Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • FS XC Frame only without winning the lottery?
  • dalesjoe
    Free Member

I was hoping someone could give some advice on a possible new build. I’m thinking of building up a short travel, light weight, 29er full sus bike for long all day XC rides. I would be looking to strip the HT (29er) and swap the gear over. While the HT is great, its just a bit uncomfortable once I start getting up to the 5-6 hr mark.

The problem I seem to be finding is the availability of frames without getting into silly money. For instance Specialized will only sell me an S-works frame, lower end frames are full build only. Santa Cruz Tallboy…CC version only. Same with Trek. Annoyingly it would seem if you live in Spain or the US they will happily sell you the “lower end” frames.

So, my first question is has anybody come across any frames that would suit what I’m after? Say bellow £2k. So far I’ve found the Transition Smuggler (very tempted) and Orange Gyro/segment (not sure about weight).

Secondly has anyone had any experience of buying bikes/frames abroad? Looking at the Spanish Santa Cruz website it would seem that not only is the availability far better (ie you can buy the lower grade carbon frames) but you’ll also save a vast amount by buying in Spain. Thinking a nice holiday/ bike buying trip might be an option but surely there must be a catch?

captain_bastard
    Free Member

Trek Top Fuel? You can get the alloy frame only from Trek (I know, because I got one)

I paid £1170 with LBS discount (think RRP is £1300)

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I did actually look at the Trek Top Fuel as an option as I’ve always liked Treks. However I can only seem to find the £2400 carbon frame for sale on their website. I wonder if these companies will sell the lower priced frames if asked then? Maybe they just don’t advertise them as such.

roverpig

Happy with my Smuggler, but as a left field (cheaper) option you could try B+ wheels/tyres with your 29er HT for a bit more comfort.

br
    Free Member

Buy a full bike and sell the parts you don’t want, probably be cheaper than you think?

amedias
    Free Member

Say bellow £2k

At that budget I’d be looking a full bike and strip and sell the bits I don’t want/need. Maybe even go over budget if needs be if you’ll recoup the difference.

Some great deals on 2014 and 2015 bikes out there if you look.

theocb
    Free Member

Carbon Specialized Epic frames going for £1400 / £1350 if you don’t mind an older model.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Great, thanks for that. Some great links there. Seems looking at the manufacturers websites is a bit misleading as to whats available!

The idea of buying a full build and stripping/selling off is an interesting one. I’ll certainly give that more thought.

RichT

There are a few Whyte M109 frames or complete bikes coming up second hand now. They are a good all day XC bike.
    This one of ebay unused £749 including fork and headset
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Whyte-M-109S-Medium-Frame-Fork-2014-/361479170313?hash=item5429d66909:g:grQAAOSwX~dWngBp

mashiehood
    Free Member

Have you looked at some Chinese options?

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Not looked at the chinese stuff no. I was looking at the SC Tallboy frame in aluminium for £1800. The fact that I could buy the carbon one for the same price from SC in spain annoyed me somewhat, seem aroud £400/500 cheaper frame only.

Not keen on the spec epic as needs to be able to run 120mm forks. Shame as I had an epic as a hire bike once, it was an amazing bike.

dickie
    Free Member

Dalby Bike Barn sold me a Turner Czar for £2200. The 1.1 version is now out replacing bushings with bearings – you might get a 1.0 at discount – email Silverfish & see what they can do.
    I bought my wife an ex-demo Niner Jet 9 from a US shop on ebay, came in about £900 after shipping & import.
    Not long after I’d built it up a Turner Czar came up on ebay UK for £1020 – as new.

Have a look at Bikescene Guisborough, they often have lots of frame deals.

What about a Canyon Lux – great value full builds, often frame deals too

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

If you could be persuaded onto sensible wheels, I have a 26″ Giant Anthem Advanced X thing that’s cluttering up my garage. It’s the full carbon frame, with full XT kit, including wheels. It’s as quick as any of the bikes you’ve listed and a lot of fun to ride, will be a lot cheaper too! Message me if you’re at all interested.

Northwind

There were some really cheap Cubes around a while back, from german retailers, can’t remember who though…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

this shop in Luxembourg are worth keeping an eye on, http://www.rczbikeshop.co.uk

they recently had a Niner RIP 9 RDO for under a grand

crasher50

Why not buy a new anthem 29x, under 2 grand, keep your hardtail.

djflexure

You should look at the Devinci atlas – mines great – Freeborn supply frame only

here you go – in the sale too Carbon Atlas

They have full bikes for 300 more and a demo for the same price as frame

bigjim

Smuggler is good but isn’t necessarily the lightest frame to start with, having said that some people on mtbr have made pretty light builds

andyl46
    Free Member

Excuse the thread resurrection, but I may have an Ibis Ripley coming up for sale shortly, it’d fit the bill.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘FS XC Frame only without winning the lottery?’ is closed to new replies.