Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • FSA headset – how to reduce stack height?
  • b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

I have just fitted a C-40 (no42) headset and my steerer is too short and I need to reduce the stack height. I have the 15mm cone spacer and didn’t realise they do a 9mm. Don’t spose anyone has the shallower 9mm laying around like the below:

Or maybe be prepared to swap and fit my 15mm and reduce a few spacers?

onandon
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You can run the stem directly onto the split upper race bit if you really want to, never tried it, but seen on some pro bikes.

Or
    slamthatstem.com

1-1/8" Headset Bearing Covers

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyl
    Free Member

You could buy the lifeline headset on wiggle and use the top cover which is a lot lower. Just got one for a Parkwood but the bottom bearing is slightly too big being 52mm dead. Just ordered the Edge one with the 51.8mm bearing and that is another option and would probably give you spare bearings as I think thats the same as the FSA you have but lower stack top cover.

Or just buy the 9mm, send back the 15mm with the unused bearings etc from the 15mm if you are still in the returns window for the 15mm.

barrykellett
    Free Member

Fitted one of these to my CAAD10 recently
    Long and Low

thepodge
    Free Member

10 to 18 quid for those covers! eek, I’m sure I could 3D print them for about 50p.

I have an FSA No.10 / 7B I’m not using I’ll try and find it and see if its any use to you.

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

Thepodge – that would be grand. The OD of the bottom of the cone is 46mm. Any height around 10mm would be great.

Thanks

Dibbs
    Free Member

I may be able to help, but I won’t be home from work till eight-ish

onandon
    Free Member

eBay ad.

I’ve purchased a few of these in the past to replace various headset spacers.
    I fitted one last week on an FSA so can confirm they work.

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

Dibbs – Ledge

On+On – Cheers for the heads up, look like they would work.

onandon
    Free Member

I thought I’d repent for taking the pee in the 1st post 🙂

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

0n+On – No drama……the file / saw is def the last resort !!

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got a 9mm carbon No42 FSA top cap if you want it.
    Just a bit confused by your email address in profile at the moment, should I type 4’s or a’s.

thepodge
    Free Member

Mine is a 15mm one, sorry

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

LEDGE !!! Its 4’s as in …..n4th4n

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ll drop it in the post in the morning.
    I knew it’d come in useful if I kept it long enough. 🙂

zacgillbanks
    Free Member

I’m also trying to reduce the stack height of my 15mm FSA headset top cap. I bought one of these, but it doesn’t fit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371184372364?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&var=640329695258&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&clk_rvr_id=1204961442991&afsrc=1&rmvSB=true

Has anyone tried any of the other options above and found that they work?

coatesy
    Free Member

I’ve skimmed the originals down in a lathe when we’ve been stuck, your local technical college, model engineering group, or diy fanatic may be happy to help out.

zacgillbanks
    Free Member

I thought of cutting down the top cap with a hacksaw and steerer tube cutting guide, but am not sure how to go about it as the top cap is slightly cone shaped

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘FSA headset – how to reduce stack height?’ is closed to new replies.