Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Full Facer for trail riding?
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

Does such a thing exist as a full facer that is light/breathable etc enough for wearing for all trail riding or am I dreaming?

banks
    Free Member

I really doubt it. Best bet is a piss pot or the new fashion enduro helmets which offer more coverage at the back of the head.

Potdog
    Free Member

How about the Urge Archienduro, that sounds like what you’re looking for.

Northwind

Archi-enduro is probably the best bet but it’ll still be horrible (the down-o-matic is also excellently vented, and it’s still brutal for climbing in)

dyna-ti

I was talking to a chap today and he was wearing on of the new style enduro lids and tbh it looked rather neat and quite protective.Looked like the fit was far more comfortable. 😕

supercarp

I have been thinking about this. I think it will only be a matter of time before someone makes a light well vented full face/trail helmet as bikes are getting faster and trails more to technical. I would prefer a full face from a protection point of view.

Ambrose

Met Parachute

3-

2-

1-

Runs and hides…

mrelectric

Spec Deviant. Briill & fab

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Why ? Is you really ugly ?

Northwind

Met Parachute… Some folks deride them, I’ve seen one in action and it did a superb job. But it’s not supposed to offer the same protection as a real full face

superfurryhead
    Free Member

+1 for met parachute, not as hardcore as a full face, saved my bro in law from losing his face when he hit rockslabs a couple of years back.

passtherizla
    Free Member

as helmets go though… the parachute is easily the stupidest looking helmet available. Yes I do think there are some helmets that look OK.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

as helmets go though… the parachute is easily the stupidest looking helmet available. Yes I do think there are some helmets that look OK.

Yep but you can’t see that when you are wearing it. Best compromise I have seen and used. Used very extensively and it saved my face.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I hit the floor just over 2 weeks ago and shattered my jaw in 3 places, so permanently titanium plated jaw and my parents are now sticking to the guns of the fact i should be riding with a full facer (i respect their opinion and at least wanted to find out if it was possible)

Thanks for everyones suggestions, Ill have a look through them.. either way I need a new helmet as the old one has an enormous crack where it saved my life.

sircharles
    Free Member

The Met parachute is by far the best choice for you,I wear mine all the time and I think they look quite good

hora
    Free Member

and it’s still brutal for climbing in

Take it off, strap it across your chest- using each strap looped under each arm of your backpack.

If its a long climb its madness to wear a helmet. Its not a faff either considering the time spent spinning up.

NormalMan

The parachute has been discontinued. I have a whole load of dental work going on and am thinking its time to protect my face a bit more!

That said, a DH full face is overkill for my riding so something like the parachute would have been spot on I’d imagine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

That is a real shame, some days I wanted to put mine back on with the hope of seeing some STW’s haterz out and about 🙂

After that the carbon deviant is a fair bit heavier and more of a light DH rather than a tough/heavy trail lid (yep I know that space is thin) Not tried any of the others about.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Does such a thing exist as a full facer that is light/breathable etc enough for wearing for all trail riding

Not yet.

am I dreaming?

Fraid so.

chiefgrooveguru

I’d also think about how you ended up landing on your face? (Hope you’re recovering ok, sounds painful!) Was it just bad luck or did you get something wrong on the technique front? It’s easy to over-rotate on gnarly stuff when you get tense.

hora
    Free Member

That said, a DH full face is overkill

Why worry what others think? No one is going to pay your bills. If I see someone in a full face on a regular trail but wearing xc kit/xc bike I think ‘ah I know why’.

If I see someone in a DH helmet, pj’s top etc on a regular trail I think ‘hes going to bust some moves for us’ or hes a knob.

Its obvious- to anyone who it isn’t – they don’t matter to you.

brant
    Free Member

hes a knob.

You riding hebden tonight?

patriotpro
    Free Member

so permanently titanium plated jaw

Kudos for going to such lengths just to shave a few grammes. 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Protection is a personal thing. Don’t worry about the opinion of randomers. A friend has a parachute, from memory the chin guard comes off so climb up with it as a normal lid and just put the guard on before pointing downwards?

rocketman
    Free Member

Does such a thing exist as a full facer that is light/breathable etc enough for wearing for all trail riding

I have an entry level 661 it’s ff-shaped but it’s not a proppa ff. The construction and design makes it feel familiar to anyone who is more used to a normal bicycle helmet – a typical beginner’s ff. The lining is thin, the helmet is light and it has a massive aperture it’s quite easy to use it for trail riding when the weather’s not too hot. Also have a Met Parachute which has its uses but for me it’s not a go-to helmet. The design is a bit dated now and generally I find it heavy/enclosed enough to be intrusive but draughty enough to be uncomfortable unless the weather is warm

Might also want to look at Cratoni

cakefacesmallblock

It’s unfortunate that sometimes these things have to be decided in hindsight I guess.
    Occasional towpath forays without a lid are a thing of the past for me, having smashed my lid, not my head at Cannock on woodwork two years ago.
    Earlier this year I bought a Bell Drop f/f lid in Halfrauds sale (£25 bargain)as a just in case because it was cheap. I wore it this week for the first time when we rode a one off at Antur Stiniog and to be honest I’d not have ridden it in my trail lid.
    Now,I’m not about to start wearing it on rides in Wyre, but then, I’ve not smashed my face in and I have always been ugly.
    If it lets you ride either confidently, or as a parental “smoother”, then why not ?
    To be blunt I’d think about carting it strapped on your pack on the claimbs and wear an xc lid, then swap them round on the downs.
    Biggest downer for a f/f lid is probably that no one can see your grin ! But then it’s your ride, not theirs.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I’d also think about how you ended up landing on your face? (Hope you’re recovering ok, sounds painful!) Was it just bad luck or did you get something wrong on the technique front? It’s easy to over-rotate on gnarly stuff when you get tense.

I would LOVE to know what I did wrong, unfortunately when going 30mph on your regular natural forest, ride it 5 days a week, route and hitting the floor you tend to have some blank spots in your memory!

Far as I knew I was riding in forest next minute that I’m aware of I’m already on the phone to 999 trying to explain to them where I am. I only know for sure where it happened as a few hours later I had a brief flash of it and my OH went back a few days later and recovered one of my front teeth, roots n all!

hora
    Free Member

I was there last night brant as I had to rush over to Hudds.

Seen a bloke on a old R reg 500cc scrambler bike locally? I had a good nosey, its seen better days but boy its bloody nice.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Now,I’m not about to start wearing it on rides in Wyre, but then, I’ve not smashed my face in and I have always been ugly.

Keep an eye out for my two other missing front teeth and it’s the wyre to blame!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Casco Viper.

Whilst I don’t use mine for UK trail riding some of my pals do.

I wear mine in Europe (Alps ect) and its light, great airflow and you can hear things going on around you. Chin guard is removable.

hora
    Free Member

passtherizla
    Free Member

Seems like a big gap in the market for something like this… I sweat buckets in any lid, to the point that my hair is wet through after about 20 minutes riding. So everything is too hot.

Northwind

hora – Member

Take it off, strap it across your chest- using each strap looped under each arm of your backpack.

For every climb? No thanks.

Thing about this approach is that sooner or later, you find a techy bit mid-climb or a very short descent. Can you be bothered putting it on, taking it off, every time? I wouldn’t. We watched a guy ride round McMoab with a full face on his back, interesting.

A helmet you’re wearing will offer more protection than the one on your camelbak. And you’re never more likely to crash than when you’ve boiled your head.

hora
    Free Member

When I need a new lid again I’m going to have a look at the Cratoni. Any views etc would be great. Pity the graphics are abit pap.

And you’re never more likely to crash than when you’ve boiled your head

There, you’ve said it yourself. When its really a humid day in Summer and its a long ride you are more likely to lose concentration if you overheat. A 20min climb will help you cool- remember most heat loss is through your head…

I strap it to my front, across my camelbak straps. I don’t get this middle-aged obsession with must wear everthing everywhere 100% of the time. If we are that obsessed then we shouldn’t really ride anything vaguely technical.

Yes – you can come off on non-technical JRA stuff but then thats freak. A mate had to have his ankle fused after putting a foot wrong on the stairs at home. Should we install a lift, but then the doors need to be safe and etc etc etc etc.

Northwind

hora – Member

A 20min climb will help you cool

How about a 1 minute climb in a 20 minute descent? Or a 1 minute descent in a 20 minute climb? Or a traverse that’s 10 1 minute climbs and 1 minute descents?

Dales_rider
    Free Member

GolfChick – Member

I hit the floor just over 2 weeks ago and shattered my jaw in 3 places, so permanently titanium plated jaw(

It happens my eldest decked it in Barcelona a few years ago and now has a Ti plate in her wrist, there is nothing you can do to protect against that and the chances of it happening again are less than winning the lottery so just buy a really good helmet.

hora
    Free Member

How about a 1 minute climb in a 20 minute descent?

Holds Northwinds hand = The answer there is keep your helmet on.

Or a 1 minute descent in a 20 minute climb?

1min descent always equals helmet on.

Do you understand the concept of a long drawn-out climb that I was giving an example on? Its not hard drawn-out concept now is it. At no point did I say ‘a long climb with a descent in’ did I? 🙄

Northwind

hora – Member

Do you understand the concept of a long drawn-out climb that I was giving an example on?

I did. I also understand that a 20 minute climb isn’t cooling, helmet on or off, unless you’re barely moving.

Did you understand that I was talking about all climbing and you came back with a limited example as if it was of relevance to all climbing?

hora
    Free Member

No you amended/edited and added onto my example.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Full Facer for trail riding?’ is closed to new replies.