Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Fulcrum Red Metal 1 wheels
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Reviews seem good and on-one have some on offer for £299? Wanted an all round wheelset for XC use ?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I had the 3’s and they were ace, light, taught and take the knocks.

i’d say that’s a bargain!

anc
    Free Member

Got the HH zero’s from on-one, initial impressions are good, very stiff well build wheels and freehub is way better than mavic’s on my ST’s.

foxyrider
    Free Member

hmm 🙂 Need to spend my Transwales money and birthday money on sommink 🙂

My only concern is fully tubeless setup – how easy is it to change spokes/nipples?

boxelder

HH zero’s half price too

kevin1911

I can’t seem to fathom from the blurb if they can be adapted for the different axle standards? Anyone know?

foxyrider
    Free Member
    foxyrider
    Free Member

Well I just fell for the on-one margin email 😳

kevin1911

There seem to be lots of good deals** on wheels at the moment.

This mornings email for the £220 deal for the Superstar Evo hubs on Stans Crest Rims deal very nearly had me getting the credit card out.

Just about resisting both deals at the moment.

** by todays standards – never thought I’d consider £200-300 for a set of bike wheels to be a good deal.

anc
    Free Member

I’d double check they are adaptable between 15mm and QR. Fulcrum have only recently modified their hubs to do this. My HH zeros are 15mm only and preceed the zero XRP which is the current model which can be adapted.

jon_on-one
    Free Member

The Red Metal 1’s are 9mm QR only. It can be a wee bit confusing as Fulcrum use a 20mm diametre hub- not necessarily a through axle one though… If you need Maxle, you better go for the Zero HH’s.

kevin1911

But the Zero HH’s are centre-lock rotors only, yes?

anc
    Free Member

No, 6 bolt IS on mine.

kevin1911

It’s a bit confusing. The pics show 6-bolt, but the blurb on the website says:

“AFS is fully compatible with Shimano Centrelock disc rotor system.”

anc
    Free Member

Think that’s a bit of a copy and paste error, buying options only list 6-bolt. So I guess fulcrum do both but on-one only have the 6 bolt in stock.

foxyrider
    Free Member

http://www.fulcrumwheels.com/jspfulcrum/techlab.jsp?techid=8&lang=en&world=offroad

There seems to be a lockring version and an IS 6 bolt version.

The 2011 website says adaptable to 15mm – I’m not bothered as they are an XC wheelset for me anyway.

The Fulcrum 2011 range includes the standard modification kit with quick release and 15mm thru axle for the front wheel of Red Metal 0, Red Metal 1, Red Metal 3 wheels and the 2 versions of Red Zone.
    A clever solution that will allow you to use the Fulcrum wheels on bikes with front forks with traditional release or thru axle.

I guess as usual these are OEM so don’t come with the Full Retail 15mm adapter kit? So I guess you could get a Fulcrum aftermarket 15mm kit?

anc
    Free Member

Have they got a adapter ring system like shimanos?

No. Piccy here

Edit: Ha, you answered your own question. 😆

foxyrider
    Free Member

see my edit above – comes in 2 flavors 🙂

jon_on-one
    Free Member

The Red Metal Zero HH’s are 6-bolt too. There is a mention of AFS in the product description- I’ll remove it.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Blimey Jon – Despatched already >?!

jon_on-one
    Free Member

Could well be. See, not all the bad stuff they say about On-One is true after all 😉

kevin1911

My resistance has crumbled. Gone for Hope Pro 2 Evo’s on Stans Crest from Wiggle. £260 all in, not bad at all!! Even less once Quidco tracks

foxyrider
    Free Member

The only issue I can see is now sourcing spare spokes individually as a pack of 8 are £50 – oops – [remembers not to break any spokes] !

Edit: http://www.behindthebikeshed.co.uk/ £7 each – just ordered a spare set 🙂

kevin1911

£7 PER SPOKE? Holy Moly!! Just as well there’s only a few of them!

foxyrider
    Free Member

yup – can’t see why the wheel set is being sold of cheap 😉 £7 inc nipple is better than buying packets of 8 for £50 each (£100 per wheel set!)

I have only ever broke 2 spokes on a old road set so the spare spokes are “just in case” !

My second choice was the ProII evo’s on crests but wanted the fully tubless rims – glad I got the repair kit with the spoke tools and magnet – seems straight forward on the you tube instructions 🙂 At least the hubs are very easy to service and the bearings are sealed 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Fulcrum Red Metal 1 wheels’ is closed to new replies.