Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Full sus knackered – thruth about C456?
  • boxelder

Come on, honestly, what are they like as an up and over Lakes mountains type bike. Can’t really afford to replace the FS (unless someone has spare Kona seat stays going?). I’ve a 29er for longer, smoother days out.

mrphil
    Free Member

Currently run a 18″ C456 with 150mm forks, completed Coed Y Brenin mwith no mishaps, climbs well.

Junkyard
    Free Member

not as good as a FS for the lakes as they have zero rear travel

Any quality bike will cope with the lakes IMHO

If you want a FS get one

Its a good bike but long in the top tube which is nice for long days but less nice for technical stuff [drops]IMHO. this means I still cannot really manual the bike yet – not that i would be setting world records if I could

EDIT: if you are in manchester area and a 16 ” is the right size you can have a try of mine – I am not selling it

boxelder

If you want a FS get one

Not sure I do, hence query.
    Ta, but would need a 20″ in the Lakes to try. Cheers for offer though.
    Online reviews says they’re really harsh or more compliant than a steel 456. I’ve got a steel HT (run as SS at the moment). Just weighing up options and they look good value.

Klunk
    Free Member

what kona seat stays are you after ?

boxelder

From a 2008 Kona King (white)

Klunk
    Free Member

have a look on CRC frames/frame spares, they’re on clearance they may have one. I’ve got a 2005 coiler knocking around but thats no help

kendo954
    Free Member

Iv a 20″ c456, used it mostly for longer xc rides but while I was building the new fs I used it on the more harsher rides and I was impressed how well it jumps/drops/descends

A mate uses his as his play bike, it’s been down all the Dh trails at inners and he would not be the last down.

Great bikes

Shorty121
    Free Member

Maybe look at the on one cheap FS frames

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

love mine, was out on it today and love it more every time. The only dilemma for me is I want a yellow one now.

Northwind

boxelder – Member

Ta, but would need a 20″ in the Lakes to try. Cheers for offer though.
    Online reviews says they’re really harsh or more compliant than a steel 456.

There’s an inexplicable WMB review where it’s too stiff to ride down a rocky descent without stopping, yet also simultanously too soft 😉 Mine is a lot more compliant than a steel 456, it reminds me a lot of my Soul and a bit of a Ragley Ti- not as soft as the Ti and not as springy as the Soul but in the same sort of ballpark. Which is a very good place to be, IMO.

deserter
    Free Member

I just got rid of a Turner 5spot and replaced it with a c456 as it was cheap and I thought nothing lost, love it tbh, wasn’t expecting much but find it so much fun and suprisingly comfy too, my only gripe is my seatpost creaking and dropping, used some more fibre paste to see if it improves

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

They look good, although if you want to run longer forks then a Ragley might be better.

Not a replacement for a full suspension bike though, nothing is. Riding in the lakes you really will be using the rear suspension, whether you can live without it is another question.

Most reviews you see of these on the forums seem to be from people who build them up with huge forks and then mince round trail centres on them.

Or buy one as a second bike (to compliment their full suspension) cos they’re cheap and then realise that they were infact were completely over biked with the full susser and that the C456 is actually the best thing ever.

So you’ll get lots of glowing reviews, none of which will be particularly useful.

chakaping
    Free Member

my only gripe is my seatpost creaking and dropping, used some more fibre paste to see if it improves

I changed my seat QR and it fixed this problem.

The the OP – it’s about as good a hardtail for the riding you describe as you can get, so it’s up to you whether you can tolerate just having a HT in the Lakes.

I couldn’t, if I’m honest.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Same as Northwind, I previously had a steel 456 summer season which I always found a bit jarring and uncomfortable. This carbon 456 is much more pleasant to ride.
    What I’m not quite sure about is whether the difference is in their weights rather than any ‘compliant’ properties in materials. I’m not massively fit and certainly don’t have much core strength, so a heavier frame might feel a bit of a deadweight, a light frame being easier to throw around, skip over stuff and manoeuvre, whilst keeping you fresher for longer.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Great frames, can’t recommend highly enough. I’ve ridden mine off the top of Old man of Coniston and managed to ride it all very well, so it’s definitely perfectly fine for the more extreme tracks in the Lakes.

I actually found on that ride it was keeping up with similar riders on FS bikes no problems, the lack of rear travel is less important on steep, technical, slow tracks than fast and big rocks.

I did find running tubeless Rubber Queen 2.4″ tyres at 20psi made a big difference though. I got rid of mine as I rarely ride it and wanted to fund a new DH frame, but now I really want another one.

boxelder

Thanks all.

Klunk – good call. I’d searched CRC, but used the wrong words. A trawl through everything Kona found it.
    Dilemma now – replace stays (£60), C456 (with free wheels) or keep the frame I unexpectedly won on fleabay today (D’oh).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Full sus knackered – thruth about C456?’ is closed to new replies.