Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • FTE to IT Contractor – would you?
  • Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Hi Chaps,

I’m a full-time large-company employed Software Architect, I’ve the option to go work as a consultant where I would be living very close to Peebles (15 – 30 mins away).

It’s doing work as a Business Analyst, so less technical than what I do at the moment, and more focussed – as at the moment my role considers all aspects of development, from business architecture, testing, implementation, deployment, architecture, cost, value streams….

It’s also a decent amount more money.

I work a ten minute drive from home currently, and being a consultant that would mean to start with I’d be based an hours’ drive away, but would be moving within a few months to somewhere closer (it’s a long term contract to start with).

As a consultant, it would also mean possibly travelling all over the UK, rather than just being based at home.

I’m currently incredibly stressed with work, as I find it hard to be focussed enough on one aspect to feel I’m doing a really good job – even though I receive very high praise in the company.

As a de-motivating factor, I worked very hard last year, and implemented some very good ideas, for which my management team, and directors said that I should recieve a 10 out of 10 for my appraisal, meaning a decent bonus and pay rise. This was ‘moderated’ down by HR (people that don’t know me) to an 8, so I get less of a pay rise and bonus. The problem is, what’s the point of working hard when I get recognition from my peers – but no reward? I might as well work less hard.

I’m in the mind that a consultancy will treat it’s staff as an asset, rather than a workforce – so encourage development and progression, and recognise inspiration and innovation.

Anyone gone the same route here, and made the right choice?

Cheers

Butty

DaveRambo

Sounds like a no brainer.

I moved from a similar large consultancy to a very small one. Had an appropriate contracting job come along while I was seriously looking I would have taken it.

Leave on good terms and the worse that can happen is you go back.

bensales
    Free Member

I am you, but I work as a software/solution architect for a large consultancy.

You’re not an asset, you’re a resource to be used. All that you will be measured on will be billable hours. As a contractor you won’t care anyway, as all you’ll care about is billable hours as well.

And you will need to travel, no question.

Personally, I wouldn’t do my job as a contractor. Too uncertain. Yes, the money is better on the surface, but once you factor in pension, holiday, sick pay, training budget, etc, it’s not that far off a good permie salary.

Buttscratcher
    Free Member

Ah, what I meant is I’m a full time employee for a non-IT company, and the new job is for an IT consultancy.

I’m not looking to go contracting.

samuri
    Free Member

I was going to point out the problems with contracting but now you’ve clarified things, I’d say yes. It’s a very useful way of getting experience too and as above, it’s a relatively stress free life.

Downsides. Lots of travel, you end up losing half of your weekends to travel or getting all your stuff ready for travel. Staying in hotels loses it’s appeal very quickly. You miss out on riding if you want to do a lot. I used to take my bike to hotels but that’s a pain.

youngrob

Is the job in Peebles, as a Business Analyst?

Alex

Consultancies are pretty ruthless. If you’re on the bench (whether that’s because of you or the lack of work), it’ll be a pretty short term job. Billing is everything and you are definitely an asset to be sweated.

As Jon (Samuri) says you’ll get loads of experience in some major clients (assuming you’re going to work for a decent sized consultancy) and learn loads.

Having worked for a very big consultancy firm and seen how they treated people, I wouldn’t. But that might be a very prejudiced view!

DT78
    Free Member

Just been through this dilemma. I’ve chosen to say no to the consultancy. For me that will be far more stressful than a role with a company. As above, if your not billing you are out. Dealing with hr shit is just part of a perm job. I’d suggest if you find that stressful then consultancy (where you might find yourself unemployed even if you did a Stella job) is not for you

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘FTE to IT Contractor – would you?’ is closed to new replies.