Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • 2012 Shimano XT brakes fresh back from Rose – Warranty
  • alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

My rear brake devolped some sort of fault – brake fluid kept somehow leaking onto the pads.

I sent it back on 10.05.12.

Got it back today – brand new caliper (in a box) so now i have to attach myself and get it bled?

Why should i have to re-attach the caliper to hose and pay someone to bleed it when it was a warranty issue?

Alan.

legend
    Free Member

pay someone to bleed it

bleed it yourself?

Other than that it does seem a bit strange that they haven’t rebuild the brake for you

dirtydog
    Free Member

Should of bought them from your LBS.

boxelder

Dirtydog + 1

One of the reasons mail order is cheaper.
    Canyon will cover up to 15 quid of repairs though – a well written mail pointing this out might work?

continuity
    Free Member

Will buy. email in profile e.t.c

monkeyboyjc

Canyon will cover up to 15 quid of repairs though

on warrenty repairs on full bikes – not just a brake bought seperatly…

OP just bleed it your self…

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

My point is it should have come back assembled.

I could bleed it myself, but would need to buy fluid = more money!

+ it gets worse, went to fit it to the bike – it is missing the banjo bolt and a banjo o ring!

Frigging nightmare! 🙁

Lesson learned – buy from lbs in future!

dirtydog
    Free Member

My point is it should have come back assembled.

I could bleed it myself, but would need to buy fluid = more money!

+ it gets worse, went to fit it to the bike – it is missing the banjo bolt and a banjo o ring!

Frigging nightmare!

Lesson learned – buy from lbs in future!

link

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

dirtydog – link not working?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Ha, ha! – Just noticed the url 🙂

j40aja
    Free Member

Why should someone have to bleed brakes themselves when they come back from a warranty repair?

If you car was put into the dealer for a brake issue which required a new caliper would you expect to have to bleed the brakes to have them working properly? I think not

Shimano obviously at fault mostly but Rose should’ve inspected them prior to dispatch. I’d be really annoyed as the O.P rightly is too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

considering rose actually have little liability here then a new calliper is a good deal. Missing parts is very poor.

Have you tried emailing rose bikes?

1981miked
    Free Member

Didn’t you LBS tell you to “never shop in my shop again”

You really are a bad man Mr Petrie…

continuity
    Free Member

considering rose actually have little liability here

I don’t know what country you live in, but I’m pretty sure they do.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Cheers, so many folk saying i should bleed them myself??? – Nonsense.

I have emailed Rose – Hope to get this resolved soon.

Poor show from Rose not checking the bits that they sent back me thinks.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

continuity – Member

“considering rose actually have little liability here”

I don’t know what country you live in, but I’m pretty sure they do.

really? I live in the UK – ale of goods act does not apply to overseas purchases. shimano warranty is discrtetionary and is with shimano not rose bikes. Not sure how the EC directives affect this

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

1981miked – Ha, ha.

I have many local bike shops, the most local to me is the one i’ll never set foot in again.

Cycleworld in Arbroath on the other hand, i will be in again, bit more of a journey, but they have a mechanic! – A thing of dreams for my most lbs salesman.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Whereabouts are you based? If Rose don’t play ball, I’ll bleed them for you FOC if you are nearby.

http://www.bike-it-all.co.uk

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Monifieth in Angus, Scotland 🙂

Thanks for the offer, but we are a good distance apart.

It’s not just the bleeding – im minus a banjo bolt and a banjo o-ring 🙁

(there fault as i returned a fully assembled brake )

vannoying.com

1981miked
    Free Member

Have you burst your Banjo then??? Ouch!

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

This is a serious thread – Your starting work at 4.30am – GO TO BED!

Superficial
    Free Member

It’s not the end of the world, is it? Buy the appropriate spacers from chainreaction (or rose?) and GOI. I agree that in an ideal world they would rebuild and bleed for you, but if they offered that sort of service, they’d have to charge more.

For all the “Should have shopped at your LBS crew”, the brakes were literally half price compared with UK RRP and I got them from Germany before they were in UK shops. I’m happy to save money and buy cheap stuff, and accept that if it breaks I’ll probably have to fix it myself.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Superficial – I google searched ( can’t find it now 🙁 ) and found that Shimano are aware of an issue with these brakes – where the banjo fitting is crimped onto the hose,

The machine in the factory was not crimping them properly – my fault – No.

So why should i be out of pocket in any way for there cock-up?

And as for how much i paid for them – that does not even come into it IMO.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Update!

Rose agreed to refund me for a brake bleed! 😀

On the other hand, just got round to fitting caliper on Friday past, took it to Alpine Bikes Glentress yesterday to get it bled and it is also leaking fluid! 🙄

The kind chap never charged me though.

At least i know where it is coming from now.

The fluid is seeping from where the two piece caliper joint is.

Another long haul waiting – freeking bad times 😥

shortcut

Just tighten up the bolt where it is leaking 1/4 turn should do it.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

The mechanic at Alpine Bikes said he did that.

Will have a look myself tho.

shortcut

Essentially there are two halves with a bolt (with holes) going through and a rubber o ring. It is not complex or difficult.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Just had a look.

The torx head bolt holds on side, an allen key ( banjo bolt ) holds the other, both done up tight.

If i go messing about taking the caliper apart, i will probably void any warranty i have with Rose.

I do have the same brakes on my hardtail, so doing a bit of swapping between bikes in the mean time.

DrP

In contrast (kind of) I had cracking service from rose, especially Fin overhere on our little island.
    I returned the front XT to him, and a week or so later got a replacement hose/calliper from Madison. Yes, the hose will need shortening and bleeding again, but I accept that to save £80 or so quid for the set (from Rose as opposed to lbs) then a bit of manly DIY is needed!!!

DrP

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

DrP – Would you suggest me contacting Fin and maybe sending it back to him then?

Alan.

DickBarton

So you aren’t going to bleed the brake and hope Rose sorts it…for that to happen you need to send it back to Rose (who will undoubtedly do the work but probably not on the day it arrives) and then post it back to you…

How many bikes do you own? If it is just 1 and it is the one without a brake, then you are quite happy not to be riding for a wee while longer? If you have more than 1, then knock yourself out with this pursuit…

Get it bled yourself and then whinge to Rose about poor service…otherwise take the hit and send it back to Rose and wait while they get round to sorting your problem out.

Mineral oil costs very little and I thought Rose did a mailback service so unless you stumped up postage then it isn’t a lot of more money.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Alpine bikes bled it for me yesterday, but informed and showed me that it was faulty and seeping fluid.

I have 2 bikes, so no big deal.

I will send it back and hope it gets sorted out soon.

Going to try what DrP suggested and send it back to Fin, who is within the UK and works for Rose – i think…………

dickie
    Free Member

I thought my poor performing XT rear caliper needed a bleed, so I bled it & it was no better.
    Then noticed it was leaking so returned it for a warranty repair.
    Warranty voided – I bled it with Finish Line Mineral oil so they said they weren’t interested!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘2012 Shimano XT brakes fresh back from Rose – Warranty’ is closed to new replies.