Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Full face or not
  • lee93
    Free Member

Hi all
    I’m riding with a giro rift helmet which for the money isn’t bad but now I’m starting to get a lot more aggressive riding-(faster dh and a little more air) I’m thinking I may need a full face helmet!
    My local riding is whinlatter trail center – maybie forest – newcastletion
    Will a full face be over kill for trail centers or not?
    I also ride a lot of natural stuff in the lakes to – borrow dale bash – long scale fell – skidaw loop
    My only issue is getting too hot when claiming my lbs have a bluegrass full face in which I love the look of charcoal and red colour any tips on getting one and riding in them?? Lee! 8)

meddle
    Free Member

I always wear a full face, have a fear of smashing my face on a rock. I get used to the heat in the summer, and it’s nice and warm in the winter. Screw what people think, full face and crawl trails ftw.

jedi

you only have one face and if it helps you enjoy your riding then wear one

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    marcusmtb
    Free Member

Will a full face be over kill for trail centers or not?

Not if you smash your face into the floor it won’t.

The trick with this mountain biking stuff is to stop worrying what other people say about you when you buy this or that, or do this or that.

Enjoy what you do, not what other’s think of you.

lee93
    Free Member

Thanx fella I do fear of smashing my chin and jaw if any thing went rong are they all much the same or are there any better than others?

jonba
    Free Member

I ride all of that stuff with a lightweight xc lid. Having said that, riding is fine it’s crashing when you have issues. One of our club had a bad crash on spooky wood at Glentress and ended up in an induced coma for 3 days. So just because it is familiar to some doesn’t mean it is safe for all.

If you don’t want a full on down hill lid have a look at some of the crossover options like the Casco Viper or the met parachute.

Plenty of our club now wear full faces at trail centres as unlike more traditional xc riding you are going to be getting your wheels off the ground, riding drops and probably a little faster as corners are bermed and trails built to carry speed. Having seen some one hurt themselves really badly hit home with some. I’m an xc whippet so can’t stand the heat of bulky helmets.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If I see you at whinlatter wearing a full face hlemet then I’ll laugh (if only to myself)

They arent necessary, especially for trail centres. They are hot and heavy. Descending wrynose pass on the road bike is scarier than any of the downhills at whinlatter, but I dont wear one for that.

I’d say you should go on a skills course with Jedi above, then you’ll be more confident in your riding and you wont feel like you need to wear a full sus for mincing round trail centres.

jedi

i wear a kali avatar2 when i need a full face . very light

Northwind

Well, it’s your face. But for trail centre use a proper full face does seem a little nuts tbh. Especially fairly mellow places like Mabie (nb- Darkside aside)

Mine gets worn for short periods, usually no climbing, and even then on hot days it’s not the nicest place to be. Now there are better vented options, like the Archi-Enduro, but I doubt those make enough of a difference.

So then you end up riding around with it on your back, and faffing around putting it on and off for descents, and probably sometimes just not bothering for short descents or techy climbs… And also pedalling around in a sweaty haze will make you more likely to bin it in the first place.

There are sort of semi-full helmets like the Met Parachute and Casco Viper which do have their fans, but also detractors. I’ve seen the Met be effective, but I don’t like its construction. Never seen a Viper crashtested, it does look a little better.

But- it’s your head and your face. Perhaps for you it’d be worth it all. People will sneer at you, don’t worry about that, but just from the practical side I wouldn’t even consider it myself.

meddle
    Free Member

I’m pretty rubbish at riding and mostly always have at least one tumble at a trail centre and the full face has helped, so for me extra protection > hot & heavy. I do sometimes feel like jabbing a few people who sometimes comment. Elitist *****.

steezysix
    Free Member

Maybe have a look at something like the POC Trabec or Giro Feature? More head coverage than an xc lid but not as warm as a full face. I’ve just ordered a Feature to replace my Hex. That said, somewhere like Cwmcarn, I’d definitely wear a full face.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Watch some Josh Stricker or Sean Burns videos to see whats possible without wearing a helmet. Inspirational characters. It’ll make you wonder why you’re being such a wuss.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@lee – if your only concern with a full face is getting hot whilst climbing then buy a large enough backpack and put the helmet in that uphill.

chiefgrooveguru

It isn’t about what’s possible without a helmet, it’s about feeling comfortable in yourself so that you can ride well without excess nerves. I feel weird being on a bike without a helmet but unfortunately further armour feels weird too.

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

@lee – if your only concern with a full face is getting hot whilst climbing then buy a large enough backpack and put the helmet in that uphill.

Thing is though, you don’t just crash on descents. I remember watching a chap ride round McMoab with a full face on his back, I can’t think of anywhere at Kirroughtree I’m more likely to smash out all my teeth. But it’s hard pedalling so I guess he’d have boiled over.

The helmet you’re wearing is going to be better than the helmet you’re not I reckon, as with all protective kit.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If they had the internet you would have read all this when they suggested that motorbike riders wore helmets

Ignore the warriors who name call [ probably bumped their heads a few too many times] and wear what you want

I rarely use my Full face but if I think the terrain demands it i will take it.
    I dont care what other folk think tbh

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I have both a normal XC lid (Giro – one of the cheaper ones – can’t remember the model) & a No Fear Prime II Evo full face.

I take the XC lid for all XC riding & any trail centre riding. I only use the full face for uplift days/jump parks etc.

Wore the full face today & was sweating quite a bit in it (a bit of 4x & DH). Wouldn’t want to wear it XC ever.

However if you want a bit more protection, then why not think about an Urge Archi Enduro – one of my mates has one & it seems a bit better ventilated than my full face. It’s also noticably lighter.

If you’re going down a trail worrying about coming off, then this will make you more tense & you’re more likely to crash. Wear whatever makes you most relaxed on your bike.

juan
    Free Member

I said we should really do something so giro bring back the switchback…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – Member

It isn’t about what’s possible without a helmet, it’s about feeling comfortable in yourself so that you can ride well without excess nerves. I feel weird being on a bike without a helmet but unfortunately further armour feels weird too.

Trouble is its a fine line between that and over condfidence / risk compensation and thus merely ending up crashing harder.

juan
    Free Member

so basically you’re telling me §TJ that if I remove all my motorcycling gear I would never crash again…

_tom_
    Free Member

I only wear a full face for DH/freeridey stuff as it’s too hot for anything else. Trail centres I wear an xc helmet and it’s fine. I do feel much more confident on the descents with a full face on though, just too uncomfortable for anything else.

Northwind

Junkyard – Member

If they had the internet you would have read all this when they suggested that motorbike riders wore helmets

Yep, I’m sure the MAG focussed on how impractical helmets are for pedalling your motorbike around trailcentres…

Sure, the same sort of bollocksy arguments do get knocked around but there’s legitimate practical reasons that a fullface isn’t the ideal tool for the job.

jonba
    Free Member

http://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.com/2012/03/cycle-helmets.html

interesting read this. Written from a legal rather than medical perspective.

so basically you’re telling me §TJ that if I remove all my motorcycling gear I would never crash again…

no he’s not…

thomthumb
    Free Member

I said we should really do something so giro bring back the switchback…

all that brittle plactic so close to my face. no thank you.

helemts/ pads are a bit like tyres run what ever you like; other people might have differing opinions but at the end of the day it’s your choice.

henni
    Free Member

I rode with a full face helmet for the first time today and it made me feel so much safer. So felt safe about riding a bit harder and on climbs you can just tie the strap round your backpacks shoulder straps (so it doesn’t move about too much).

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

That is a great piece Jonba. thanks.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Wear what you want, but there’s no way I could enjoy a day’s riding in a full-face. The noise of my breathing scares me in there, I’m not keen on the restricted sense of what’s going on around me, and the weight and heat are hideous.

🙂

makkag
    Free Member

wear what you feel comfortable in .. had a nasty off last week banged my bonce and had concussion symptoms most of the week. decided to go to chicksands for a bit of a play to get my confidence back and decided to use full face today . i have been round there loads of times in my normal helmet but just needed a a confidence boost today .

if you feel like you need one give it a go, but i couldnt keep one on all day, uplifts and ski lifts only really for me !

deanfbm
    Free Member

josh stricker

Cheers for that reminder, my favourite video part since i was about 15.

I always have this debate in my head, should i or shouldn’t take my full face when im dhing or freeriding.

It’s your choice at the end of the day. Maybe until you have learnt to fall, go full face if you feel you’ll be doing anything out of control.

But as others have suggested, if you feel you need more protection, get something like a giro feature, it feels protective enough to me coming from a skate lid.

You can fall on your face at anytime, usually when you least expect it, not usually when you’e doing something big for the first time because you’re really focused.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Watch some Josh Stricker or Sean Burns videos to see whats possible without wearing a helmet.

Yeah but watching the stuff Sean Burns attempts, can’t help but think he’s hit his head one too many times 😆

lee93
    Free Member

Didn’t think this post would of go much replies….
    The thing is I think my riding is up to scratch I feel confident when pushing hard on the downhill sections but it must go throw peoples heads that if they where to crash out and land bad (let’s say smashing the chin- jawbone off a stump) would you not wish you had a full face?
    Can’t say Im thinking of all this while I’m out having the best time of my life it’s more when sitting in car on way home I also forgot to say I do a lot of my riding on my own!..

boneisland
    Free Member

I still can’t get my head around why its so taboo for a rider to wear a FF while on a XC run??? Ive read a few messages (across other forums too) where people are saying they would laugh at FF users?? The bloke above advising ‘lee93’ to go on a bike handling course?????
    Even the best riders can spark out at times so thats why i wear a Casco Viper while riding runs like Llandegla. I’ve actually had an argument with a numbskull while using my FF about my FF. Its not a fashion show (for most its not anyway) and even though i take a lot of pride in my appearance while riding, nothing can replace my front teeth. Unfortunatly its human nature to wish you’d closed the gate after the horse had bolted…..so i don’t want to wish i was wearing a FF while having numerous stitches put into my face and thinking up how im gonna explain my tooth loss to the wife!!

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d say only an idiot would make comment to a complete stranger about their choice of gear. Personally my take on protective gear is wear as much as you can to the point it detracts from your riding. For me g-form pads are so comfy I wear them pretty much any time I’m not going out for a bimble, a full-face though is a bit more intrusive and have only worn one on uplift DH days. My crashes tend to involve elbows and knees to date so I don’t really have the face-plant fear, if I did I’d go with a Parachute or Viper for XC. If someone’s comfy enough in a FF to wear it for XC though then good on them.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Full face or not’ is closed to new replies.