FS: Intense Socom – sad story

Home Forum Classifieds – For Sale FS: Intense Socom – sad story

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • FS: Intense Socom – sad story
  • jemima

Hello everybody,

This post is testing the water for interest. It involves a bit of a sad story…

I bought an Intense Socom 2nd hand (important point for later…) a while back. It was in super condition when I bought it and hadn't seen much use at all. I did a few uplifts on it and took it to the Alps for a week. I stupidly put the seatpost stupid high for the undulating traverse from the top of Super Morzine to Avoriaz and managed to create a small crack from the top of the weld between top tube flare and seat tube. This propagated into the seat tube a bit. Due to this I 'fell out of love' with the bike and bought a Sunday. The Intense has been hanging on my garage wall since I had no warranty. It is a nice wall decoration but it occurred to me that it may be of use to somebody – either to ride (I would judge that the crack has minimal influence on structural integrity as its at the top of the seat tube) or as spares (rear triangle or drop outs which I believe retail for £55 each).

Hence testing the water. Is it truly insulting to the biking community to offer a cracked frame for sale or would it be of interest for somebody?

Thanks.

senick

Hiya, any pics of the damage ?

Premier Icon Tiboy
    Subscriber

I'd take some pics too, might be interested as an occasional bike!

jemima

I'll pop out to garage in a bit and stick some up.

psychle

I'd be interested in some pics as well… and an idea of what price you're thinking for the frame? cheers 🙂

shiny

pictures as well please.
    Size?
    cheers
    shiny

cruzer

pictures please mate, and a rough price.

fastercars_41@hotmail.com

cheers

jemima

wow – really surprised by the interest.
    There are 6 pictures on flickr starting from this one:

Dscf4026

You can see that the crack has followed the top of the weld and then into the seat tube on both sides. This has meant that the top of the seat tube is canted backward a little but a seat post still fits and if its long enough will distribute the forces down the seat tube such that further crack propagation is minimised. I rode the bike in the Alps for another 4 days after the crack appeared and no further growth occurred (evident by the small vertical scratches at the ends of the crack).

The size is Large.

Really not sure what to say about price…

P.S. I scraped the paint off to observe the crack – the bare area is not all due to the bending/crack stress

stompy

Yeh Price would be good……. start the bidding off at 120 😈

jemima

When I was playing with the frame in the garage taking pics I also noted that some pivot bearings are a bit grunchy and might need replaced. The rear triangle bearings are nearly new but the front aren't. Maybe a clean and grease would do the job.

Ok, ok. Rather than start a bidding war how about a 'Dutch' auction and start at £250. Price gets lower until somebody says 'buy!'…???

Interestingly I was browsing CRC (to see if they have bearings – they don't but BETD do) and see that a pair of 150 mm Intense dropouts retail at £250!!! Crazy..

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39285

clydebuilt

I've repaired a similar crack very successfully with carbon tape and epoxy resin…

jemima

That's the clyde built spirit!
    I've discussed a few different repair options in an email with psychle but carbon and resin wasn't an idea I had – sounds like a good idea.

My favourite repair option is press fitting a good length of thick walled alu tube and then machining out to a smaller seatpost diameter than original, say a 27.2 instead of 31.6 gives an extra 2.2 mm of alu (way thicker than the seat tube itself) to reinforce things.

To be honest, I think a good stong and long seatpost would suffice as it distrubutes the load down the seat tube.

YETIboyJAY

Mailed you, i'd really like this. Cheers

bluemooner

interesting,,ive got the same problem on a SC chameleon..

clydebuilt

it was a chameleon I repaired this way, one of the mk1 ones with the 27.2 seatpost, believe it was a common problem.

Is this still for sale?
    Cheers,
    D

jemima

Hi Davey,

Its not been paid for yet but have two very interested people so 1st and 2nd dibs have gone. One of those two are certain to buy it so to all intents it is sold, yes. Thanks for your interest anyway.

Its been an interesting thread. I expected to be flamed for offering a 'broke' bike for sale but the interest in it has been great. I could have sold 5 broken Socoms!

jemima

That's it definitely sold now. Thanks for everybody’s interest.

YETIboyJAY

Ahh such a shame my 2nd dibbs didnt pay off. Just to shed some light onto why people were interested, or certainly why i was… It was a dream frame for 'coyote' and Kona money…albeit broken but nothing that some chemical metal and a long seatpost at the right height wouldnt have fixed. For that money i would have just rode it into the ground for years to come.

Ahh, stick to my shed of a DMR for now.

Cheers though mate.

psychle

sorry Yetiboy (though if it turns out to be too big for me, then it could well be back up for sale! probably will be fixed though 😉 . I'll let you know first chap, shall drop you an email if it does go that way.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘FS: Intense Socom – sad story’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top