• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Taz.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Full face helmets for 'Enduro' racing
  • Taz

One of the things that really hit me when doing the Megavalanche this year was just how hard it was to get air in with a full face helmet on.

I know altitude was a big factor but did wonder if a dedicated Enduro full face helmet would be better than my TLD D3

I was thinkning about the Urge or Bluegrass enduro models.

Anyone use these and think they help at all?

Thanks

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got a cheep 661 full face (polycarbonate rather than fiberglass shell). I’ve never really suffered from a lack of air in it even on long decents. Can just about climb in it on a very cold day, but it’s still uncomfortably hot doing that, it’s certainly the temp that gets me not any lack of air.

Northwind

See, I’m not sure how much of it is real and how much is in my head… With my old Strike, it felt a bit more enclosing and I definately blamed it for feeling out of breath sometimes. My newer Urge has a lot more vents and is just generally more open at the front, and I don’t get that feeling at all. But logically I doubt it really makes that much difference, there’s a massive hole at the top and bottom after all.

Big fan of my Urge Down-o-matic incidentally- it’s light, not too expensive, well made and seriously well vented. They do an enduro-specific fullface with a big mouth vent, which could be even better, but is more expensive.

superfli
    Free Member

I’ve been pretty surprised to be comfortable in my MX lid when doing DH or whole days in the Alps. I was worried I would be too hot before going to the Alps (and I’m a sweaty bugger), but with a damn sight less ventilation than dedicated MTB helmets, its been relatively sweat/pong free

Taz

Thanks guys

Was looking at the Urge Enduro model.

The descents are not the issue it was the climbing that these enduro races make you do :-(. Do wonder if it is in my head but think it is more than just that TBH

Will maybe go try on some Urge helmets at the LBS

MSP

I am not sure I would be confident descending without full face protection.

My carbon deviant helmet has good venting, and is light I think it would be ideal for enduro’s.

One thing I do notice is the noise of breathing inside the helmet really tricks the mind.

atlaz
    Free Member

I have a spec deviant too. Quite light, cooler than the average full face

Taz

MSP – Good point I had not thought about the noise thing. You’re right, I bet that is a factor

Will check out the Deviant also

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Full face helmets for 'Enduro' racing’ is closed to new replies.