Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Fulcrum Red Metal 5 wheels – any good?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Must be some users on here, and I’m sure most people are aware of the bargain on-one deal at the moment, so any users, any issues, are they a good wheelset, look to be a good weight and value for £99.

nickc

Dunno, never heard anything bad about them, but then never heard anything good either. I’d imagine you’d probably have to whack some grease in the bearings before you used them, less spokes can make trueing a bit of a PITA. they’re pretty hefty for standard QR wheels with 24 spokes, but at that price, probably worth a punt.

warpcow
    Free Member

Yes, they’re excellent. Lighter, more POE and, IMO, stronger than Mavic Crossrides. For that price I doubt you’d find anything better. Never had any problems with the bearings myself. I’ve had mine for over 9 months now, about 2000km, and the bearings looked fine when I had a little look a couple of weeks ago (after the bike had taken an unexpected swim). Still, that’ll be the kiss of death for them now 🙄

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Er … ‘more POE’ ??

Might take a punt at that price, take my nice wheels off and use these over the next few months.

QuadXC
    Free Member

Very good wheelset, Think i got them on “warpcow” recommendation i while back.
    Very strong, went to quantocks about a month ago, had a pinch puncture then 2seconds after realising the tyre was flat smacked a very large rock.
    Put a big dent in the rim but was able to straighten that out when i got home and the wheel isn`t even buckle 😀
    Had no problems with the bearings, although the skewers that come with the wheels are heavy, so replace them. That`s the only bad point i can think of…

warpcow
    Free Member

POE = Points Of Engagement in the freehub: 36 in Fulcrum wheels (Hope have 32 IIRC). The Skewers are definitely rubbish, I could never get them to feel like they were tight enough.

simonb512
    Free Member

I have the Red Metal 3’s and they have been excellent (almost).

I do have one minor rant in that I have a choice of play in the freehub or not being able to freewheel. But I think I had a dodgy pair.

Never really came untrue and I abuse my wheels. I havent tried them tubeless yet but I’ve had pretty much no problems with them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Fulcrum Red Metal 5 wheels – any good?’ is closed to new replies.