Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Full length road mudguards for bikes with eyelets.
  • neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Bugger.! My rear mudguard is beyond repair and I am looking for a replacement. My bike has eyelets so what do you recommend.? Must be full length.

MrGreedy

Standard answer = SKS Chromoplastics

Worked fine for me on a couple of bikes, pretty simple to fit (depending on the bike) and they keep you dry.

thomthumb
    Free Member

^yep.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

tortec good also.

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you want bling gillesberthoud

(Choose fenders then carbon fibre or chrome)

Do some lovely carbon fibre (up to 25 mm tyre) or chrome guards 28 mm tyre (40 mm guard) and up. Pics here as linking the GB site relies on search results.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

If you want FULL length then SKS longboards

frazered
    Free Member

i have the chromaplastics – not easy to fit in that the stays are too long so need sawing down for my road bike – pain the arse

paddy0091
    Free Member

Had SKS before, very good. Now using Tortec which IIRC were easier to fit

mrblobby
    Free Member

Have a similar issue with the chromoplastics having just been trying to fit them. Stays far too long. Also the bit that is meant to go through the brake bolt on the back of the fork doesn’t want to fit as I have a recessed bolt thing. Need to do some fiddling. Still fitting aside, they look like they may last a while unlike the flimsy Crud ones I had before.

TheBrick
    Free Member

i have the chromaplastics – not easy to fit in that the stays are too long so need sawing down for my road bike – pain the arse

They have to have adjustment in them so they fit lots of different bikes, they should not be hard to fit. You can always get a bike shot to fit them. Try using bolt cutters to snip the stays, just mind your eyes.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Also the bit that is meant to go through the brake bolt on the back of the fork doesn’t want to fit as I have a recessed bolt thing. Need to do some fiddling

Not ideal but you can just place the mount at the front of the forks instead. Or buy or make on of these.

http://problemsolversbike.com/products/sheldon_fender_nuts

EDIT: didn’t realise they were available at sjs a little over priced but if you don’t want to mount the mudguard 1″ further forward its a solution.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/problem-solvers-sheldon-fender-nuts-per-pair-prod18687/

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks, that is just what I need.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Got the Fender Nuts. Slight issue for anyone fitting them in a hurry, the bolts in the SKS pack are M5 and the fender nuts need M6. Other than that they’re pretty cool.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I always put the top mount at the front of the fork. To me its the only place. Behind means you have less front cover. My way does move the rear mudflap up a touch but its taken that every mudflap is too short (as they are no where near the ground) anyway so extending will happen anyway.
    Much to my surprise someone on the CTC forum did some weighing and found that some of these fancy alloy guards as lighter than the SKS things.

aikon
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of these and have to say they’re fantastic, come on and off easily and give good coverage, I’m so pleased with them I’m going to buy another pair in case they stop making them
    http://bontrager.com/model/08440

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Full length road mudguards for bikes with eyelets.’ is closed to new replies.