• This topic has 11 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by poah.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Full face and pads for occasional use
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

Hi I’m looking at buying a full face as I’ve bought myself a second hand giant reign for haveing a go at doing dh runs and more extrem runs at trail centers, I think it an early mid life crisis!

Anyway being as it is occasional use I don’t want to spend loads.
    Any one any expensive of helets like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-iDP-M1-Full-Face-DH-Downhill-MTB-Helmet-LARGE-Neon-Orange-/351474123915?hash=item51d57d848b

Or are all full face all the same? I’ve only used xc helmets and piss pots.

In addition what is everyone else wearing in addition on this type of runs? I have some knee and elbow so fell pretty protected.

andysredmini
    Free Member

If I was spending that much I would look at the 661 comp. I ended up getting a troy lee for a good price but my next choice was the 661 for occasional use.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Ideal I’d spend less but I’m a large.

singlespeedstu

Your first consideration should be if it fits you.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I would definitely recommend trying some on because sizes and fit vary a lot even within different models from the same brand. I found that not many local shops held stock of full face helmets and I had to try on the few I could find and a few that friends own a base my decision on those.

TheBrick
    Free Member

It pretty difficult to find places to try (especially ones that are open when I’m free!) that is why I’m just going off measurements.

singlespeedstu

Order a few from CRC and send back the ones that don’t fit.
    Measurements don’t mean much when it comes to the fit.

Northwind

661 Comp is good at the price. Can’t comment on others but yep, definitely no reason to spend

One thing to watch is, if you’re doing more than downhill you want to make sure it’s well vented- if you decide to wear it for trail centre stuff you’ll boil your head in a poorly ventilated lid, and that’s probably less safe than just wearing an open face and being comfy. Weight can make a bigger difference if you’re wearing it for longer, too. I’ve got the luxury of a light, very well vented fullface (down-o-matic) and even then, I don’t like wearing it for anything that’s using a lot of pedalling. I once wore my old Comp for an enduro rate and oh my word, miserable.

woodster

A mate has that helmet and gets on well with it, but no big crashes.

I’ve got a cheapy kali from CRC which is nice and light and fits my massive head well.

poah
    Free Member

The 7iDP M1 is the same helmet as the 661 comp but with brighter colours. I just got one to replace my worn out 661 comp.

TheBrick
    Free Member

That is not interesting plan I thought it looked similar.

@northwind. I was wondering about heat, probably best to keep to the pisspot or xc lid for the tamer stuff then and save full face for full on graarrrrrrr!!!!!

poah
    Free Member

get a met parachute, great helmet

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Full face and pads for occasional use’ is closed to new replies.