Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • FSA COMET Crank keeps falling off.
  • strawman
    Free Member

Left Crank arm on the Specialized Rockhopper I bought second hand after Christmas keeps working loose and eventually falls off whilst riding. Anyone had this problem before and worked out a cheap fix that doesn’t involve changing the whole set. It’s an FSA COMET crank set. There doesn’t appear to be much damage to the splined shaft, I have tightened the crank arm so you can pick bike up with it and it’s definite on. It just keeps working loose when riding.

philjunior
    Free Member

Buy a torque wrench, tighten to specified torque (this is pretty f*cking tight usually, to the point that you’ll struggle with an allen key).

Check it after the first couple of rides and keep checking it until it’s not torquing up any more after a ride.

wwaswas

Whenever this happened to me it was worn splines on the crank arm and precession causing the bolts to loosen.

Put loads of threadlock on and tighten to stupidly high torques is the last ‘it’s worth a try’ fix.

strawman
    Free Member

Cheers, I’ll have a go at that then. Thanks for quick response.

strawman
    Free Member

Wwasawas, thanks also. Off to purchase said items tomorrow.

BearBack
    Free Member

Once its happened, it’ll happen easier again.
    Degrease the splines.
    Set your preload
    Tighten the allen bolts (i start the sequence with the outboard bolt first)
    Once up to torque remove the preload bolt, load it with blue threadlock and reinstall back into the spindle and nip it down tighter than the original preload spec. As you have tighjtened the crank arm, adding more torqu to the preload bolt wont add any more preload to the BB. Careful though as it is only aluminium.
    If you’ve a bunch of bagginess between the splines, you can try a shot of red threadlock on the splines themselves.

avdave2

Count yourself lucky, if you’d bought the De Havilland Comet rather than the FSA one you’d be falling out of the sky.

strawman
    Free Member

Thanks folks. Some great advice on here. I’ll get on it tomorrow so I can get out in the afternoon.

strawman
    Free Member

I’d love a go in a de Havilland comet though.

strawman
    Free Member

Went out again, crank fell off again

jamesoz

You need a new crank arm, if you can’t get just the arm I believe chain reaction have the chain set and bb for £56.

strawman
    Free Member

That’s the reality jamesoz. I only get 50p a week spends though

strawman
    Free Member

That’s the reality jamesoz. I only get 50p a week spends though

strawman
    Free Member

Crank bolt is missing so I’ll get one this week, should sort it out.

wiggles
    Free Member

If you dont have any luck I have a Deore chainset going spare you can have for a few quid, have chainrngs as well just maybe not all the chainting bolts

strawman
    Free Member

Cheers Wiggles, I’ll keep that in mind if I still have an issue after fitting crank bolt. Very kind of you.

strawman
    Free Member

Hooray, bike fixed, normality is restored. Going out with little Strawman tomorrow. Have a great weekend y’all.

strawman
    Free Member

Went out yesterday, bike held out. Brilliant to be riding steep gnarly singletrack with confidence again. Was my sons first experience of mountain biking, which he loved. Will be back out soon.

wwaswas

🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘FSA COMET Crank keeps falling off.’ is closed to new replies.