Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • full face helmet for antur stiniog?
  • jskiffin
    Free Member

Do you need a full face helmet for the reds at antur stiniog?

Cant see any way of hiring when there!

If its a must any idea on a good cheap one I could get my hands on in cheshire (ish) area?

Or anyone got one they don’t use I could pilfer? Buy/rent may be the correct terminology!

kimbers

Personally I’d go full face

661 make good helmets for not much money,

Northwind

The blacks are officially fullface only, red and blue you’re fine with an open face. Though personally I was happy to be wearing my fullface on all the routes!

(well- when we were there some of the material said full face for both blacks, others full face for y du only, not sure exactly how that’s shaken out but it’ll make no odds to you)

If you decide to buy one, 661 are generally a good budget option, well made but a bit hefty. Er, risk of spam but I have a 661 Strike in medium going spare since I upgraded to my Urge, you could have that for not very much money.

jskiffin
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up kimber. Looked at the 661s

northwind

I fancy a blast on them all realky but had made the assumption you pointed out.

I had an archi (lovely helmet) and all the rest of the gubbins expected for “bigger” riding however flogged them all after mashing my knee in jan/feb.

Probably shouldnt be going haha but feeling A-Ok so though why not!

Where abouts are you? Think im about 58/59 so mediums generally ok.

**sorry not in right forum folks**

jonjones262
    Free Member

when you go there, do you leave all your gear that you’d normally take in the car?

camelback, pump, tubes, tools etc and just walk down if problems?

would be nice to ride without a rucksack

robhughes
    Free Member

NW.I’ll take that off you bud.. 😉

chiefgrooveguru

661 Comp Shifted are under £60 and surprisingly nice. I’m going to Antur a week on Friday despite not being quite fixed since I crashed and wrecked my last full-face!

jskiffin
    Free Member

In fact prob best if you email me johnskiffington (at) gmail (dot) com

Northwind

Heh, unspam the thread, my email’s in my profile 😉

jskiffin
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – that sounds like a meathed of a smash, what happened?

thegnarlycenturion
    Free Member

went two weekends ago now, and yes for leaving stuff in the car! the downside is you have to walk if you have a puncture, nearly impossible on the blacks

ff – not necessary but nice! very rocky and exposed..

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

jonjones: Yeah, leave everything in the car. If something breaks near the top then walk back up and get a lift down in the mini-bus, if further down it’s only a few mins walk to the bottom of the runs’ which are right next to the car park. It’s damn civilized!

Northwind

Oh aye, carrying kit is personal taste- I didn’t last time as it was a more sociable day but usually I do even on uplifts, just to keep things moving, you’re paying for every minute after all. Tube, pump, multitool and a little food and water. Antur’s not a big hill but it’d still take long enough to be annoying if you had to walk down.

jonjones262
    Free Member

^^^ nice one, thanks for the info.

How secure is the carpark?

Wallet, phone etc could also do with staying in the car.

(or just leave em at home, I guess)

jskiffin
    Free Member

I’m with northwind on that, nothing worse than wasting riding time.

chiefgrooveguru

chiefgrooveguru – that sounds like a meathed of a smash, what happened?

It was a few moments of complete inability to ride a bike at a time where I needed to ride at my best. On the one hand it’s deeply embarrassing but on the other hand, although my ribs still hurt four months on, I escaped without a broken neck, for which I’m incredibly thankful. It’s certainly changed my mindset – if I’m not feeling it, I don’t do it!

Relive the horror: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ye-gods-my-back-hurts-numpty-crash-content

wrecker
    Free Member

There are some bell full facers on sale at that flash sale website which shall not be named.

jonjones262
    Free Member

I guess a Rucksack minus Camelbak isn’t so heavy, 🙂

jskiffin
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru – i take it that was a full face plant? We’ve all done it. Glad you’re on the mend though!

iain1775
    Free Member

I’ve a 661 full face spare, if anyone can collect from Derby they can have it for £15
    It’s decent condition, not been crashed, just need it gone as I have a Kali one now

jskiffin
    Free Member

Passed through derby this evening 🙁

jskiffin
    Free Member

I guess a Rucksack minus Camelbak isn’t so heavy,

A tad more protection as well if not wearing spine protector!

jskiffin
    Free Member

Iain1775 – I can’t seem to get an email for you.

Mine is in my profile, if its a large I may try and sort something out.

iain1775
    Free Member

Jakiffin, whereabouts in Cheshire are you? And when do you need it by?
    My parents coming up from the Wirral soon may be able to arrange for them to drop it off to you on way back if you want

Edit- seen your last post, think its a medium, my head is 58cm fits me ok but may be too small for you
    Email is iainleyland at gmail dot com

jskiffin
    Free Member

I’m in Warrington and I’m at Ffestiniog on Sunday.

Was on email with Northwind and he’s thinks the archi and 661s share similar sizes, so I was a large in the enduro.

Measured my bonce and I’m defo 59 🙁

I may just have to hope I don’t face plant on Sunday haha

jonjones262
    Free Member

I’m there sunday too! ^^^

I’ll be the one mincing down, trying not to break a leg a week before my wedding! 😀

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘full face helmet for antur stiniog?’ is closed to new replies.