• This topic has 21 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by br.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Full day pass issued by wife… what to do??
  • alansd1980

Birthday in a couple of weeks and since I don’t really want anything the wife would buy me I suggested a full day pass. Got a 2 year old with nipper number 2 due in November so thought this could be the last full day away for a while.

Live in Surrey so choices are limited by where I can get to and from in a day. Doing ride london next weekend so mtb more than road based. Any other suggestion. Can drive or take trains to/from start

Current thoughts are
    SDWIAD – Done sections of it but not the whole thing
    Trip to Cwmcarn, not been since the second xc trail opened so could make a day of it there.

Any other suggestions for a good day out?

alansd1980

Someone must have a suggestion for a good day out??

scaled
    Free Member

I think you’ve undersold yourself, should have gone for a weekend away so you can get to the peaks/lakes

northernmatt

Get up early, drive to Bike Park Wales and spend the day belting down the black runs on one of their big DH rigs that you can hire.

MoreCashThanDash

Coke and hookers not an option then?

alansd1980

Difficult pregnancies in the past mean no overnight passes issued which is fair enough. Not been to bpw but that not a bad idea, all I have is an Xc ht so hiring something a bit more bouncy could be fun!

alansd1980

Mctd, the following week is a heavy session so that kind of fun can be taken care of then!

ottocat
    Free Member

South Downs way.. Or downs link

Candodavid
    Free Member

Had my day pass for birthday ride today, 6 hours on Dartmoor with 3 others, even managed to have a nice pub lunch and a little too much beer, made the climb to Lustleigh cleave a bit comical

garage-dweller

Depending on your skill level / experience and cash flow why not book a day with singletrack school or jedi or similar?. Male that day really count for the longer term. I found a day with single track school to be good fun too. However if I was a Surrey hills regular I might want a different venue.

You have to have a pass to go out?

rob2
    Free Member

Cwmcarn is a good bet, or the gap ride in Brecon, or the quantocks (easy to get to off the motorway). I’d probably go cwmcarn

alansd1980

Thats exactly what I am looking at just now!

Trying to decide what course would be best, via singletrack school or if I should head to the Jedi depending on availability!

Surrey Hills course means I could ride over, do the course have a couple of hours riding and then ride home stopping for a couple of beers on the way!

rene59
    Free Member

Do husbands who need a pass from their wife also get to issue passes to their wife, or do they just go out without permission? 😀

loddrik
    Free Member

Spend it in bed. With a nipper on the way you’ll be glad you did.

alansd1980

It’s just a phrase people!

Does a thread asking for some suggestions on a days riding have to turn into a debate about marriage, children and how other commitments affect our ability to ride as often or for as long as we would have before!

Already got one little one so the day in bed would be over by 7.30 at the very latest

jambalaya
    Free Member

@alan I’ve done day trips to Wales from Surrey and doing them solo is very tiring, in particular the drive home after a days riding, not so safe IMO. If the pass can be extended to one day and a night then you could drive out to (say) Wales or Peak District (about 3 hours) do a big ride then stay overnight before driving home the next morning.

As you suggest you could attempt the SDW in a day, perhaps the mrs could collect you at the coast and the family could have an icecream on the beach ?

Alternatively I suggest you book a days coaching with Jedi (UK Bike Skills), pretty easy to get there and back from Surrey.

binners

Go and drink white cider in your local park all day, shout at buses, then collapse and piss yourself.

They’ve been some of the happiest days of my life

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Cwmcarn day trip, easy done and not a risky drive unless yer particularly unfit and the two loops tire you.

Yesterday I had a ‘pass’, did Swinley in the early morning then went climbing all afternoon, then went to see a film the wife would never want to see, job done. I was out the house 7.30am to 9.45pm. Couldnt go as far as Wales this time as the little ones arent old and wanted to be available if the s**t hit the fan and she needed asistance.

jedi

Thanks for the recommend 😀

jedi

Thanks for the recommend 😀

br
    Free Member

Does a thread asking for some suggestions on a days riding have to turn into a debate about marriage, children and how other commitments affect our ability to ride as often or for as long as we would have before!

Probably. 🙂

Cannock is near enough, but Afan is not much further (in time). Although if you are limited to trains, why not get a train to Dunstable and then ride The Chilterns to Goring, and get a train back.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Full day pass issued by wife… what to do??’ is closed to new replies.