Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Full face helmets
  • Diane
    Free Member

OK so i think i should perhaps get one of these for when i have a good day and 'go big':-)Not that i intend coming off.

So can you recommend me a fairly light weight one (Obviously fit is important) that's not too pricey?

solarider
    Free Member

I had the same choice a while back. This might help:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/full-face-helmets-discuss

Definitely take the plunge. It depends more on finding a good fit than anything else, despite what anybody else recommends as good value. Because your whole head is enclosed, fit is even more important and complicated to get right.

In the end I went for a THE, but only because it fit me best.

Olly
    Free Member

gotta go to the shop and try them on.

like shoes.
    you cant buy something like that online.
    and if its uncomfortable or rattly, its more dangerous than its worth, as will shake your headbox around and you could get whiplash.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johnikgriff
    Free Member

As already said, go try them on. I had my heart set on the new specialized devian 2 carbon. Tried in on and just didn't fit my head, actually hurt just having it on. I went for a Giro Remedy Carbon in the end, works for me.

yoshimi

As already said, go try them on. I had my heart set on the new specialized devian 2 carbon. Tried in on and just didn't fit my head, actually hurt just having it on. I went for a Giro Remedy Carbon in the end, works for me.

Swap Specialized for THE and this could be me

scruff
    Free Member

I bought one online, just took a guess onCRC and its really comfy, more luck than judgment (Oneal something or other)

juan
    Free Member

Well as said previously fit is by far the most important feature. Try as many as possibles. Dainese and giro have some very light helmets. The urge down-o-matic has a very good weight to money ratio.
    To be fair I would consider in order of importance:
    Fit
    Comfort
    Practicality (can you remove the liner to wash it)
    weight/price.

Makes sure you go to different bike shops to try different brands.
    Hope it helps

IainGillam
    Free Member

Personally I would look into getting a Motocross one as the MTB specific ones have no special safety standards over an xc lid. You can get some quite light mx lids for not too much money, for example Kenny Titanium is 1150g and costs circa £120.00, Airoh Dome 1350g also circa £120.00. As a comparison the Giro Remedy weighs 1050g and costs circa £100 so only 100g lighter than a motorcycle lid with an ACU gold stamp.

Iain

Diane
    Free Member

Hmm thanks guys – seems like it's trooping round bike shops or buy and swap routine from tinterweb.

MrNutt
    Free Member

best get a leatt brace or alternatively go for the 23 popped collars look:

ddmonkey

+1 for having to try them on. I'm no Jimmy Hill but I have a big chin and found that 661's didn't have a roomy enough chin guard! My chin touched the front… Giro Remedy was one of the few that felt roomy enough and is v comfy and secure if a bit warm.

MrAgreeable

I just reviewed the Bell Drop for a mate's online rag. It's a very nice bit of kit, light for a proper full face, and overall much better than the old Bellistic (which I also have) for not much more money. As said above though, fit is everything. Go on the snug side if in doubt as the liner can pack down over time.

grantway
    Free Member

I have The One composite and highly rate that
    friends of mine have the Giro Remedy which looks
    good, well vented and be a very good choice if no
    up lift available.
    Taken a look at the Troy Lee D3 Must be the best helmet out there
    But at £ 499 I need a sponsor.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Personally I would look into getting a Motocross one as the MTB specific ones have no special safety standards over an xc lid.

Which in turn is no more special than a roadie lid, which is no more special than a £5.99 one from woolworths.

A full face helmet form a reputable brand is going to be a lot more protective than a XC lid. If not quite upto MX standards, but then we're not going 60mph with 200kg lumps of metal flying about the place in a crash.

661 do a couple of different head shapes, one (the strike IIRC) fits me like a glove (better infact than my motorbike helmet) the other wouldn't even go over my head. Was arround £35 from CRC, reduced from £80ish. The weight isnt noticable as its COG is in th emiddle of your head rather than perched on top like an XC lid.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Personally I would look into getting a Motocross one as the MTB specific ones have no special safety standards over an xc lid

I'd suggest you have a read of the article in this month's Dirt mag on that very subject. Should debunk your theory somewhat.

akira

Iain Gillam what about ASTM 1952, the standard for downhill mountain bike racing helmets.
    Seems to be a specific test that would mean a DH helmet would be better than an XC one.

IainGillam
    Free Member

I stand corrected gents, still I can't see the advantage of a DH lid over an mx lid other than cooling.

Iain

solarider
    Free Member

other than cooling

Is that not enough? Without an engine, you really don't want to overheat since you are the only srouce of power.

IainGillam
    Free Member

Is that not enough? Without an engine, you really don't want to overheat since you are the only srouce of power.

For me no, safety is paramount when I buy a helmet I don't care if it is the lightest, looks coolest etc I want it to be the safest. DH isn't too far off the speed of mx at some times (and very similar to enduro) and I'd rather get hot than sacrifice the extra protection. The venting on mx helmets is fine once you are going a reasonable speed anyway. I also think they offer much more value for money than most of the DH lids for example comparing an Arai VX3 to the D3 and I would take the Arai every time have a look here for why http://www.whyarai.co.uk/why_arai2.php the Drop test being a highlight.

Iain

.duncan
    Free Member

the POC lids are probably the best out there, less styling than a D3 but more functional.

I myself went for the Giro Remedy, the composite one, despite being one of the heaviest lids around i don't feel the weight.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Full face helmets’ is closed to new replies.