Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Fulcrum racing 5 wheels question
  • blader1611
    Free Member

I have a pair of these on the road bike and i believe they are the versions which have cup n cone bearings. I noticed a while a go that i can flex the wheel with little effort and touch the brake blocks which are set about 1-2 mm from wheel. Is this normal or is the movement coming from bearings that are not quite nipped up as it kinda feels like that. The front wheel feels far stiffer which makes me think it might be bearings.
    The wheels are newish and have only done 300 max but i forgot to check trueness and bearings when i got them so it could have been like this from the start.

ade9933
    Free Member

Not much help but I think I have the 6.1 (or something OEM on bike) but they have been fine. Not ‘tried’ to flex them but they have behaved well.

monkfish
    Free Member

If they are the same as Zondas (fulcrum 3) then it’s a case of loosening off the 2.5mm Allen screw, tighten the top cap (easiest way is to tighten with Allen key in screw head) re tighten screw.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’ve got Racing 5’s on mine & they’re sealed cartridge bearings (although believe there are cup & cone OEM versions out there) , but have the preload cap.
    They’re not very stiff at all though, so that amount of flex is quite normal, but shouldn’t be able to make them touch the pads unless you’re sprinting really hard & the frame’s a bit flexy.

eshershore
    Free Member

They are known to be quite flexible laterally, and I found my aftermarket Racing 5’s would rub the back brake on my Tarmac SL4 whilst climbing out of the saddle

Otherwise a decent wheelset for the price with good rolling speed

stevious

I could do that with my Racing 3’s and I’m no powerhouse. Can you move the wheel by hand when it’s in the frame? If so then you’ll need to tighten them – pretty easy to do if it’s the preload cap/allen key type.

blader1611
    Free Member

Stevious – thats exactly what i mean, by hand with very little effort and i can move the wheel side to side. Are there any instructions about for tightening them? I think mine are 2015 versions which i thought came with cup n cone?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I had 2015’s too on last year’s race bike for training wheels & they were cartridge bearings too-only the rim graphics have changed from what I can tell.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Fulcrum racing 5 wheels question’ is closed to new replies.