Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Fueling shortish rides.. when/what is best to eat??
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Typically a 20-25 mile ride with about 2000ft climbing..
    I havent quite got enough energy to see me through if its a higher tempo ride.
    Is it best to eat just before, during or just eat jelly babies etc when i feel im running out? Typically i eat 1hr before (normally breakfast of 3 weetabix).

wilburt
    Free Member

On the road you should be ok without anything, off road that’s maybe 2 hours I would be working towards no food but maybe a banana, flapjack, malt loaf or gel half way should be ample

mikewsmith
    Free Member

road or mountain? (is it time for a road section on the forum?)

scotroutes

I wouldn’t normally bother eating with something of that distance/duration.

JoB
    Free Member

eat at least an hour before, maybe add fruit like a banana to the Weetabix, you shouldn’t need anything during

cloudnine
    Free Member

Road rides..
    Its just about the limit of my range of starting to run out of energy.
    Just curious when is condsidered best to eat??

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

off road that’s maybe 2 hours

Pleased I don’t ride with you then, I’d be ****! (well I would be in Swaledale anyway)

FWIW when I do ride in the Dales I rarely take food, just drink (Gin usually) 😉 My mate however takes loads. I can manage on my lard that I carry all the time. Even on BIG days out I take food but rarely feel the need to eat. Till after, then I can & have, eaten a whole cow. (not really but you know what I mean)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

before you run out, I normally manage about 80km before issues but I know I need to eat sooner (also post ROADIE QUESTION as it really is different to riding 25 miles on a mountain bike)

So classic answer eat before you need to

Rorschach
    Free Member

20-25 miles?So 60-90 minutes.
    Should’nt need anything during if you eaten properly before hand.
    I used to commute that each way to work.3 weetabix for breakfast and soup for lunch.

wilburt
    Free Member

I suppose were all different but that distance of the road you should be ok without food. If your slim and fit it shouldn’t be too much over an hour so you won’t need anything and if your a lardy(like me) and not too quick it may take longer but by not eating you’ll be burning fat.

Just take a drink you’ll be fine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Fueling shortish rides.. when/what is best to eat??’ is closed to new replies.