Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Full sus or singlespeed for llandegla this weekend
  • coffeeking
    Free Member

Can’t decide – full sus with flats or rigid SS with spuds.

I’m leaning towards full sus for playing on the jumps.

loddrik
    Free Member

Full sus with spd’s, then get rid of the ss, they will be out of fashion soon so you can stay ahead of the curve 😛

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dont like the full sus with spuds, and I didnt go SS for fashion reasons so :p 😆

Nick

Rigid SS, exactly what do you need suspension/gears for at Llandegla?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Well its just a little more flowy over the jumpy bits, my jumpy technique isnt great and the full sus is more accepting. Plus the full sus has flats fitted which I prefer when doing jumpy stuff. Grrr.

grumm
    Free Member

Rigid SS, exactly what do you need suspension/gears for at Llandegla?

Exactly what do you ever ‘need’ suspension/gears for? I know for a fact I would have much more fun on my full suss than I would on a rigid SS.

loddrik
    Free Member

I would never even ride a rigid ss, great when I was 10 though

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just as great when youre 28, and just as great as the FS, just different.

speaker2animals

Rigid SS in the crap. Do you know how hard it is to change pedals?

coffeeking
    Free Member

😀 true, there is that option. Might make the hills a bit tougher but probably still easier than on the NRS 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

Rigid with gears,you need a big ring to make Llandegla interesting…..

sootyandjim
    Free Member

What day are you going coffeeking? I was thinking of popping across on Sunday and if you take your FS we could meet up and mince around the black run together being passed by SS riding trail Gods. I could even bring my Alps bike for full ATGNI style points.
    😉

rockitman

About to head up there now so will report back later.

Personally I would take the full sus and pump it all the way round…

I_Ache
    Free Member

Just walk WFT do you need a bike for let alone SS or FS or HT.

What a load of Bollocks!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

“my jumpy technique isnt great and the full sus is more accepting”

Well why not take the Rigid SS and learn how to ride properly

singlespeedstu

Why not take both.

It’s not very far round so you could do a lap on each.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

JohnClimber – I’m assuming that you didn’t learn to drive in a Model T Ford? Although I started MTBing years before suspension systems were contemplated for MTB’s its hardly a requirement to learn to ride on a rigid bike considering even very cheap bikes come with perfectly usable suspension forks now days.
    Alluding to learning to ride on a rigid as being ‘proper’ is of course the kind of garbage one would expect to see on here though, unfortunately.

molgrips
    Free Member

+1 for Stu. Then report back on how you found each lap. Watch out for the marketing hype brainwashing you tho. Perhaps you’d better not read any mags until you go.

psling
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a Kona A…

steve_b77
    Free Member

single speed full sus with look road pedals?

scruff
    Free Member

+2 what SStu said, take both.

GPS each lap, you can compare stats afterwards in the cafe and work out which is faster on different sections. See if the shop will do a print out and put it on the noticeboard. Would be very interesting to see a comparison/overlay like they do in F1.

Gibbon
    Free Member

“GPS each lap, you can compare stats afterwards in the cafe and work out which is faster on different sections. See if the shop will do a print out and put it on the noticeboard. Would be very interesting to see a comparison/overlay like they do in F1.”
    Or you could get a life and some friends.

singlespeedstu

Or do a lap on each then go to the pub and get pished with your mates.

Scruff i bet you all compare gps stats at the end of your thursday night ride don’t you. 😉

hillsplease

I’m with singlespeedstu. A morning of battering followed by an all dayer. Perfect.

Olly
    Free Member

Suss, no doubt.
    you dont need the suspension to cushion anything more than ripples, but there is SO much speed to be eeked out of llandegla, and a rigid fork will sap it all out on the ripples.
    suss will give you that little bit of forgiveness when your going a bit too hot over the techyer stuff.

ideal bike at Llandegla would be a soul with revs IMO

scruff
    Free Member

Stu, no we compare scars then compete in a drink driving race.

timber

pretty smooth finish, so reckon rigid is fine, but would opt for whichever can be pedalled quicker (as it is so smooth and pretty flowing) and which you feel best for hitting jumps on if thats what you want to go for.

Hardtail with a big enough front ring to pick the speed up is my choice. My SS was a little too low in places at 32:16

emac65
    Free Member

I’m with singlespeedstu. A morning of battering followed by an all dayer. Perfect.

In my day an “all-dayer” was exactly that & included the morning too…..

Kids of today,no endurance & drink poncy drinks too…….. 8)

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ll take both (Sunday) and decide when I get there, and take a 15mm spanner while I’m at it. Ideally i’d have a hardtail SS with ~100mm up front I think, but I dont have one!

bomberman
    Free Member

take the full sus and bin the SS

emac65
    Free Member

Ride with the an spd left pedal & flat right pedal as most the turns are to the right…..

Stupid questions deserve stupid answers………… 8)

bikemonkey
    Free Member

I’ll be riding my Dawg Primo for the first time at Llandegla on Sunday. If I weren’t excitied by the prospect of riding my new bike, I’d ride Llandegla on a hardtail every time.

singlespeedstu

Ride the climbs with the full suss attached to your back pack and ride the descents with the ss attached to your back pack for the first lap then go to the pub and get w4nkerd.

After your suficiently w4nkered go back and do the second lap with the ss on your back on the climbs and the full suss on your back on the descents.

😉

Sillyoldhector
    Free Member

WTF? FS or SS FFS!!

Oxboy
    Free Member

erm full suss etc.
    SS looks fun around town but up hills, no thanks, nor fully rigid down hills, the word boneshaker comes to mind, dont fight progress its comfortable:D

walleater

A donkey.

Gibbon
    Free Member

A huge ass.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Did it on the FS in the end and it nearly killed me. My fitness seems to be falling more rapidly than ever!

samuri
    Free Member

lot of us there this weekend. Amazing considering how crap it is. Did you see me CK? Bespectacled bloke on a black singlespeeded chameleon going faster than virtually everyone else, particularly on the first loop.

coffeeking
    Free Member

samuri – nope, never spotted you, we did spot a guy on an SS (green frame, couldnt tell what from a distance (and separating) speed! I was on a red NRS with lime green forks and acid yellow front rim – bet you didnt spot me 🙂 There were a lot out. I’d put on some big fat tyres and was hoping to nail some of the jumpy bits but simply couldnt get enough speed up – the tyres felt like soggy flywheels! Lesson learned.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Full sus or singlespeed for llandegla this weekend’ is closed to new replies.