Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Fuel panic in the North!
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

D’oh!

😉

jon1973
    Free Member

ooops

interesting statistic in there;

The airport uses about three million litres of aviation fuel a day

😯

Wonder how much LHR would use.

hora
    Free Member

I know I 😮 when I saw that. My work colleague is gren yet flies off long haul on holidays. I guess some people dont ‘feel’ it unless they are filling up or directly doing the act.

jon1973
    Free Member

Anyone who flies on lang haul flights on holiday is not green by any stretch of the imagination. On a ten hour flight it equates to about 300 ltrs per person.

samuri
    Free Member

how much fuel would they use if they drove it?

jon1973
    Free Member

how much fuel would they use if they drove it?

You don’t HAVE to go to distant lands on holiday. I don’t really have a problem with it, just with people who do it while claiming to be ‘green’.

samuri
    Free Member

So if the plane is doing 550 mph, it covers 5500 miles
    If you’re in your car and you drove 5500 miles at 50mpg that’s 13.2 miles per litre. 5500/13.2 = 416 litres.

but I suppose if you took two other passengers in your car plus an air hostess it’d work out way more efficient in the car.

samuri
    Free Member

I was genuinally interested, I’m not trying to pull you up.

crazy-legs

On a ten hour flight it equates to about 300 ltrs per person.

So? The plane is still going to be making the journey whether you’re on it or not.
    300l of fuel is 5 full tanks in my car – given that a 10hr flight can cross a third of the globe (London – Calcutta or London – Denver or London – Johannesburg) that’s pretty efficient considering that a car doing 47mpg (6l per 100km) will only get 5000km (3100 miles) on 300l.

jon1973
    Free Member

I was genuinally interested, I’m not trying to pull you up.

Fair enough, I think planes are pretty efficent as a cost per mile per passenger.

but I suppose if you took two other passengers in your car plus an air hostess

I think my wife might have something to say about that.

So? The plane is still going to be making the journey whether you’re on it or not.

But if fewer people flew long haul, then they wouldn’t fly so many planes. Like I said though, I don’t have a problem with people flying if they want to. I don’t fly because I don’t like it and find it far too much hassle, not becasue I’m particularly green.

globalti
    Free Member

The same thing happened in Lagos a few years ago except that the jet fuel got contaminated with sewage. There are bacteria that can grow in hydrocarbons and sludge grew and blocked the fuel systems on all four engines on a BA 747. BA had to send technicians out and repair the damage, which kept the ‘plane at Lagos for a few days. I bet BA weren’t happy about that.

binners

Erm… just hand on a minute! It says Manchester airport has run out of fuel. The you lot start woffling on about ‘litres’. Litres of what?

This is the north!!!!

😀

footflaps

More steam powered planes!

jon1973
    Free Member

surfer
    Free Member

but I suppose if you took two other passengers in your car plus an air hostess

I think my wife might have something to say about that.

Why? Doesnt she allow you to take passengers in your car?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Is that figure of 300l per passenger just worked out by fuel usage/passenger number? As passenger aircraft generally have more than half of their hold taken up by commercial cargo, which obviously weighs a bit?!.

jon1973
    Free Member

Why? Doesnt she allow you to take passengers in your car?

Well, she does, but she may just raise an eyebrow if I were to take a air hostess along with us on holiday, though. Irrational, I know.

nealglover
    Free Member

The airport uses about three million litres of aviation fuel a day

I would reckon that’s about 40 litres per passenger.

Not too bad really ?

jon1973
    Free Member

Probably not bad per person, but it was just quite a shocking figure when you consider the daily conumption of one airport, and not a massive one at that.

So, yes, 40ltr per person per day, isn’t bad, but 3 million ltrs a day, certainly isn’t good.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

According to the Daily Telegraph :

“Supplies were stopped in the early hours of this morning due to quality issues with fuel from the Essar refinery at Stanlow, near Ellesmere Port.”

So another example of private sector incompetence unable to provide a quality product then.

If disruption had been caused by an industrial dispute or the failings of the public sector, Tory politicians would have enthusiastically given interviews denouncing it as unacceptable. But because the responsibility lies with a private company and its management, shoulders are merely shrugged “it’s just one of those things” and it gets very little prominent news coverage.

It’s almost as if double standards apply.

nealglover
    Free Member

Thirteen flights were delayed.
    all except one for less than half an hour.

It’s almost as if double standards apply.

It’s almost as if the politicians have faaaaaaar more important things to get involved in I would say.

Junkyard
    Free Member

you mean you dont expect the CPT to have the same level of attack for the pri9vate sector when they F op as he does for the public sector

Its like the man has an agenda or something 😯

Next you will be telling me he wont post an opinion on Baroness Warsai [ tory deputy chair] and her ever growing list of breaches of the ministerial code and expenses claim

Probably cant get the news on his app from Bermuda

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You take the interwebz waaay too seriously, Junky. 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It’s almost as if the politicians have faaaaaaar more important things to get involved in I would say.

Like whipping up public panic over non-existing fuel tanker driver strikes ?

Good point, which I missed – thanks.

konabunny
    Free Member

The plane is still going to be making the journey whether you’re on it or not.

facepalm

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don’t know why you’re slapping your face konabunny, it’s true. I have actually witnessed a plane take off without me on it. It was a gut wrenching sight, I can tell you. And the bastards would only have needed to wait another 15 minutes or so.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Driving, even with an ‘air hostess’ – i’m not convinced – i mean, joining the ’70mph on the M62′ club just does not have quite the same cachet as joining the Mile High club….

hopkinsgm

Based on recent experience, I’d think the ’70mph on the M62′ club probably has a much smaller membership…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Fuel panic in the North!’ is closed to new replies.