• This topic has 22 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by juan.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Full sus frame made in someones garage – homemade
  • hora
    Free Member

No I’ve nothing to do with the sale. Just find it ‘interesting’ to see someones homemade bike attempts etc.

Its not something you see every day and commendable.

http://lucky49.pinkbike.com/album/Decendence-AM-Bike/

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/descendence-am-bike-framel-custom-made-with-rp23-xtr-mech-hope-headset-more

retro83
    Free Member

There’s a massive thread on pinkbike about home made frames

http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=39840

some great work on there

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Followed his build thread on SDH. Some fella in Oz I think who can basically build anything you want.

portlyone

Do they have to conform to these stringent european tests we’ve been hearing about?

neilforrow

A mate of mine made this:

I think that decendance frame looks good tho, I like the idea of a steel am full suss.

hora
    Free Member

A mate of mine made this:

wow!

I_Ache
    Free Member

We have a fab area at work and I have been thinking about getting a donor frame for the head tube seat tube BB and dropouts and welding up some gas pipes seeing how it turns out.

neilforrow

if you want to see a bit more, check it out:

http://www.welwynmachineworks.blogspot.com/

I_Ache
    Free Member

Oh and as for the euro tests, I dont think so because of the small volumes thats how custom builders get round it.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Must buy me that Tig i’ve been after

mick_r

Lots of good stuff – must have a read tonight (but should mostly be in the garage jigging a giant like-a-bike frame for brazing at weekend 🙂

Putting custom bikes through the EU tests is often pretty pointless.

The whole point of custom is a specific frame for a specific customer and application.

I weight 64 kg and make my own frames. Why would I want my own personal custom frame to pass fatigue test standards using loads that apply to a heavyweight rider? A frame built specifically for my requirements that could pass the tests would just be overweight / overbuilt.

However one problem is that you need a builder with enough experience of each application to know what is “strong enough”. So maybe a limited number of tests to get a benchmark wouldn’t be a bad idea. 18 Bikes have done something a bit like this – but if it wasn’t so costly then could maybe be taken further with test loads factored for different bikes / rider / application.

ska-49
    Free Member

Hi guys!
    Im pretty new to the forum. Thought i’d stick my head in seeing as the bikes sitting right next to me. Glad you like it! Tim offered to build it with a linkage but I thought i’d politley decline because I knwo what the UK grit can do to bearings. Stuck with simple and sweet. At the time I wanted it to ride like the orange 5 but in 17” size. Once it was made, orange had made a 17” version! Then again, this is fully custom and a one off and seeing as its made from steel. Its for life! Ive also got a few other steel bikes (blender, K9 dh-001, singular). Steel has lovely ride characftersitics I reckon.

hora
    Free Member

How much does it weigh on the scales?

ska-49
    Free Member

My whole build came in at just under 31 lbs. I thought that was very respectable!
    Edit: Weighed on park tool scales at clive mitchel cycles.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

getting a donor frame for the head tube seat tube BB and dropouts and welding up some gas pipes seeing how it turns out.

Along similar lines, I always fancied bodgeing together a heckler swingarm and the front end of a hardtail by cutting the downtube, brazeing in a second BB shell and installing a set of HT2 cups and getting an axle machined. I guess simething similar would work with a headset.

Lifer
    Free Member

Who was the guy that built the DH rig for his son to race, with the single sided swing arm and enclosed drive train? Been searching but can’t for the life of me remember what it/they were called.

7hz
    Free Member

Quite possibly the prettiest FS frame I have ever seen!

jackthedog
    Free Member

Who was the guy that built the DH rig for his son to race, with the single sided swing arm and enclosed drive train? Been searching but can’t for the life of me remember what it/they were called.

Millyard.

wwaswas

the prettiest FS frame I have ever seen!

it is nice.

and then adds a gravity dropper – the most plug ugly seatpost in existence.

ska-49
    Free Member

Lifer- Your talkign about Allen Millyard and his son, Steven. I actually know them! I used ride with Steve a couple years back. His dad is an amazing engineer. He also made a single sided rear triangled hardtail. They werent even that heavy!

ska-49
    Free Member

7Hz, its up for sale by the way 😉
    Wwaswas- GD isnt the best looking but its reliable and light! Its a trade off..

jameso

I like the WMW! logo’s great too.

juan
    Free Member

google for home bicycle…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Full sus frame made in someones garage – homemade’ is closed to new replies.