Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)
  • fuel prices…..
  • mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

Oh OK your opinion then.

Coke in the petrol station was 2 x 500ml for £2, and petrol was 1 litre for £1.40ish. So petrol is cheaper litre v’s litre from the same shop

Petrol did take significantly more effort to make than coke, so there is a comparison. I don’t however drink 150litres of coke a week, so I can live with the cost of Coke.

Petrol is getting harder and harder to extract so the cost will keep rising as a base price, but the tax is getting stupid. As others have said driving is a just something we have to do, not an option so we’re stuck with it. Demand is high so prices remain high – both in tax as they know we have no choice, and as a base price supply/demand will always be king – they charge what we will pay, and we keep paying.

Qatar get it cheap as it’s at source and is subsidised by the goverment, same as manyu countries in the same region.

Driving is still just about the cheapest way around for me though despite 1kmiles a week, if I did that on a train the cost would be much much more and I’d still need cabs each end.

sbob
    Free Member

mudshark – Member

it’s not just tax

Just the majority.

sbob
    Free Member

molgrips – Member

The government needs tax though, it’s got to come from somewhere.

Absolutely, but I believe it needs less. There is so much money wasted across the board. Just look at the people responsible for retrieving the revenue; HMRC. What is it? 49p in every £ collected gone in the collection of it.
    That seems a bit shit to me. 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Edukator
    Free Member

Fuel is far too cheap, hundreds or maybe thousands of cars go past my house everyday and only a tens of bicycles.

I’ll vote for £6/l. Smaller cars driven slower can’t be a bad thing.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

High fuel prices increase the cost of everything and stifle the growth of an economy.
    Actually the opposite is true.

I think high fuel prices, which reduce people’s disposable income, and therefore spend less in other areas of the economy, have more of a negative affect than a truck, theoretically getting to its destination 5 mins earlier because of less traffic on the road.

cozz
    Free Member

yeah £6/l thats really stupid

you realise how much its already crippling small businesses do you

I run a transit van for work and it costs me about £7000 + a year in diesel

sbob
    Free Member

Edukator – Member

Fuel is far too cheap, hundreds or maybe thousands of cars go past my house everyday and only a tens of bicycles.

I’ll vote for £6/l. Smaller cars driven slower can’t be a bad thing.

Obviously a troll post, but fuel at that price would put me out of work, and I don’t have that big a commute.
    Oh, and drive a Nissan Micra.
    Have a think about that between your bouts of bitter jealousy at the car drivers who pass your poorly situated house each day.
    😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

sbob – Member

Obviously a troll post,

Mr E may be a little ‘thought provoking’ at times, but ‘troll’ is probably a bit strong…

i’ve just ridden home from work, and right now i’d also vote for £6/l if it would slow some of the murderous bastards down a little bit.

(i’ll be grumbling about the price at the pump tomorrow though as i’ve got fill up the gas-guzzler…)

Edukator
    Free Member

People make choices. If fuel is more expensive they will choose:

– to live closer to work

– to use public transport

– to change their business model (the market price for services will adapt so the impact on small businesses will be negligible – every plumber will have higher cost so the market price for plumbers will increase. Given that most plumbing expenditure in non-discretiionary spending the consumer will suck it up and spend less on jet fuel for that non-discretionary holiday).

No I’m not trolling, I really believe fuel is too cheap. As poof I’m not connected to mains gas, produce a lot more electricity than I consume, use public transport and my bike much more than my motor vehicles, and would happily pay four times the current price for petrol.

aracer
    Free Member

“The government needs tax though, it’s got to come from somewhere.”

Absolutely, but I believe it needs less.

Ah, so I’m mistaken in thinking we have a deficit – it’s actually a surplus?

aracer
    Free Member

Obviously a troll post, but fuel at that price would put me out of work, and I don’t have that big a commute.
    Oh, and drive a Nissan Micra.
    Have a think about that between your bouts of bitter jealousy at the car drivers who pass your poorly situated house each day.

Can I just check who exactly it is has a poorly situated house? I’m not sure anybody is jealous of people stuck in a car on a commute.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Too many folk move miles from work to get cheap housing.

I paid a little more in the long term knowledge that staying closer to the city meant long term i saves money by not being forced to run a car.

My colleague bought another 10 miles out (25 miles from the office) as in his words ” i got a bigger house than you for the same price”

Whos the dummy ?

Sadly thats the thought process that goes through folks heads.

People like the convienance of cars and would probably bury them selves in debt than give it up if fuel prices rose.

Edukator
    Free Member

Madame walks to work in eleven minutes, my son has walked to every school and may even walk to university. My “poorly placed house” is in the most desirable part of town with the highest average household income, the highest price per m2, and within walking distance of every serivce you could wish for, and all that for a very good reason; location, location, location.

Edit: I nearly forgot to mention that the bus for the ski resort is an easy walk away even with ski boots and a couple of pairs of skis.

sbob
    Free Member

aracer – Member

Can I just check who exactly it is has a poorly situated house? I’m not sure anybody is jealous of people stuck in a car on a commute.

The guy who has thousands of cars passing his door.
    I don’t get stuck on my commute.

sbob
    Free Member

Edukator – Member

People make choices. If fuel is more expensive they will choose:

– to live closer to work

– to use public transport

As someone who obviously has far too much money to have any understanding of what it is like for people on a low income, let me point out to you that not everyone can live closer to work, not everyone can use public transport to get to their place of work, and there is not an abundance of work to choose from at the moment.

I sincerely hope that helps you understand.

Edukator
    Free Member

I haven’t counted the cars but traffic isn’t an issue. A thousand cars is about one a minute during the active day. One car while tying this. Triple glazing means I have to listen for them.

Edit: I’ve no doubt been through periods poorer than you, I didn’t use any fuel at all then.

aracer
    Free Member

The guy who has thousands of cars passing his door.

Oh – not the person who couldn’t afford to drive to work because he lives too far away then?

sbob
    Free Member

I was joking about your house being poorly situated, and being jealous, just incase you thought I was serious. Your view is so frankly silly and unrealistic though, that I thought the humour was fitting.
    🙂

sbob
    Free Member

aracer – Member

Oh – not the person who couldn’t afford to drive to work because he lives too far away then?

I used to work 200yds away.
    Unfortunately, I no longer have that job and took what was available.
    I can’t afford to move closer.
    Tough times, but I do what I can to ensure I’m not a burden on others.
    🙂

sbob
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

I paid a little more in the long term knowledge that staying closer to the city meant long term i saves money by not being forced to run a car.

My colleague bought another 10 miles out (25 miles from the office) as in his words ” i got a bigger house than you for the same price”

Whos the dummy?

Some people made that choice before the fuel price escalator was introduced, unfortunately.

Edukator
    Free Member

Why unrealistic? I’ve biked a hilly 33km to work with the business suit in a bag (but only when train times didn’t fit), lived in my business premises and generally found solutions that didn’t involve regular use of a vehicle.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

Are fuel prices the issue or is it our desire/need to make money versus quality of life style?
    I work in Lowestoft. I used to live in Norwich (a fine city) but then I spent an hour each way driving to work. Now I live in Lowestoft (a bit of a dump) but spend 20 minutes biking to work along the sea front. I get home at 6 and have a family dinner rather than 7 and miss it all.

I suppose the point I’m rambling towards (after a bottle of wine) is that most of us could probably choose to live closer to work. We just have to choose where we want to live. And not where we want to work.

molgrips
    Free Member

So let’s say I lost my job. I’d need to find another one quickly. I’d have to take the first one that came up, even if it was in a different city. I can’t afford to move. It’s not always possible.

Our jobs are not stable and secure these days. Moving house is very expensive and not always possible.

bruneep

friend from Doha told me yesterday it cost her approx £7 to fill her CRV with petrol approx 0.10p ltr. I just filled mine today the cost £66.00.

Sandwich

MrsBouys Parents who live in rural locations and have to go shopping etc.

We are seeing the results of the “me first” mentality coming home to roost. All those people who in the rural areas that shopped at the big supermarket because it was cheap and caused their local shops to close down will live to regret it, or will bugger off to the towns again leaving the rural poor to their fate. I think I’ll open a shop in a rural location in about 10 years and make a comfortable if hard working living.

RichPenny
    Free Member

It’s not always possible Molgrips. What though, if you were offered 2 jobs? One close and one far away? Is it so terrible that your choice between the two might be influenced by the cost of commuting.

retro83
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member

Whos the dummy?

Let’s say his car costs 15p fuel+5p other per mile to run, it’s £3.50 extra a day to drive from his area instead of yours. Guessing the difference in equivalent house price was at least 10k to make it significant enough to talk about. That’s not far off 10 years commuting at current prices!

Not knocking you, because I think you’ve done the right thing personally, but on driving costs alone that distance is not significant.

Edukator
    Free Member

I know several people that has happened to, Molgrips. They have found a cheap room to rent for four night a week (though usually only two or three as they’ve agreed to a degree of home working or regrouping their hours over three or four days).

sbob
    Free Member

Edukator – Member

Why unrealistic? I’ve biked a hilly 33km to work with the business suit in a bag (but only when train times didn’t fit), lived in my business premises and generally found solutions that didn’t involve regular use of a vehicle.

You had your own business.
    Congratulations.
    Not everyone is fortunate enough to be in that position, and not evryone has shower facilities at work.
    If I turned up to work soaking wet on my bike, I’d be sacked. 💡

aracer
    Free Member

So let’s say I lost my job. I’d need to find another one quickly. I’d have to take the first one that came up, even if it was in a different city. I can’t afford to move. It’s not always possible.

Say you didn’t have a car, would you then choose to take a job in a different city? How about if fuel was £6 a litre?

Is everybody really missing the point that we’re talking about a paradigm shift here?

Pieface

The cost of fuel barely makes up for all the bad things about living in Qatar

Edukator
    Free Member

Anyone can start their own business. I was fortunate enough to be unemployed and so in need of employment I had to start my own business.

sbob
    Free Member

Edukator – Member

Anyone can start their own business.

😆

I helped a little old lady get another job (cleaning) recently after being layed off.
    She was in tears.
    She wouldn’t have a **** clue where to start.
    Your attitude is ridiculous and offensive, and I am not easily offended.

sbob
    Free Member

Edukator – Member

I was fortunate enough to be unemployed and so in need of employment I had to start my own business.

You were fortunate in obviously not being in the situation of living from hand to mouth.
    Many are. 💡

Edukator
    Free Member

Your attitude is ridiculous and offensive, and I am not easily offended.

You cannot be serious.

sbob
    Free Member

Edukator – Member

You cannot be serious.

You cannot be serious.
    Let’s make fuel more expensive!
    Really hit the poor!
    Yay!

Edukator
    Free Member

Really hit the polluter.

Junkyard
    Free Member

if we do it we need to substantially improve the public transport system as not all of us can commute to work by bike or always by public transport.
    I try to but a number of places i work at costs me x 3 of the fuel and takes x3 as long each way- 2 hour commute with 3 train changes and a walk at either end.
    Two of them i pretty much cannot reach on public transport without using bus then a train then a bus again so I cannot get there for the correct start time.
    Given all the crap I need to carry it is not feasible to cycle and there are no showers when I get there

I am happy to adapt to reduce car usage and increased costs for fuel but they would need to massively change transport or else I would be in trouble. I could change jobs ….but it would require a job to be there or nearer home- even factoring in the wage cut i could take by fuel savings there are still no jobs in what I do.

Edukator we cannot all set up our own business and retire at 40 – I suspect we all wish we could. if we could we could end poverty and unemployment tomorrow

trail_rat
    Free Member

the houses were similar prices – his is bigger . if i wanted his house here id be about 30 grand extra

how ever im within bike commuting distance of almost all the industrial centres of my industry in this city.

his house has good driving access to 1 and if he wanted access to the others he would be sat in traffic for an extra hour every day.

my math also factored in the fact i do not need to run a reliable- natch expensive car as i do not rely on it at all for work.

i reckoned the payback to be near 10 years on my figures IF i bought 1 near new car and ran it for those 10 years….. im early in my career and plan to stay here for a number of years or at least rent it out if i go to work abroad hence location location location……

then theres the lifestyle – commuting 25 miles here can take an hour easily on a good day. riding my bike 15 miles takes 1 hour – with the added bonus of not going to the gym later.

my point also being that while its not unaffordable NOW things are heading such that they may well be in the future. while im not as extreme in my view as edukator i do believe people could minimise their exposure to fuel prices by not striving for that bigger house but infact choosing to fit their needs. To much status comes from your house imo. I regularly get stick for buying an ex council house (albe it 1 of only 8 houses in the middle of the countryside in an area designated a wild life preserve for red kites ) and i realise this isnt everyone but its a significant proportion of the folk ive met.

Edukator
    Free Member

42. I found an all-over wash possible in any toilets with a hand basin and toilet cubicle. That’s every company I ever visited. People have bed baths for years in hospitals.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 90 total)

The topic ‘fuel prices…..’ is closed to new replies.