Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Full Cost Of Bike As Deposit? (Cycle Scheme Content)
  • barca
    Free Member

My bike is at the shop waiting to be introduced to me and me to it but the voucher from Cycle Scheme may or may not arrive before Easter. I ordered the bike in Feb and requested my voucher the same day.
    The shop (which is a very good shop) have chucked an email over to confirm that the bike is ready for collection and I’ve replied suggesting that as they’ve had the bike sat in the shop for a while (and have some capital tied up in it I expect) for at least a few weeks and my voucher could arrive anytime within the next three weeks, how would it be if I pay for the bike in full with cash (£899:00), take it away and then go back with the voucher when it arrives and give it to them and I get my cash refunded (or debit card) but they don’t seem at all keen on this.
    Anybody hazard a guess why? It doesn’t really matter to me other than I’m chomping at the bit to get my new bike and I thought they’d appreciate the space if not the cash.
    Just for clarity, it’s a really nice bike shop with very friendly staff.

trail_rat
    Free Member

cannot see a logical reason , we have in the past done this for customers !

Gary_M
    Free Member

eh £900 going through the till thats then unaccounted for with the taxman maybe. Might look like they’re doing something dodgy even though they’re not.

bikeshak
    Free Member

how would it be if I pay for the bike in full with cash (£899:00), take it away and then go back with the voucher when it arrives and give it to them and I get my cash refunded (or debit card)

Seems perfectly reasonable to me, we’re happy to do that for our cyclescheme customers.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

if they’re so nice, why not ask them?

AlasdairMc

Money laundering paranoia perhaps?

You mention paying cash then returning funds via debit card, which immediately turns your ill-gotten cash into a legitimate credit into your bank account.

I work in a bank, hence my mind works in that way…

EDIT – alternatively they may just want to report the income in a particular month.

al

barca
    Free Member

I’d rather ask on here and get your ever so welcome replies Simon. I’m hoping (if I dare) for some quotes in italics?
    OR it could be that I don’t want to pressure them into explaining their reluctance because that may make them (and me) a little uncomfortable?
    I hadn’t thought about the tax or money laundering implications. Interesting replies though (apart from yours Simon, obviously). Thanks.

miketually
    Free Member

Why is your voucher taking so long to arrive?

I filled in the form online, and it was approved by work the next day. The invoice from cyclescheme arrived in the following post, which was paid by BACS and I had the voucher in my mitts three days later. Quote to voucher was something like a week.

Looks like your employer is being a bit crap at processing stuff.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

because that may make them (and me) a little uncomfortable?

so what ? They will be the ones with the answer, everyone else will just be guessing. Perhaps they think that you are a drug baron ?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Looks like your employer is being a bit crap at processing stuff.

Not as crap as mine, they won’t even take part in the cyclescheme.

barca
    Free Member

Local council Mike. The scheme was open from Feb 13th to March 12th. Then they waited a week for everybody’s requests to be collated, then they sent the forms out and waited until they got them all back and posted them off to Cycle Scheme at some point this week.

miketually
    Free Member

Ah, ours is open all year round and processed as and when people put in requests. Only ~150 employees here though, so maybe it’s easier for us?

barca
    Free Member

Ha! I’ve just got an email from the bike shop! I can pick it up on Saturday with cash and go back at a later date with the voucher. It’s like being 6 years old on Christmas Eve 🙂

duckman

Trail-rat; Angus council are FINALLY coming into Cyclescheme. It was supposed to be This month, but will now be May/June, better get some new spanners! We have a group at various places throught the council that try to get people to email the poor person in charge of bringing it in to get a move on. That is 6000 new bikes in theory…

barca
    Free Member

Oh how very rude of me, I forgot to post a picture of it. Please accept my apologies and allow me to do it now for your visual pleasure:

I’ll have to take that sofa like saddle off though. I can’t rest myself on that fat thing!

trail_rat
    Free Member

sounds good duckman. Lucky im back now then eh !

miketually
    Free Member

Looks like it’ll be rather lighter than the bike I’m getting 🙂

PapaWheelie
    Free Member

Beautiful bike . . . but where’s the rear suspension?

barca
    Free Member

What are you getting Mike?
    My voucher isn’t big enough for rear suspension as well Papa

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

ive just spoken to cyclescheme and angus council (in scotchland) are now signed up with this great bike selling scheme! get em whilst theyre hot!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Full Cost Of Bike As Deposit? (Cycle Scheme Content)’ is closed to new replies.