Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Full length gear cable: Ferrules
  • saosin
    Free Member

Hi, so I ordered myself a roll of SP41 outer with the intention of converting mine and my girlfriend’s bike to full length gear outer but I need to get some ferrules to seal the ends, so far the only options I’ve been able to find are the plastic XT ends at CRC linky and these SIS ebay jobbys… Oh and these jagwire ones.

Could anyone running full length outers offer any advice regarding best ferrules to use etc? I don’t mind paying for the SIS ones if they’re what’s needed but I’d rather not pat 1.99 + 1.99 P&p for each one! But on the other hand I don’t want to negate the benefits of the full outer by going for rubbish ferrules.

Cheers,
    Ben

z1ppy

I just went for plastic ones, as running full length cables, the only place dirt can get in, is at either end… hardly an issue at the bar end & though it will migrate slowly up from the bottom, it’s working against gravity, so IME not a major issue.

granny_ring

Did you buy the sp41 from parkers? If so they have got the shimano ones on there too.

tinsy
    Free Member

Have you thought of middleburn oilers while your at it?

saosin
    Free Member

sp41 was from the classifieds on here, couldnt see any shimano ferrules on parkers. I’ll probably just opt with the plastic jobbys to be honest.

With regard to the middleburn oilers, would they be worth it considering the casing is sp41 so pre lubed? Also would WD40 mess with the grease in the cable?

Sorry if the above seem like stupid questions lol!

BlindMelon
    Free Member

These come with 10 ferrules in the pack

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=71664

If you want me to stick a few in the post let me know. I’ve plenty spare!

z1ppy

I do like them & I have a set but see them as pointless on a full length pre-lubed cable. If you fussy maybe have one 6-12″ of the bottom of the cable to flush what little can migrate up the cable. I’ve found I really have had no need to change full length cables once fitted, so the Middleburn’s are sitting unused

tinsy
    Free Member

saosin, I am not familiar with the cables sorry, they sound like it wouldnt be a good match to the oilers… I just run cheap cables!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Full length gear cable: Ferrules’ is closed to new replies.