Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Fuel ex question
  • hambl90
    Free Member

Hi guys I’m thinking about getting a fuel ex frame but I’m sure I read somewhere that trek use a fork with a unusual offset , would I be able to use a normal fork on it or would it spoil the handling/geometry in any way ?

Cheers

vinylspin
    Free Member

As long as you stay within pretty much the same travel it should be ok.
    I was thinking of replacing trek ex 8’s stock fox 32series drcv forks with revs rct3 but probably need to shorten it’s travel as 150mm would ruin the bike’s geometry.

chakaping
    Free Member

No, fork offset is normal.

hambl90
    Free Member

150mm revs is what I was going to put on it 🙁

chakaping
    Free Member

What year frame?

captainsideburns
    Free Member

Fuel ex has standard fork. It’s their 29ers that have larger offset fork.

vinylspin
    Free Member

someone correct me please, but I think if you put 150mm forks that will raise the front end and change the angle and the geometry of the frame(fuel ex normally comes with 120 or 130mm forks). however I have done it on other bikes like stumpjumper fsr or trek hardtail and never had any issues.

matther01
    Free Member

Running a 110/140 Talas on mine with no issues…but think 150mm maybe a step too far.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

ran mine with 120/150 talas without issue. In fact I really likes the way it slackened it…

hambl90
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies guys its a 2010 frame.
    M1llhouse , what’s it like in 150mm mode, my revs are dual position 120-150mm .

Cheers

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Isn’t it their G2 geometry that uses an unusual fork offset? i.e. the bikes that used to be under the Gary Fisher banner (Super fly, Rumble Fish etc)

LMT
    Free Member

Yey its the Fisher branded treks that have the offset, all the others are standard.

simonside
    Free Member

Why not just get a Remedy frame instead?

hambl90
    Free Member

Would love a remedy but can’t find one second hand in my price range .

chakaping
    Free Member

Well they work great at 120mm, so you could keep it at that length all the time if you didn’t like it at 150mm.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

hambl90 – Member

Thanks for the replies guys its a 2010 frame.
    M1llhouse , what’s it like in 150mm mode, my revs are dual position 120-150mm .

I really likes it. but rapidly came to the conclusion that i “needed” a bigger bike as it became a bit unbalanced (front was controlled lovely but rear became a bit wayward getting outside of it’s {my} comfort zone) so bought a 2013 spicy 516.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Fuel ex question’ is closed to new replies.