Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Fuerteventura mtb hire – any advice?
  • twonks

The wife and I are heading off to Jandia for 2 weeks very soon (Wednesday 🙂 ), and want to get some cycling in whilst we are there.

Have found a hire place around 20 minutes walk from the hotel but wondered if anybody has been and can advise alternatives, or a friend of a friend that runs a bike hire place etc.

Not got a car and don’t fancy guided tours, just a couple of decent mtb’s and a map for probably a few days.

bruneep

where are you staying? we were there 2 weeks ago.

The only place I saw was dealing in BSO’s. The area around Jandia is pretty bleak and barren just volcanic rock very little vegetation and it was bastidin hot away from the sea breeze.

LMT
    Free Member

I’m heading there next year, was planning on hiring or taking my road bike. Mountain biking in the canaries isn’t fun unless your over in Tenerife.

twonks

Cheers. Maybe a rethink then. Then good lady will be happy with Road bikes as she is more into road riding.

I fancied a fat bike to pootle over rocks etc.

http://www.volcano-bike.com/en

That’s what we’ve found and it’s 15 minutes walk from our hotel.

bullheart
    Free Member

Just got back from Lanzarote and rode with EMotion fat bikes. Hard graft on the volcanic ground, but worth it. I believe it’s supposed to be the toughest of the official Spanish national cycle routes.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I was in Maro Jable a few years ago. I had planned to take the road bike with me but it got stolen a week before the trip so I took my SS mtb with me instead. The whole area is very barren but I just followed the dirt track road to the end of the island a few times as well as heading across the other side of the island also on dirt tracks. Wasn’t particularly exciting but the one time I tried to head into the mountains I found that the volcanic rock is razor sharp and not a place where you’d want to crash. I would also recommend hiring a road bike if at all possible.

harvey
    Free Member

“I’m heading there next year, was planning on hiring or taking my road bike. Mountain biking in the canaries isn’t fun unless your over in Tenerife.”

not so, Gran Canaria is class. went there last year to maspalomas. hired bikes and joined two tours with Free Motion. good fresh bikes and great routes up in the mountains. thoroughly recommend them

( sorry not much use to the OP )

LMT
    Free Member

Oops I meant Gran Canaria lol I rode an uplift there a few years back was an awesome days riding, I tend to winter hol in lanzarote and road biking is great, went to jandia a good few years back and gave up on the mountain bike, road biking was crazy fun!

bob_summers

Try and get to Cofete and Villa Winter if you can. Astounding beach and a slice of Nazi history on the side. Dirt road access, doable by bike (admittedly I did it by hired kangoo)

andyv
    Free Member

I hired a Scott scale from here:

http://lifecyclesfuerteventura.com

Well maintained bike and excellent friendly service.

I downloaded a free route from the viewranger app that made a nice north tour along the coast and up and between a few old volcanos. Mostly gravel tracks and nothing technical. Though I was able to push up to a summit or two and also found a couple of off route wadis to ride down for a little more fun.

http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/ODM2Nw== Via @ViewRanger

twonks

Thanks all. Lifecycles looks great but at completely the wrong end of the island 😆

Will look a bit more tomorrow.

twonks

Hi again.

Back at home after 2 nice weeks.

People above were indeed correct. The whole of the island (virtually) is like a large dusty sharp rock.

We went for a few walks into the hills and the wife went on a holiday run mtb ride (included in the holiday). It was only supposed to be a level 2 out of 4 and she struggled up the second road hill so called it a day and met them on the way back round. It was only our second day there and was hot so not too suprised as she is usually a bit of a whippet.

I didn’t bother as the terrain looked boring and looked to invite high speeds to have fun off road, which would likely result in a very nasty accident.

Took to swimming instead and have come away with a painful ear infection for my sins.

Think we’ll just stick to blightly and go into the Scottish highlands next year with bikes for a holiday 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Fuerteventura mtb hire – any advice?’ is closed to new replies.