Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Full day to ride on Tuesday but lacking inspiration
  • Pook

I live just on the edge of the peak in West Sheffield. Any suggestions for a ride I can do from/to my door?

I’m considering getting a train somewhere then riding back

jekkyl

I have that problem too. I have ridden in every possible direction from my front door and often struggle to pick a route. Sometimes I’ll waste minutes at junctions deciding which way to go. I always have a route planned out so as to avoid this.

A whole day is something else entirely though, any time restaints? kids to drop off or pick up or can you be away at 6am and home for bedtime?
    How about the White peak? linacre classic is a good route and you can pick it up just south of Sheffield at Holmesfield. I have the gpx if you need and all the white peak vg routes.

Trimix
    Free Member

If you have a GPS you could have a go at Geocaching. Bit nerdy, but it will give you an excuse to ride somewhere.

jekkyl

if you’re on about train & roadie’ing back? York? Grimsby? Notts? or Manchester and back over the peak?

Pook

Off road. Start about 9, back mid-afternoon I guess

ElShalimo

Train to Chinley, then ride back over all the fun bits?

Pook

I’m tempted to train out to new mills and ride back

Edit: Yes! Didn’t see your reply before

MartynS

If you want some route suggestions from New Mills shout up..!

Pook

Nice climbs out first I guess. Plus…. Far Phoside or Peep O Day as a descent?

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Just looking at the Northern rails website and it states max two bikes on a FCFS basis
    Anyone know how strictly they enforce this if the train is not busy etc

AndrewL

Generally very relaxed with regards to number of bikes on Northern Rail between Manchester and Sheffield.

monksie
    Free Member

Train to Strines or Marple and ride back. 4 bikes on this morning’s 7.39 New Mills To Piccadilly. I don’t think it came from Sheff. though. Sorry. I don’t get the train often enough to know much more but nobody was enforcing a two bike rule this morning.

Pook

James, how about we gamble it – if it doesn’t work just get the next one and jump off a stop sooner?

montgomery
    Free Member

See which way the wind’s blowing on the day, ride to appropriate station, train back (or vice versa). Try and time the train journey outside peak commuter period. I’ve never had a problem even when the bike limit has been exceeded.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Full day to ride on Tuesday but lacking inspiration’ is closed to new replies.