Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Fryingpanworld – what's good?
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

We have two pans, both on their last legs.

I want cast iron, other half doesn’t due to weight.

Neither of us want teflon-coated non-stick.

What’s good out there?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Eggs an’ sausages an’ bacon.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

You can frying pans made out of eggs, sausages an’ bacon?

😯

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jimw
    Free Member

Circulon, the hard anodised ones
    We have one that is 15 years old and counting…….

doris5000

i think hard anodized is the new Teflon.

we went round John Lewis weighing up all the frying pans (obviously it’s impossible to find one in the size you want with the depth you want with the type of handle you want that your wife can still lift) and eventually plumped for a Raymond Blanc jobbie.

It was £85ish and has been superb. 2 years old now and it’s starting to stick a bit, but it does get used 6 or 7 days a week. Probably get another year out of it before it gets really annoying. I reckon that’s reasonable value…

I still don’t like the handle though.

johndoh
    Free Member

You need one of these…

johndoh
    Free Member

BTW, I would suggest going in to TK Maxx – they have loads and they all cost around £10 so if it only lasts a couple of years it doesn’t matter.

twisty

You could get a Carbon steel pan, they come in hard anodized versions too.

km79
    Free Member

Who fry’s CDs?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

BTW, I would suggest going in to TK Maxx – they have loads and they all cost around £10 so if it only lasts a couple of years it doesn’t matter.

Plan!

You could get a Carbon steel pan, they come in hard anodized versions too.

Thanks – that’s worth researching.

Anyone used a ceramic pan?

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

The best pan I have bought is a Sautee pan, used for everything as it doesn’t seem to burn food on the base when cooking a curry or risotto type dish, just simmers away quite happily. Probably OK for frying but to be honest I don’t tend to fry much. Got it from TK Maxx
    And is a Hairy Bikers branded non stick jobbie.

muttley109
    Free Member

I’m slowly replacing all my pots and pans with le creuset stuff. Last year i bought a toughened non-stick saute pan with lid and it is my go to pan for most things. The thing is indestructible and it doesn’t lie, nothing sticks at all not matter how little oil you use. It is expensive but if you can find a le creuset outlet shop you can save a fair bit.

dashed
    Free Member

Someone bought us a WOLL pan as a wedding present recently – best non stick pan I’ve ever used, can go in dishwasher (although we don’t bother as so non-stick that it’s a doddle to clean), can use metal tools etc, plus handle comes off and it can go straight in the over (with lid) for stews etc.

Guess it’s something like this (but have to admit I’d not have bought one myself!):
    linky

speed12
    Free Member

Hard anodized pans will still have a non-stick coating applied to them; it’s just the base material. I use the Circulon pans as well and they are ace for non-stick pans.

Best bet if you don’t want cast iron is to go for a carbon steel pan; as soon as the seasoning is built up on it then it will be about as non-stick as a teflon pan but you can use it up to mega high temperatures.

Plain stainless pans are great for high temp cooking – if you can find any triple ply ones then even better as the heat distribution will be significantly better than single ply stainless. A lot of people think plain stainless is crap and everything sticks to it, but the trick is to let the pan throroughly heat through before adding any oil. Once a drop of water evaporates instantly, add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan and let it heat back up. Then add lovely meaty things. Said lovely meaty things will seem like they have stuck but that is exactly what you want so they brown properly (which is why meat doesn’t brown properly in a non-stick pan) – when it has cooked it will release itself and you can just deglaze the pan with some water/wine/stock and jobs a good’un!

funkynick

My favourite pan is our De Buyer black iron frying pan… it’s just brilliant, and without much looking after I expect it to outlive me by a long way!

I’ll never get a non-stick pan again!

We’ve got one of these.

rone

Gastroguss. Swiss Diamond. Crafond. Not Let Creuset – poor quality non-stick pans and expensive. Rubbish customer service too after spending £300 on pans that lost their coating quite quickly.

SaxonRider

I can’t imagine living without a cast iron pan. We also have a cast iron griddle for big jobs.

Can you convince your OH?

muttley109
    Free Member

My le creuset stuff has been great. So far after two years of daily use it all looks new. The toughened non stick saute pan I’ve only had for a year but it still looks brand new. They do say not to use full heat as it will cause the coating to come off but apparently that’s the same for any non stuck coating. The trick is to use a medium heat and let it heat up. It takes a while it once it’s up to temp it holds it well. I haven’t heard of any other problems with le creuset quality

andyha
    Free Member

Bourgeat if you are flush, genware if not, stainless steel, I would recommend both.

inverjoe
    Free Member

Le crueset cast iron… had it for years, then when the teflon started to come off, I took an angle grinder and a flap disc to the inside of it, then seasoned it with oil (out in the garden, didnt want the smoke alarms going off in the house)

brant
    Free Member

I have some Le Crueset kit that I recovered from Tod tip including a frying pan but much prefer my Circulon ones. Lighter to handle for shaking and tossing (guffaw).

Love my huge Circulon casserole pot thing. But wouldn’t want to use the frying pan.

thecaptain
    Free Member

My circulon didn’t last. non-stick coating came off the top of the ridges (perhaps due to very vigorous scrubbing by someone else) after which it was like a stick pan with extra grip. Could do bacon and sausages but eggs were a nightmare.

I’m interesting in the berghoff range, saw an impressive demo at a show but am aware that these things are often a bit of a con.

Alternatively, I love my griddle pan with ridges. Well seasoned and it’s the dog’s bollocks for steak. Just used it tonight in fact. Cheap off ebay or amazon but proper cast iron non some non-stick crap.

rone

haven’t heard of any other problems with le creuset quality

Having compared it with the Swiss Diamond/Gastroguss stuff I’ve had for years. It’s not weathering well at all.

Only had to change with the move to induction.

brant
    Free Member

My circulon didn’t last. non-stick coating came off the top of the ridges (perhaps due to very vigorous scrubbing by someone else) after which it was like a stick pan with extra grip. Could do bacon and sausages but eggs were a nightmare.

Reading the seasoning instructions and never using metal tools seems to make mine last a long time. YMMV.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I’m loving these for steaks in a wood fired oven, on a kamado or just on a gas hob: http://www.souschef.co.uk/tawa-pan.html

km79
    Free Member

I’ve used a shovel over a campfire in a similar style.

slowster
    Free Member

Pimpmaster, you have not said what sort of things you would usually cook, which will be a factor in the choice of pan (as would the type of hob if induction). However, I would suggest you replace your current two pans with…two pans:

1. A cast iron pan

2. An aluminium non-stick pan

These two types of pan have different properties, which makes them more suitable for cooking different foods, e.g steak in a cast iron pan and eggs in a non-stick pan.

Reserving the non-stick pan for eggs etc. will prolong the useful life of the coating, as will not using metal utensils.

Bourgeat is a good quality brand of aluminium non-stick frying pan used in many commercial kitchens, and is not particularly expensive. You can buy it on Amazon or from commercial catering suppliers, e.g.

https://www.pattersons.co.uk/products/20010-Cookware

For cast iron, you will need to decide between plain cast iron which must be kept seasoned, e.g. Lodge, and enamelled cast iron, e.g. Le Creuset, Chasseur and Staub.

Some cast iron pans have a wooden handle and so will not be suitable to put in the oven. Since they are so heavy anyway that you will not be using the handle of a cast iron frying pan to flip the contents of the pan, you might want to consider a pan without a long handle, and with a lid. The Le Creuset version of this, which they call a shallow casserole, is expensive, but it is a very versatile type of pan.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’ve been using a Stellar stainless steel pan set for 18 years now (wedding gift) the frypan is still looking pretty much like new despite having been used almost daily. It’s the 1000 24 cm frypan and it’s perfect for frying, making sauces, chilli, curries etc etc. Cleans easily and not too heavy. I highly recommend their stuff.

http://www.stellarcookware.co.uk/Products/Cookware/Stellar-1000/Frypan.html

km79
    Free Member
    blastit
    Free Member

After our induction hob destroying quite a few pans, black iron pans have been the best ever and one of the cheapest. Seen in many commercial kitchens the world over.
    They get better as they get more use as they build up a non stick coating , lot lighter than cast and just as good.

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/iron-frying-pans/q03.r12.1/Search.raction

rjmccann101

I have a spun iron pan from here.

sweepy
    Free Member

Get a cast iron pan and let her sort herself out OP, to be honest I don’t really like the Mrs using the cast iron pan as I don’t trust her not to wash it.

I think ours cost about twelve quid

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Who fry’s CDs?

The same people who have them sauteed alphabetically

colournoise

+1 Slowster.

Cast iron and non-stick aluminium pairing. I go for generic non-wooden handled heavy cast iron pans from Amazon or wherever and they get seasoned properly and used for frying meat mostly (might be obvious but remember to never use washing up liquid on these pans!). Non-stick aluminium for eggs, omelettes, etc.

Stuff that needs to be braised, stewed, etc. goes in a thick-based stainless steel saute pan.

Just to ring the changes I also have a nice thick non-stick cast aluminium plancha that gets used in place of the cast iron pan from time to time.

(gas hob)

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

My favourite pan is our De Buyer black iron frying pan… it’s just brilliant, and without much looking after I expect it to outlive me by a long way!

I’ll never get a non-stick pan again!

This man has it, De Buyer are excellent. Once seasoned are completely non-stick, and can be thrown in the oven too.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Lots to read through – thanks all.

I’m slowly replacing all my pots and pans with le creuset stuff.

We’ve gone the other way. In the six years Mistress Jazz and I have co-habited the Le Creuset products in the dwelling have diminished from several to none. She hates them with a passion as she finds them too heavy to lift. Personally I love them, but don’t really fancy doing all the cooking, all the time.

This man has it, De Buyer are excellent. Once seasoned are completely non-stick, and can be thrown in the oven too.

Sounds daft, but how heavy are they? Safe to assume lighter than cast iron?

footflaps

Ours is a Circulon non-stick or at least it doesn’t seem to stick. Can’t fault it. No idea where it came from / what model it is though….

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I love my Berndes pan, a good weight, nice and stable, non-sticky and super easy to clean. It’s just starting to get a little bit tired after probably 10-12 years of reasonably heavy use and somebody else unnecessarily cleaning it with a scourer. I’m keeping my eyes peeled for another at a good price as this was a £15 TKMaxx purchase, frustrating as a local charity shop that has closed down has three in the window.

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Sounds daft, but how heavy are they? Safe to assume lighter than cast iron?

Way lighter than cast iron, similar to thick based Ali pans like skk.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Fryingpanworld – what's good?’ is closed to new replies.