Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Full faces…
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Want to give some more full on DHing a go but would like a full face to give my pretty face a chance of survival (although “pretty” might be an overstatement which would mean I don’t actually need one)

Any recommendations on helmets and places to get them?

Do I need to try before I buy?

GolfChick
    Free Member

ive got a giro remedy carbon that im taking to the alps so can recommend that but YES you must try the helmets on, everybody has different shaped heads, different shaped cheeks everything. What one person likes another may hate! Also it depends on budget and how much you want to spend!

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Ideally as little as possible… but obviously making sure I buy something which provides the appropriate level of protection.

mysterymove
    Free Member

defo try before you buy, for me Troy Lee was spot on for me, but out of my price range so bought THE ONE, no complaints so far…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

try on as many as possible, and dont go for the super cheep ones, ive found guite a few of the £40-£60 ones weren’t even mouled symetricaly!

GolfChick
    Free Member

the non carbon giro remedy is quite well priced but again it depends on which one/ones fit your head best.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Buy a cheap one, like a 661 Strike from CRC at £40. Measure your head, order and then change if it’s not right. If you’re just starting to give DH riding a go, then it’s not worth spending more on a super expensive helmet. It’s questionable whether the more expensive helmets offer any greater degree of protection anyway, perhaps the ones designtated for MX (i.e. motorised use) do, but you’re not going to be going fast enough to need that extra protection.

Most of the premium comes from use of materials and design, e.g. a carbon Troy Lee is £300 because a)it’s Carbon and b)it’s a Troy Lee. In reality you’re head’s no safer because it cost 7 times more than the 661 cited above.

You should also get some body armour, again, nothing too expensive. This will not stop you from breaking bones but it will save your skin from being ripped to pieces when you crash (and you will crash!). A jacket with spine guard, knee/shin pads, goggles – these are essential; the last thing you want is crap in your eye – and probably dual ply tyres. Maybe get the body armour from eBay? Best not to get a helmet from there though.

Let us know if you need any other advice on getting started and above all have fun.

Tracey

Try before you buy, all my helmets have been medium but ended up with a small Specialized carbon one, shop around, I got mine for half price at local store

Tracey

MrAgreeable

I’ve got a Bell Bellistic which was cheap as chips (about £40 if you snoop around), well-vented and light. Protection-wise it’s good enough for the likes of Cedric Gracia, so I reckon it’ll do me fine.
    Definitely try before you buy though, I’ve found one manufacturer’s helmet to be agony compared to another’s, even in the same size.

ive found guite a few of the £40-£60 ones weren’t even mouled symetricaly!

Did you get your micrometer out, or could you tell just by looking? 🙄

GolfChick
    Free Member

just bear in mind that if u try one from crc and it doesnt fit you’ll have postage costs to cover, and then the next one if its not right too when you could just pay the fuel to go say leisurelakes or evans and try some on easily. I went a few places before i found what i wanted and then i searched online once i knew what i wanted.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Did you get your micrometer out, or could you tell just by looking? 🙄

no need to be sarky!

The mouth guard bit wans’t centeral when I put it on, and it wasn’t just my head becasue the next one was off to the other side!

MrAgreeable

Sorry to doubt your expertise but that just sounds like you weren’t putting it on straight.

grumm
    Free Member

Def worth trying a few on. I’ve got a non carbon Remedy and it’s nice and comfy. I used it for a few XC rides while I was waiting for a replacement to my Hex, and it was fine.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Full faces…’ is closed to new replies.