Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • FS 29ers – "xc" vs "trail bikes" ?
  • mattjg
    Free Member

Riding CYB on my 9 year old Blur lat weekend, I decided it’s time for a new 29er FS, for the rides that will be a bit harsh, or just more fun, than on my trusty hardtail. My mates have carbon Tallboys but I’m not willing to pay the price for those.

Luckily there are loads of options in the £1500-£3k range, it turns out.

I thought I wanted a “trail bike” (120mm each end) – eg Giant Trance, Whyte T129.

But reading reviews, the “XC bike” format (100mm each end) look hugely capable and perhaps better for what I most enjoy which is fast flowy pedaly twisty singletrack. (Think Pink Heifer or Dreamtime at CYB). Bikes: Giant Anthem, Whyte M109.

I don’t jump, other than off the occasional step, but I do want a bike that can handle most of what I put it through, at least safely including a normal Alps trip. It doesn’t need to be brilliant at gnarr as long as it can get down it. It needs to be able to climb too.

I’m really a bit confused about categorisation between ‘xc’ and ‘trail’, it seems to come down to 20mm travel and a slacker head angle.

So right now I don’t really know what I want. Again.

Opinions/perspectives please, chime in ->

mattjg
    Free Member

(& I have a nice 29er HT, that I mostly run SS rigid bit it can take gears and sus forks, so just overlapping with that in terms of functionality is pointless).

the_lecht_rocks

my nicolai helius AC has 120mm of controlled Horst Link stable platform.

it’s a perfect trail bike.

gravity sports could hook you up on a nicolai within your upper budget i’d expect…..

IMAG0089 by the_lecht_rocks, on Flickr

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    the_lecht_rocks

oh, mine has a seemingly steep HA at around a measured 71 deg but it keeps the wheelbase shorter and it’s brilliantly nimble for a wagon wheeler.

tazzymtb

have a looky on twentynineinches.com they have some brilliant real world reviews of all the sorts of thing you want

Vinnyc
    Free Member

I loved my Anthem, very capable xc bike. My Trance is a beast though and is much more at home on the trails

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve plumped for an Anthem X1, should have it in a couple of weeks to compliment my Kinesis FF29 HT; the Whyte is heavy and not as good spec for the same money IMHO.

You’ll be surprised what you can ride with ‘only’ a 100mm 29’er, I’m faster both up & down at places such as Llandegla and The Marin, also Lee Quarry too on my Kinesis than I was on my 26″ wheeled Nicolai Helius CC (130mm FS), so I can only imagine the Anthem is gonna be faster still, especially once it points down 😯

My non-trail center based riding takes in a lot of woodsy, rooty single track and again the 100mm 29’er is faster.

roverpig

I can’t offer anything more than questions I’m afraid, but why a 29er?

I’m also intrigued by the notion that you don’t need long and slack bikes to get down technical stuff. I tend to agree that longer and slacker just lets you go down faster (with bigger consequences when you crash) but doesn’t actually let you get down anything that you couldn’t ride on a shorter travel, steeper bike.

That nicolai would be the perfect test of this theory I guess. A 71 degree HA with “only” 120mm of travel sounds as though it’s not going to handle anything too technical. But it probably does just fine in the right hands.

FWIW (which is basically nothing) my totally subjective and uninformed choice would be an Orange Gyro.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Why FS? I have a SS rigid Curtis 29er for general xc use and just built a 2 souls quarterhorse as a trail bike, 140mm fork, dropper post, and 2 x 10, taking this to Spain later this year. Rides fantastic too.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Some of us are softer than you my friend!

doug_basqueMTB.com

Not much I can´t get down / have´t got down on the Orbea Occam I tested a while back. Orbea Occam S10

They do aluminium ones too which I´m hoping to test soon. I´d probably buy an Aluminium H30X I think it is, with the 120mm fork.

mattjg
    Free Member

Thx all.

Why 29s? I’m a 29 convert. I don’t want to get into 26 vs 29, but it’s 29 for me.

Why FS? Because I have nice HT (which I happen to run SS rigid but coud take forks/gears) so I want something “more different” than a slacker HT.

But it’s all to play for, perhaps I’ll go full circle and stick with my Blur.

@vinny, what do you call a ‘trail’? I was thinking this at CYB, the climbs are XC the descents are XC but a tiny bit steeper with a few tidy rocks.

I live & ride down south, I guess actually my experience of real ‘trails’ if that means the Lakes, Scotland etc, au naturel, is limited.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If you’re after a more XC orientated bike then the C’Dale Scalpel 29er looks great. I’ve got the hardtail Flash alloy 29er and to be honest I use it more like a trail bike than an XC and it handles it fine. It also climbs like a train, really irons out the trail and is extremely manoeuvrable when things get technical (every bit as manoeuvrable as any 26er i’ve had, if not more). If the Scalpel is anything like the Flash, it’ll be a real serious machine.

mattjg
    Free Member

That Occam is nice. But £7k .. nah. Yes an aluminium version could be interesting.

Nicolais and Oranges always look a bit girdery to me, but I haven’t ridden them. Yeah the Gyro could be a contender.

Scalpel – could be, thx for the idea. I don’t think I have a dealer local.

takisawa2

I’d happily wheel a Trek Rumblefish out the bike shop door if I had a few G’s spare. I couldn’t believe a mountain bike could move so quick, but feel so in control. Absolutely not what I was expecting.

dickie
    Free Member

Went to a bike demo recently at Dalby & tried a Pace RC129, Santa Cruz Tallboy, Santa Cruz Superlight 29er, Santa Cruz TRc, Scott Genius 720 (650b) but the best & last bike I tested was a Scott Spark 920 (29er). It just felt right, light & capable.

In WhatMTB? there’s a full range of short travel 29ers on test – the Whyte M109 won.

Or Salsa Spearfish custom build – frame £640.

tazzymtb

or the ellsworth are all ones I keep considereing

stevelolly
    Free Member

First ride on my Anthem X1 today and over the moon with it. Mines a 2013 model and got it for a cracking price. If your interested in one mail me and I’ll put you in touch with the shop I got it from.

mattjg
    Free Member

Steve thx I have a Giant dealer locally.

sambob
    Free Member

I love my Salsa Horsethief, it’s chuffing awesome.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Matt, I was in the same boat last year. XC 29 or Trail version. From testing it was vey clear for me – XC bikes suited me much more thatpn trails bikes. Then like you, my head has been turned by Trance 29 ER. So doing a head to head demo of trance versus anthem to finally make my mind up!! I will report back!!! Of course, I am also complicating things by demoing a cube AMS 120 pro this week as well.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I have a Lapierre XR529 which is a 10.7kg 100mm XC race whippet(ish) after a wheel upgrade and love thrashing it round the trails. Here’s some poorly angled GoPro clips from CYB for your comparison: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfzKPGs3rvw

mattjg
    Free Member

The Devinci looks nice, and the Rocky, are you secret gearie Taz?

And any bike like the Rumblefish that has the shock inline below the top tube looks right to me.

There’s too much choice really.

the_lecht_rocks

You really want a Nicolai…..

IMAG0103 by the_lecht_rocks, on Flickr

mattjg
    Free Member

@teamhurtmore I responded on the thread we were using a couple of days ago btw – there is a Giant dealer in Guildford in case you’re not aware. Yeah report back pls!

mattjg
    Free Member

sorry lecht but it totally does not float my boat visually! but I’ll demo one if I can 4s, ta for the recommendation.

tazzymtb

are you secret gearie Taz?

Only for serious stuff, considering the south downs double, 29er boing and gears perfect for the under 24hrs I want…will then do it SS for a personal challenge and aim for under 30

Clink

Only for serious stuff, considering the south downs double, 29er boing and gears perfect for the under 24hrs I want…will then do it SS for a personal challenge and aim for under 30

Count me in!! 😉

chrispuppet

I have had a Specialized Camber since November and for me it does all the things you want it to. Climbs very well and has already saved me from some ambition over ability descents so far. Just need some nice dusty trails now like in the brochure…..

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sorry Matt I have been away. I know about the store thanks. Looking forward to straight head to head on the same runs. One day bashing around SH, the other more XC stuff up and around Punchbowl area. Should clarify the mind.

Tried a davinci 26 last summer, nice bike v other 26 trails (stumpy, fuel ex) but why the extra price? Can’t see that one.

tazzymtb

Count me in!!

for the SS or geared version clinky?

chrispuppet

when it was all shiny and new….

Gotama
    Free Member

How about the canyon nerve 29, looks great on paper, just lack of test ride means its a bit of gamble. Tried and tested linkage though. Or transition bandit?

Clink

Count me in!!
    for the SS or geared version clinky?

Either/both!

mattjg
    Free Member

Canyons look OK Gotama, have you ridden one?

So 20 hours later I’m thinking for a trailsy XC/ST bike rather than a full-on trail bike. As someone said at the beginning, most bikes can get down most things, pilot allowing, and I’m not an edge of the seat rider anyway. Also I quite enjoy a bit of a climb.

And I’m thinking max budget £3k and a tad, to include dropper, but happy to spend less. Value is king. I’m liking the look of the M109S especially those wheels, but overall it comes out a bit heavy.

mattjg
    Free Member

(or an XC-ST ish trail bike!)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

With your budget Matt, you should also try the Spesh epic. IMO head and shoulders above other XCs I demoed when it came to climbing. Flew up Pitch Fire Roads as if it had a motor on it. Fast down and very manageable – but the difference not as noticeable against its brilliant climbing ability. I demoed the epic expert carbon (but sadly 4k, which I won’t spend on a MTB)

roverpig

As someone said at the beginning, most bikes can get down most things, pilot allowing, and I’m not an edge of the seat rider anyway. Also I quite enjoy a bit of a climb.

I think that was me, but would you really be comfortable riding down a steep technical section on something with 100mm of travel and a 71 degree HA? That’s a genuine question. I have no idea, but would be nervous of getting a bike that would exclude me from some trails.

Tom-B
    Free Member

My Trance 29er in the Peaks yesterday….by god do I love it (my first full susser and first 29er). Feels so stable on descents and rolls over anything, rocks/boulders/walkers etc 🙂

Did I mention that I love it!

mattjg
    Free Member

I think that was me, but would you really be comfortable riding down a steep technical section on something with 100mm of travel and a 71 degree HA? That’s a genuine question. I have no idea, but would be nervous of getting a bike that would exclude me from some trails.

I have no idea either!

(If I don’t like the look of something nowadays I walk anyway, I’ve served my hospital time and have nothing to prove).

@th yeah 4k’s too much, 3.5 is probably too. I’m going to go ponder and ride my 9 year old Blur a bit more. I’ll look at the Epic ta, somehow I don’t see myself on Spesh but that’s a bit of inverted snobbery partly. Cycleworks Leatherhead are doing a demo day in March @ Holmbury btw.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘FS 29ers – "xc" vs "trail bikes" ?’ is closed to new replies.