Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Frustration and Aggression
  • I’m working my arse off for the success of a project which I am personally involved in and reflects on me. I’ve given it my all and it is still failing regardless, due to circumstances which are outside of my control.

Other individuals in the project don’t seem to be giving as much, and have other priorities. Fair enough, if this isn’t your real priority. I’ve picked up the slack where I can to move things on, but I’m struggling to jump over every obstacle as we meet them. I could sustain this level of effort if results were presenting themselves, but not when I/we are constantly losing battles.

I’m pretty wound up about all this, and I have other commitments I have to meet too, which are suffering in progress due to the resource consumption on this major project. Not sure what to do. How can I let my aggression and frustration out in a non-damaging way to the project or anyone else? I can feel myself coming close to boiling over, so I need to do something about it. Counselling/support in the formal arranged sense is not an option unfortunately, the service here is poor and infrequent.

Edit – epic failure to change my old email address as a username before posting this! oh well, done now.

crikey
    Free Member

Um, first stop using your academic e-mail address as your user name?

Liftman

Can I be the first to say MTFU

crikey
    Free Member

Second, as noted above, get a grip you big blouse.

project
    Free Member

Youre a teenager arent you, youll soon realise thats waht life is like.

daftvader
    Free Member

Go join a martial arts club. this helped me with my anger/agression issues. You can learn to chanell it and to focus it into usable energy without the feeling its going to make your head explode. Other sports may also help….i get propper grumpy when I cant do sport.
    Mostly i suppose its about getting completely away from that which is pissing you off, to the point where you dont think about it. plus if it gets you completely nackered youll get a good nights sleep and that always helps
    Cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

What’s that saying…change what you can, accept what you can’t?

davidjones15
    Free Member

YGM. Lots. 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

pitduck
    Free Member

get an axe,find a busy street,enjoy 😆

bwaarp
    Free Member

Talk to your academic advisor. They get mightily pissed when they hear one person has been doing most of the group work, they will probably allow you to do an assignment by yourself. I’ve always been one for the nuclear option. Aggression is a good thing as long as you don’t do anything illegal, you are letting these people walk all over you because you are scared of your own shadow. I was when I was younger. Sod what other people think of you and just do what you have to do to get where you want, a lot of people you meet will attempt to drag you down in life.

Also, get a girlfriend/boyfriend/sheep/regular sexy time. Have a good evening, chill out and don’t get overly stressed. If you feel things are getting to much speak to your GP who can point you in the direction of stress workshops etc. Eat well and exercise.

The people on here are ****. University can be incredibly stressful, more so than employment as fellow students are accountable to no one and at least with my degree it’s a 9-5 that doesn’t finish when I get home (it blurs the lines between personal life and work). This is especially true if you are studying law, medicine or architecture.

Take it easy. I hope I helped.

bwaarp
    Free Member

and honestly Crikey you of all people should know that the brains of younger people are not fully matured so they are prone to getting caught up in issues such as this.

At the end of the day the person at the end of this internet conversation is another human being in enough stress to make a forum post. He doesn’t seem to feel as if he’s got enough support at university, maybe some friendly encouragement no?

I wish someone had shown me how to get my head on straight earlier, if they had I might have been doing real medicine as opposed to Biomedicine by now. Specializing in something interesting like Oncology or Neuropsych. Oh well.

stumpy01

Ha. That’s amusing. I still use my old Brunel log-in as my e-mail address (obviously not with the brunel bit on the end) as it was easy to give to friends at the end of uni.

Anyhoo. I know what you mean. I did mech eng at Brunel & regularly had to do ‘group projects’ where we had no choice about who we were paired up with.
    Most of the time I ended up with a total group of stoners who would do pretty much nothing until the evening before it was all due in.

Have a word with your tutor and express your concerns. Nothing can be done, if you don’t let people know there is a problem.

Sidney
    Free Member

+1 for the martial arts club.

I found Ju Jitsu great, nothing like getting thrown into the mat a few times and returning the favour to get some energy/frustration out.

deadslow

There is at least someone else who has anger management issues in the news. Chisora to get anger management classes.Hope you don’t land in the same class as him.
    But seriously now…+1 for change the things you can and don’t worry about the things you cant. Do talk to your tutor that is within your control

br
    Free Member

Go sick, see what happens? 😉

peterfile
    Free Member

This is especially true if you are studying law, medicine or architecture.

I disagree. I studied law for 6 years and it’s a mickey mouse subject. Worked full time alongside “full-time” study. Seriously, anyone who thinks that law is a demanding degree ought to have a word with themselves.

mogrim

The people on here are ****. University can be incredibly stressful, more so than employment as fellow students are accountable to no one and at least with my degree it’s a 9-5 that doesn’t finish when I get home (it blurs the lines between personal life and work). This is especially true if you are studying law, medicine or architecture.

You’ve not held down a real job, then?

edlong
    Free Member

Take out your frustration and anger on a (long if you can) bike ride.

teasel
    Free Member

Someone once said to me that you can always lose an inch or so from your shoulders. Try consciously dropping them occasionally and if you consume drinks with caffeine in, refrain from doing so when working.

IMO, aggression and frustration have no place in martial arts – it’s about poise and control.

pitduck
    Free Member

can`t see whats wrong with the axe idea 😆

iDave
    Free Member

life is hard
    the goal posts move
    nothing is guaranteed

when you (the OP) grow up you will learn this and be happier about life.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Frustration and Aggression’ is closed to new replies.