Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)
  • Full-on anti theft tactics from Preston police
  • FuzzyWuzzy

Seems like a great idea to me although does need some care in it’s execution. As others have alluded to I’m sure it’s mostly aimed just to get scrotes to admit they ‘found it’ and hand it over without a fuss. Hopefully if you look like a chav, are a teenager and riding what looks like an expensive or inappropriate bike you’ll get stopped. I seriously can’t believe the people that commute to work are worried about it.
    They could probably recover a fair few of Bristol’s stolen bikes by doing this in Southmead for a few days. Plus it acts as a deterrent, OK a lot of bike theft might be organised and they’re broken up and sold off but a lot seem to be used as currency between scrotes (like a bag of weed for a full suss or something :p ) if people were too scared to ride them as police might stop them then their value would drop so some might not get nicked in the first place.

ransos
    Free Member

“Because it’s a free country.”

No it isn’t. You’re not allowed, for example, to drive at 100mph down my street.

pjt201
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable – Member

No it doesn’t.

Depends on the definition of reasonable grounds though and i don’t think not being able to produce a receipt is reasonable grounds. If they just saw you cut the lock off a bike on a sheffield stand that might though.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mcboo
    Free Member

ransos – Member
    “Because it’s a free country.”

No it isn’t. You’re not allowed, for example, to drive at 100mph down my street.

Oh here we go.

Speeding is against the law.

Riding a bicycle is not.

I don’t carry proof of purchase for my underpants either, do you want to confiscate them too officer?

Figure it out.

D0NK

innappropriate bikes? Ooh so riding my 8″ gnarr bike down the canal towpath is gonna get me nicked? oops

hilldodger
    Free Member

D0NK – Member
    innappropriate bikes? Ooh so riding my 8″ gnarr bike down the canal towpath is gonna get me nicked? oops

Unfortunately being a bellend is still not an arrestable offence so I reckon your safe for now……..

D0NK

phew

hilldodger
    Free Member

😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Are people being dleiberately thick?

Mr. Chavy Scrote in shellsuit and nike airs riding a Trek Fuel EX9.9 with SPD pedals gets stoped.

Mr. Middle Class in a suit riding his titanium brompton (wtf?) or nichemonger steel racer to work probably wont be stoped.

And the article says the bikes aren’t confiscated if you can’t produce the recipt there and then, you’re given aproducer which gives you a few weeks to turn up at the police station with ID and the recipt/owners manual/ebay add/whatever proof of ownership.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Unfortunately being a bellend is still not an arrestable offence so I reckon your safe for now……..

refering to it as a “gnarr bike” shoud be though!

D0NK

Mr. Chavy Scrote in shellsuit and nike airs riding a Trek Fuel EX9.9 with SPD pedals gets stoped.

no I got it, not a bad idea I guess but could it be considered chav-ist? There’s plenty of people I see and think hmm, you, on that bike, seriously? But it could just be someone nipping to the shops on their bling bike dressed however. I’m not sure if I have issues with police being able to stop you just coz you look a bit shifty.

While riding I generally have enough lycra about my person to be firmly marked out as cyclist (or possibly weirdo) I did get stopped once on my bike, it was midnight, I was a bit erm medicated and I had my gfs bank card with me, lucky escape there really.

oh and I lied, my bike hasn’t got 8″ of travel.

it may have gnar written on it tho 😳

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I… ride a Ti Brompton

You should be chucked in the back of the vayn and given a proper beating for that. 😡

Hmm, dunno about this. I’d imagine there could be potential for legal problems with such a scheme, no matter how well intended. There’s the ‘reasonable suspicion’ thing, and ‘you look a bit too scrotey/poor to own a bike like this’ isn’t really something that can be covered by RS I woon’t have thought. I suspect Liberty might have a better idea on this than me, but people should have the right to move about without being treated as potential criminals.

titanium brompton (wtf?)

I know. Disgusting, isn’t it?

Thin end of the wedge and all that….

ransos
    Free Member

Oh here we go.

Speeding is against the law.

Riding a bicycle is not.

I don’t carry proof of purchase for my underpants either, do you want to confiscate them too officer?

Figure it out.

You are not free to drive at 100mph down my street, and neither are you allowed to ride a stolen bicycle. A police officer may wish to speak to you if he or she reasonably suspects you of doing either of these things. Therefore it is not a free country.

Do you get it yet?

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

Ah, Elfinsafety is back. How is the head? Did sir have a few beers last night maybe?

ransos
    Free Member

Mr. Middle Class in a suit riding his titanium brompton (wtf?) or nichemonger steel racer to work probably wont be stoped.

Similar logic is what led to black people being stopped because they were driving a nice car. I don’t know what the answer is!

philconsequence
    Free Member

WOAH THERE!

black people are allowed to drive cars? next thing women will be voting and gays will be allowed to celebrate their relationships with some kinda civil partnership!

will somebody please think of the children?!

(i like this idea if it reduces bike theft, but i’d probably like the idea less if i was being stopped and had my winter hack bike taken from me when i’m riding to the gym in tracksuit trousers and an old t-shirt)

MrAgreeable

Prove it’s mine? Prove it isn’t Mr Policeman.

A textbook example of What Not To Say. 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Similar logic is what led to black people being stopped because they were driving a nice car. I don’t know what the answer is!

No thats racism, prejudice against chavy scrotes is perfectly acceptable in my world.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not against the law to discriminate on the basis of fashion sense yet though (re. burberry caps)

I’m sure the few people on here complaining about civil liberties would soon change their tune if their stolen bike was returned to them.

MrAgreeable

Just out of interest how many people in favour of this have had a bike stolen recently, and how many against haven’t? Suspect there’s a neat looking Venn diagram to to drawn…

ransos
    Free Member

No thats racism, prejudice against chavy scrotes is perfectly acceptable in my world.

The principle is the same – you’re stopping someone because of the way they look. As I said, I don’t know what the answer is.

ransos
    Free Member

Just out of interest how many people in favour of this have had a bike stolen recently, and how many against haven’t? Suspect there’s a neat looking Venn diagram to to drawn…

I applaud the police for taking more action, but I’m not sure this is the best way of doing it.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah, Elfinsafety is back. How is the head? Did sir have a few beers last night maybe?

I coon’t possibly comment…. 😳

I’m sure the few people on here complaining about civil liberties would soon change their tune if their stolen bike was returned to them.

Might as well just arrest everyone because of crimes they might possibly have committed, then?

No?

See, the problem with something like this is, if the police do stop someone and seize their property, that person may well have grounds to argue against ‘reasonable suspicion’ and then you’ve got another problem. You stop me and take my bike, ruin my day, make me miss my train/appointment etc, you better bloody well be able to prove ‘reasonable suspicion’ or I’m having you up on harassment dirty babylon.

brakes
    Free Member

The principle is the same – you’re stopping someone because of the way they look.

this is not the case, they’re stopping someone because they look like they’re riding a stolen bike – not, for example, because they have a big nose and big nosed people steal more bikes (true fact).
    there is a difference.

hilldodger
    Free Member

As I said, I don’t know what the answer is.

Probably something along the lines of:
    Repressive fascist state funded babylonian/Law enforcement officer (delete as preferred) “Excuse me Sir, we’re looking into bicycle theft locally, could I ask if you have any proof that you own that bike or have permission to ride it”
    STW liberista “You’ll never take me alive cozzer, I has rights innit [throws policeman the Vs and tries to make getaway on woefully undergeared SS]”
    Normal person “Sorry officer, not with me right now, but I do have receipts and details at home, also have plenty of pictures of me riding/racing/posing on it I could show you”

Which response do you think is going to get a polite “Thank you Sir, that’s fine” and which is going to get a lot of hassle (subsequently whinged about on t’inernetz) ?

People ask for common sense from the Police, but it cuts both ways doesn’t it……..

ransos
    Free Member

this is not the case, they’re stopping someone because they look like they’re riding a stolen bike – not, for example, because they have a big nose and big nosed people steal more bikes (true fact).
    there is a difference.

It depends how you do it. If someone riding an expensive bike is stopped because they’re wearing a burberry cap, that’s little different to stopping someone driving an expensive car because they are black. I guess what I’m saying is they could probably enforce this with some knowledge and common sense, but it’s a big “if”.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no you are stopping someone because they appear to not “look right” on the bike they are riding
    How would you tell a bike looks stolen from it being ridden down the road?
    Magic eyes?

ransos
    Free Member

Probably something along the lines of:

If you’re going to use the word “probably”, it’s best not to follow it with an improbable scenario born in your over-active imagination.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

STW liberista “You’ll never take me alive cozzer, I has rights innit [throws policeman the Vs and tries to make getaway on woefully undergeared SS]”

😆

no you are stopping someone because they appear to not “look right” on the bike they are riding

Let’s be honest, this applies to most STWers really, dun’t it?

brakes
    Free Member

Magic eyes?

you know what I mean, I’m not getting drawn into an argument over semantics.

ransos
    Free Member

I don’t know what you mean. How does someone look like they’re riding a stolen bike?

hilldodger
    Free Member

ransos – Member
    If you’re going to use the word “probably”, it’s best not to follow it with an improbable scenario born in your over-active imagination.

“….tries to make getaway on woefully undergeared SS”

You’re right of course, that would never happen, not ever, at all….

MrAgreeable

Another point: if you’ve got a bike and don’t have anything that would prove ownership (such as a record of the serial number, a detailed description, or even a photo of the wretched thing) how do you expect to be able to prove it’s yours if it gets stolen and then recovered?

ransos
    Free Member

You’re right of course, that would never happen, not ever, at all….

Exactly. I, for example, wouldn’t be seen dead on a SS.

Next!

Junkyard
    Free Member

I know the point you are making but I reject it. I cannot see how you can stop someone without Pre-judging [using prejudice] them as you cannot tell a bike is stolen by looking at the bike ergot you must look at the rider and judge.

I see the point you are tryin gto make thiough but hopefully yo see th eproblem with it…how can we implement this fairly

chakaping
    Free Member

And I bet in a town the size of Preston many of the people stopped will already be known to the police.

xiphon
    Free Member

I live near Preston, and have a bright pink bike.

I’m f–ked then.

hilldodger
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

Let’s be honest, this applies to most STWers really, dun’t it?

‘ello, ‘ello, ‘ello – scuse me Sir, you seem to be looking like a right wrong’un and riding that there bicycle in a manner most inappropriate, I’m going to ‘ave to stitch you up like the proverbial kipper and take you back to the station for a proper good kickin’

donsimon
    Free Member

Acceptable documentation

Acceptable documentation regarding ownership is a receipt, a photograph of the rider on the bike seized, a house insurance document/bicycle insurance document that has the bike listed or a bank statement showing the purchase of the bike from a cycle shop. Lancashire Police said that inquiries could also be carried out with the shop that the bike was bought from to confirm ownership.
    How’s your Spanish fellas? 😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvPnPI8mJGM[/video]

Love the bit of Old Skool racism at the end! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Full-on anti theft tactics from Preston police’ is closed to new replies.