budget you’d be better off upgrading the Five-0

astura
    Free Member

Hard to upgrade the five o it ways a lot, good at descending but pap at climbing

james
    Free Member

What is it about the Five O that concerns you for the 7 stanes?

(having never ridden one) I thought they were still large in the frame to climb okay (despite not being specced lightweight)

Iif you feel confident enough to do a frame swap or most of it, then there should be loads of s/h FS frame options for that money including any headset/seatpost/etc required
    sub £200 there should be loads of options to work with the fork from the five-o

The issue might be that going FS with the five-o build is going to be heavier again. something overforked/not setup well/that doesn’t climb well and you could be worse off?

astura
    Free Member

Climbing I suppose, and I’m going to be doing a couple trails a day so concerns of getting massively knackered.

ampthill

At that budget I’d say hardtail, unless you have a medical problem that really means that you need protection from shocks coming up through the bike……

patriotpro
    Free Member

astura – Member
    Hard to upgrade the five o it ways a lot, good at descending but pap at climbing

£500 can buy you some impressive, weight-shedding upgrades.

Wheels and a good air fork can easily be had for that money which will make a massive difference.

Otherwise all you will be doing is swapping a heavy bike for an even heavier one.

RustyMac

you could look at getting something like a cannondale prophet frame and transplanting your parts from the five-o over.

[edit] depending on your size there are a couple of small Iron Horse MkIII frames on the bay just now that would build into lovely trail bikes [/edit]

stevomcd
    Free Member

patriotpro – you reckon you’d get more than £500 for a 3 year-old Pitch? They were banging them out for a grand new… 🙄

If weight is the concern, maybe one of the shorter-travel Giants could be had for that money or something like a Specialized FSR XC.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

buy a cheap 2nd hand frame and swap your bits over (I have a medium 07 trek ex8 frame for sale, £100 😉

patriotpro
    Free Member

stevomcd – Member
    patriotpro – you reckon you’d get more than £500 for a 3 year-old Pitch?

Oh aye.

They were banging them out for a grand new…

Really… I paid £1300 for a 2009 model and that was in the sale.

Maybe you can post links…for the sake of the OP. If he can get one for his budget then he should.

wwaswas

If weight is the primary concern then I’d check carefully that you’ll not end up with a heavier bike after spendign £500 on suspension.

It’s going to be easier to lose weight by buying a lighter hardtail frame and a new set of wheels than an FS one and then trying to cut down.

br
    Free Member

tbh – just read a review and it reads well, but heavy (no more so than a couple of guys I ride with at GT, they’re steel HT’s at that weight).

I’d buy a lighter wheelset (Hope on Crest) and go tubeless with single-ply tyres, then just buy a few bits and pieces (ie Ashima rotors) that will make a weight difference. Then get fitter…

And whatever you buy will work on your next bike too.

You could easily end up with a heavy old FS ‘shed’ at that money.

martymac

b r speaks sense ^^^

tinsy
    Free Member

As above, even if you spent your whole budget on a frame & shock that is suitable for swapping all your current bits onto it wont climb any better than you have nor will it be lighter.

As said buy the best wheels you can, the Crest on Hope is good idea, but other cheaper hubs are available, but if you ever sell them the Hopes will comand much more so factor that in.

The cheapest speed and lightening option to to buy some light tyres, something like Nobby Nic.

ellesar
    Free Member

You will struggle to buy anything decent for that, even second hand (I’ve been on the auction/sale sites this morning).
    Upgrade your current machine, it is not hard to. Alternatively sell it and use the extra money and hope that a bargain comes along. Wheels, air shocks, and upgrades to components will all achieve weight loss, forks and wheels should always be the highest priority.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Sell the five-o, and build up your own custom full sus. I built up a Club Roost XC-4, Rebas airs, X517s, LX/XT groupset, etc for around £650 using some new / some second hand bits from here / E-bay

leythervegas
    Free Member

There’s a 2nd hand but good looking Boardman team Fs on eBay at the moment or £650 or best offer. They are great bikes for the money.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

even if get an FS for that money – it may well be as heavy and pedalling it will probably be more lossy than a HT so harder work – unless you get something with propedal or one of the dw-link style bikes.

Plus you will have the future costs associated with servicing the rear shock.

I would look at upgrades elsewhere to lighten your bike, like wheels, saddle, etc.

Then a later upgrade could involve a frame swap, taking the good stuff you have upgraded the Kona to – and you could probably build the Kona back up at this point and get rid.

jambon
    Free Member

Erm, not going FS but getting a c456 for £300 and making an awesome bike with what you may already have? FS doesn’t always mean more fun.

leythervegas
    Free Member

That’s exactly what I’ve just done jambon. Picking up my completed c456 this afternoon from my lbs. Can’t wait! Sold my Boardman team Fs, which I loved but just fancied a better specced hardtail, to fund it. Unbelievable value.

teadrinker
    Free Member

Sell the Five O frame and get a hardtail then some new wheels etc.

Craggyjim
    Free Member

I think that 5-0 looks like a fun bike. I certainly wouldn’t be changing it for riding the 7 stanes. I would be changing it if I was racing but I’d take a slow plod up to the top to have more fun on a bike like that on the downs. That bike is more than capable/strong enough for 7 stanes riding.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Jambon has it right. I would go c456 and maybe a second hand 140 air fork for £200. Anything that doesn’t fit + current frame fork can go on ebay / forum to cover any new bits you might want / need.

Or a second hand steel 456 £100, second hand 140 air fork for £200, then £200 to play with maybe wheels?

FS at that price will just be suspect quality and weight where as a HT will be a really solid bike and a C456 will be light too.

astura
    Free Member

This has beenn good to help me make my mind up, so im guna keep the five o, get new wheels and forks, I suppose I now need to know what to go for?

martymac

crc are doing some rock shox revelations for about £345, they are air sprung, dual travel (120mm or 150mm at the flick of a small lever on the top of the fork leg) and they work well.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=67901
    they can be dropped to make climbing a bit easier.

astura
    Free Member

They sound good, will keep my eyes open for a 2nd pair how about wheel set?

patriotpro
    Free Member

how about wheel set?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=Hope+Pro+2&PartnerID=2324&InStockOnly=true&_$ja=kw:%2bhope%20%2bpro%20%2b2|cgn:Hope|cgid:2027900653|tsid:40551|cn:United+Kingdom+-+Brands|cid:54154093|lid:18436204815|mt:Broad|nw:search|crid:14695245733&gclid=CO7IofLftbICFeTHtAodeT0Ajg

Something like them ^^^

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Full Suspension for around 450 – 500, what should I be looking for?’ is closed to new replies.