Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • full suspension bike, for long steady days in the saddle?
  • ton

looking for a full sus 29er, suitable for long steady days. something lightish, that wont bob about too much.

idea’s greatly appreciated.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

that wont bob about too much.

What, even with you on it? 😉

wors

Giant Anthem.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Giant Anthem.

+ 1

ton

What, even with you on it?

oy, do one pensioner…… 😆

ton

list so far is,
    trek fuel
    giant anthem
    spesh epic
    canyon neuron

any more to consider?

weeksy

Spearfish

Gotama
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Tallboy. Good fun on the downs and you can get an XXL which is a decent size for us taller folk.

slowbloke
    Free Member

SantaCruz Hightower. Nice low shock leverage ratio which means the shock isn’t over pressure (even for me at 20 stone) and VPP which is good at resisting bobbing. On the downside they only do cf versions so it can work out pricey – hell of a bike though!

tomhoward

Pivot Mach 429sl

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Tony….Tony Tony Tony, It doesn’t matter what you get cos you’ll only have it 3 weeks. 😆

Pyro

In the STW spirit of ‘recommend what you have’:

Rocky Mountain Element.

ton

you’ll only have it 3 weeks.

possibly, but it will be one more ticked off the list.

or, why have toast ride a orange 5 every day for breakfast, when you can work through the menu. 8)

jam-bo

can you buy a transition smuggler and sell it to me cheap in a couple of weeks?>

iainc

Tony – I have a 650B Anthem. I reckon the 29 version could be ideal for you

ads678

Cotic Flare Max?

hooli

Spesh Camber?

scotroutes

Spearfish was the first thing that came to mind, though I know you don’t like the Surly/Salsa niche tax Tony.

Ideal for a tour of the HT550 I’d have thought. The Horsethief might be more up your street for rougher rides too.

richardthird

Ibis Ripley?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Look suitably robust for a gert big lad like yourself, though as you didn’t get on with Orange five, mibbe suspension wouldn’t suit?…

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’re liking the Solaris, better try a FlareMax.

warns74
    Free Member

list so far is,
    trek fuel
    giant anthem
    spesh epic
    canyon neuron

any more to consider?

Why the Epic rather than the camber/stumpjumper. Isn’t the Epic an XC race bike?

What about the Jeffsy?

transporter13
    Free Member

You’ve just described my camber 😉

fifeandy
    Free Member

Isn’t the Epic an XC race bike?

From the original description of a light full sus that doesn’t bob too much an XC race bike may well be exactly what he’s after.

As for the list – add a Scott Spark (not the RC version).

scuttler

Deffo Stage 4. You know you want to. Orange is so for you. No really, it is. These Stage bikes were made for Rugby League lads. I’ll bet Eorl’s got one.

brassneck

Had more or less the same question myself a few months back. Narrowed it to:

Salsa Spearfish (unknown quantity but always gets a mention – a few framesets about)
    Giant Anthem (very good and competent but no ‘spark’ for me)
    SC Tallboy (price issue)
    2nd hand Whyte M109 of various types. (none popping up)
    Turner Flux (ruled out due to price and availability)

Unfortunately price was of over riding concern, as it was a replacement for stolen uninsured 🙁
    I ended up with a Charge Cooker 1 (it was v cheap and fancied trying out the riot that is 650b+) AND a Whyte T129 (again, cheap but burlier and maybe more suited to Welsh forays, Dartmoor etc.) simply down to them appearing within weeks of each other in the local classifieds.

I think the above list would be better for a single bike – the charge is a laugh and probably closer my riding type, the Whyte is probably too much bike in weight and capability, I don’t feel quite ‘right’ on it. I’ll likely move both on for either a new Swift with two wheelsets or something from that list. A T130 Whyte would also get a look, though not a 29er of course.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

how about a Nicolai Saturn 11?

chiefgrooveguru

Banshee Phantom?

Efficient pedaller, low leverage ratio, stiff frame, only 105mm travel, not an Orange. 😉

tomhoward

I’ll bet Eorl’s got one.

He hasn’t. (My sister house sits for him pretty regularly)

If you can get Ton to buy an Orange bike, I’ll eat it when he’s done with it.

onewheelgood

Jeffsy. Although you might have to go carbon to get the ‘lightish’ bit of your spec.

ton

Deffo Stage 4. You know you want to. Orange is so for you. No really, it is. These Stage bikes were made for Rugby League lads. I’ll bet Eorl’s got one.

not a cat in hells chance.

lesgrandepotato

You want a nice niner jet or rip.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The one with the best resale value? 😉

TheGingerOne

Kona Hei Hei (as I am a broken record and recommend what I have 😀 )

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Rose Root Miller is well reviewed.

parkey
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2015 Large Salsa Horsethief frame for sale which has only had light use for about a year, because I started riding for a Manufacturer if you’re interested ?

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘full suspension bike, for long steady days in the saddle?’ is closed to new replies.